Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Trailboss 250 - Do I have to use a Clutch Puller Tool?

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2003, 12:46 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trailboss 250 - Do I have to use a Clutch Puller Tool?

I need to remove the clutch off a 1986 Trailboss 250. The manual says to use a Clutch Drive Pulley Puller (Part# 2870506).
Is this neccessary? Does anyone know of another way? Or know what size the threads are inside the clutch?
Thanks.

Old 10-30-2003, 12:53 AM
Elite Pro Rider

For the secondary clutch you don't need a puller unless the clutch is stuck. For the primary you do need a puller. I have heard that people have made them with a trailer ball? I am not sure on the details of it though

Old 10-30-2003, 12:58 AM
Range Rover

You can buy the primary clutch puller for around $20 from HPD or Hot Seat.

Old 10-30-2003, 07:10 AM
vig
Range Rover

Do a search on this forum for clutch puller or just clutch. That is what I did, and found the info to make a primary clutch puller, it was pretty easy and cost around 5 bucks. Works great.

Old 10-30-2003, 08:45 AM
Pro Rider

The threads inside the primary clutch are 5/8 fine thread. I use the pressure bolt from the center of my large gear puller, which just happens to be the same thread pitch and is long enough to work (maybe a free rental at autozone?). If you use a bolt, you will have to "space" the distance from the end of the bolt to end of crankshaft with a socket or something - grease on the ends makes turning easier. Sometimes the clutch won't come off even with an air impact - tigthen puller bolt a tight as you can, then smack the end of the bolt with a sledge - try tightening more - smack again - repeat until it comes off.

If the secondary clutch is stuck - the only way I know to get it off is with a puller specifically designed for it. Use anti-sieze compound when installing reduces the possibility of sticking for the next time you take it off.

Old 10-11-2018, 05:04 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by quadwrench
The threads inside the primary clutch are 5/8 fine thread. I use the pressure bolt from the center of my large gear puller, which just happens to be the same thread pitch and is long enough to work (maybe a free rental at autozone?). If you use a bolt, you will have to "space" the distance from the end of the bolt to end of crankshaft with a socket or something - grease on the ends makes turning easier. Sometimes the clutch won't come off even with an air impact - tigthen puller bolt a tight as you can, then smack the end of the bolt with a sledge - try tightening more - smack again - repeat until it comes off.

If the secondary clutch is stuck - the only way I know to get it off is with a puller specifically designed for it. Use anti-sieze compound when installing reduces the possibility of sticking for the next time you take it off.

Either its not 5/8 fine thred on a 92 or you just wasted a lot of pepoles time!!!

Old 10-11-2018, 05:23 PM
Pro Rider

Its a 3/4 fine thread bolt. Get a shaft that fits inside the clutch bolt hole and cut it to 3 1/4 in long. Put the shaft in, thread the bolt in and you will get the clutch off.

I have in the past(in the mountains, not at my shop) used a trailer hitch ball with the 3/4 fine thread on it to remove the clutch, all I had to do was make the shaft and it will work.

Old 10-11-2018, 05:52 PM
THE BERMINATOR
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think the guy who asked the question 15 years ago got the answer he needed.

Old 10-11-2018, 06:04 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by Big Frank
I think the guy who asked the question 15 years ago got the answer he needed.
I wouldn't argue that with you!!!!! Didnt even see that. Been a while since I have been on this forum, was just going through the latest posts! Ill have to look from here on out!!!!

Old 10-11-2018, 07:29 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by 94harley
Its a 3/4 fine thread bolt. Get a shaft that fits inside the clutch bolt hole and cut it to 3 1/4 in long. Put the shaft in, thread the bolt in and you will get the clutch off.

I have in the past(in the mountains, not at my shop) used a trailer hitch ball with the 3/4 fine thread on it to remove the clutch, all I had to do was make the shaft and it will work.
I would have loved to know that earlier today when I was on this thread looking for the right information, People should not talk if they don't know what they're talking about!!! it ruined my day wasted my money thanks for posting the correct info I was just coming to do that its 3/4 much 16 threads per inch and it needs to be 9 inches long to go all the way inside the clutch to bottom out, NOT 5/8 INCH FINE THREAD!!!! IM PISSED DUDED WHO COMENTED THAT IS A LOSSER

Quick Reply: Trailboss 250 - Do I have to use a Clutch Puller Tool?