Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Starter motor

Old 11-06-2018, 10:47 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Babb101
Ok so I carefully watched the rockers whilst pulling the cord, and couldn't see any movement on compression release, I think it moved once in like 10 cycles! It seems to be clicking too, is this the ball bearing sinking into the cam??
I felt the groove thats been created on the exhaust rocker and it feels pretty pronounced, and I'm guessing as it's not moving when turning over it's too deep, therefore not allowing compression release? Is there anything I can do about this or will I just have to replace the exhaust rocker with a new one??
Also, are you able to confirm that I've done my valve adjustments correctly? Thanks
If the exhaust rocker doesnt move at all when the ball rolls underneath it, the rocker going to need replaced, possibly the cam as well, I would say next thing to do is drain the coolant, remove the thermostat housing and cam cover. We need to check the release rod. I have seen the rod inside the cam break once on an aftermarket cam set up, and have seen wear on the rod that would lessen the travel of the ball too. This part you wont be able to see with just the valve cover removed. More covers need removed to see it. As far as setting the valve clearance, just make sure the rocker arm is not on the lobe of the cam, at all, and the exhaust isnt on the ball. Set it to .006 and you should be fine.

Old 03-23-2019, 09:33 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 94harley
If the exhaust rocker doesnt move at all when the ball rolls underneath it, the rocker going to need replaced, possibly the cam as well, I would say next thing to do is drain the coolant, remove the thermostat housing and cam cover. We need to check the release rod. I have seen the rod inside the cam break once on an aftermarket cam set up, and have seen wear on the rod that would lessen the travel of the ball too. This part you wont be able to see with just the valve cover removed. More covers need removed to see it. As far as setting the valve clearance, just make sure the rocker arm is not on the lobe of the cam, at all, and the exhaust isnt on the ball. Set it to .006 and you should be fine.
Hi, I hope you're well, and still able to help me!! I've finally got around to getting the release rod, I took it out and it looks fine, apart from a very small amount of wear at the very end (I assume this is where the ball rolls around it) the cam itself doesn't look worn at all, all three lobes appear to be the same height! Any thoughts on what my next move is!? Again really appreciate all your help.