Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

330 Polaris trail boss

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2019, 08:48 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 330 Polaris trail boss

So I don't know if I am in the right area or not I am new to this page. But okay so I was out riding and while I was out on trails I started losing power in my bike which is a 2004 330 Polaris trail boss. So I turned back to camp, when I got back I figured it was just old gas in the tank so I filled it with new gas and revved it to try to clear out the old gas. While reving the tone of the engine audible changed so I shut it down. Then started looking closer at the bike and realized that I had run it dry out of oil. It was steaming out of the dipstick once it was removed. So I ran to town and bought oil and added to the bike and tried to start back up. It will run and idle but has very little to no power. It is not knocking or backfiring. Also am not seeing any shaving in the oil. Please let me know any thoughts thank you.

Old 05-13-2019, 07:08 AM
Supersock
Hired Gun!
"Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!"
Received 164 Likes on 163 Posts

Welcome to the forums.

Any smoke in the exhaust? New rattles?

Old 05-15-2019, 12:00 PM
Old Fart
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You described 'steaming' ??? I assume it was oil vapors.
You must remove the spark plug and check the compression, using the recoil starter rope. Do this 3 times, and write down the numbers.
Pour a teaspoon of motor oil into the spark plug hole, and SLOWLY pull the starter rope to coat the piston rings and cylinder walls.
Repeat the compression tests, and compare numbers.
Since the engine did not 'lock up' and ruin some internal parts, you can assume the rings have collapsed from heat. Without rings, there is no compression, hence no power.
If the compression numbers do not widely vary, ( I cannot guess what they should be,,, 100 PSI ??? ) then your old engine is simply worn-out. Time for an overhaul.
If the numbers jump from 60 to 120 ( crazy double ! ) then the rings have collapsed, and you must not ride the machine.
Hint: Before you take it apart, find a Inspection-TV-camera so you can inspect the cylinder walls. The lens is out on the end of a goose-neck that fits thru the spark plug hole.
My local tool-rental shop rents the camera.
Any pro-mechanic will advise a complete tear-down, checking for other un-seen damages.