Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

2006 Sportsman 500 efi wont start

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2019, 10:27 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2006 Sportsman 500 efi wont start

Wont Start.. Turns over just wont start. tested fuel pump-ok. Think its electrical, Fuel injector not opening to let fuel in, it has current when turned on. checked all wiring from all sensors with meter and all ok. Did notice on the ecm the JS2 side that the connector pin was burnt on one of the yellow pins, this side has 3 yellow wires going down to the cdi?, if you spray a little start fluid in it when starting it will run.

Any help will be Grateful of

Richard

Old 02-09-2019, 10:37 PM
Pro Rider

[QUOTE=rorrilljr;3412669]Wont Start.. Turns over just wont start. tested fuel pump-ok. Think its electrical, Fuel injector not opening to let fuel in, it has current when turned on. checked all wiring from all sensors with meter and all ok. Did notice on the ecm the JS2 side that the connector pin was burnt on one of the yellow pins, this side has 3 yellow wires going down to the cdi?, if you spray a little start fluid in it when starting it will run.

I'd like to look at a service manual on this one(I have them at work, not at home) what is the JS2 side of the ecm? Or is that what the wiring diagram calls the connection?

Old 02-09-2019, 11:22 PM
Weekend Warrior

It’s on the left side of the ecm. Js1 has the red and black wires plus many other and Js2 has the 3 yellow wires plus many others. We even tested the fuel injector and it was ok. It just won’t open and let the fuel in. Maybe a bad ecm? I’m just not sure. [QUOTE=94harley;3412674]
Originally Posted by rorrilljr
Wont Start.. Turns over just wont start. tested fuel pump-ok. Think its electrical, Fuel injector not opening to let fuel in, it has current when turned on. checked all wiring from all sensors with meter and all ok. Did notice on the ecm the JS2 side that the connector pin was burnt on one of the yellow pins, this side has 3 yellow wires going down to the cdi?, if you spray a little start fluid in it when starting it will run.

I'd like to look at a service manual on this one(I have them at work, not at home) what is the JS2 side of the ecm? Or is that what the wiring diagram calls the connection?

Old 02-10-2019, 04:24 PM
Pro Rider

Are you talking about this module(Controller Module) above, 4011226 instead of a "CDI' That machine had an ECM, engine control module, and a (What I call) a PDM, power distribution module(polaris parts book calls it a "Control Module", manual calls it a PDM). That machine doesnt actually have a "CDI" Its all done in the engine control module which is this part below. The fuel injector should have voltage with the key on, the ECM(below) provides the ground to fire it. The above PDM does have a fuel circuit breaker in it, but you said you tested the pump and it was working. Did you test it by just turning the key on and checking it for voltage I assume? If I had to guess it would be the ECM that has an issue not grounding the injector(or the wire between them.) But you saw damage on the PDM. Is the burned portion on the harness side of the yellow wire or inside the socket that the connector plugs into. If the burned portion is in the harness, I would address it first. A lot of times when there are a possibility of more than one electrical problem on a machine, one problem can cause all of them. What I mean is take care of the PDM wiring first, and see if the rest of the systems start working correctly. Have you by chance had charging issues on this machine before this happened? Batteries needing replaced frequently?

Old 02-10-2019, 05:01 PM
Weekend Warrior

Yes. The part above is the one that has the 3 yellow wires coming out of it. Yes the connector kinda melted where it plugs into the pin. I also took the back of the component off and you could see like it got hot where the pin was on the circuit board.

Everything seems ok. Fuel pump comes on and primes the fuel rail. Has voltage at the fuel injector just doesn’t get the ground signal to open the injector.

Thank You so much for helping.

Old 02-10-2019, 05:14 PM
Pro Rider

Can you take a pic and post it of the burned spot? I want to reference it to the diagram. Honestly I dont think it's going be pertinent but would like to look anyway. One of the yellow wires goes to the tach and then to the pdm. The ecm gets its info from the crank sensor, so I dont think it will matter what I'm thinking.

Start at the burned wiring, or borrow another pdm if possible and try it.

Old 02-10-2019, 05:24 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thank You so much. I will get you a pic tomorrow.

Old 02-11-2019, 11:39 AM
Weekend Warrior

Here is the connector

Old 02-11-2019, 06:28 PM
Weekend Warrior
Old 02-11-2019, 11:34 PM
Weekend Warrior

Posted a few pics today but when I uploaded them it said a moderator had to view them first. Maybe tomorrow you’ll see them.

Quick Reply: 2006 Sportsman 500 efi wont start