Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

THE DIESEL

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-1999, 10:43 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I went on a camping-fourwheeling trip A couple weekends ago and the guy who's land we camped on is a farmer and had just bought a Diesel. He let us use it for the weekend just to test drive and screw around with. It is not all that bad, It's very loud when it's running wide open, and it stinks. But the one thing a good friend noticed(he is a diesel mechanic shop supervisor at a truck and tractor repair shop)is that the diesel would be alot better it it wasn't governered at such a low RPM. Granted it's a Diesel and it has to be governed, but it dosen't get enough RPM's to get the clutch and belt working good, which in turn makes it out to be a real DOG!! any else had the opportunity to ride and test out one let me know what you thought??

Old 10-31-1999, 11:55 PM
Trailblazer

A diesel powered version of any vehicle will be sluggish, slow, smoky, and stinky compared to its gasoline powered counterparts. The Diesel's intended use is not for spirited trail rides. One buys a Diesel for a single reason - fuel compatibility.

I just bought a Diesel and true it is very sluggish compared to my old 300 4x4. However, I think it makes a fine trial machine. I have found the torque and pulling power of the Diesel to be amazing. I personally like the sound of Diesel engines and the smell of Diesel exhaust. The inherent Diesel rumble and thup sound is cool to me.

Old 11-01-1999, 12:23 AM
Pro Rider

Have a 95 ford 250,couldn't disagree with you more, this thing really moves out.Am waiting for my 00 to get here now, am very happy with performance.Like you say once you get used to the noise doesn,t bother you, we don't even think about it till someone says something.HEll you snort enough diesel fumes nothing will bother ya!!!! COB

[This message has been edited by corncob2 (edited 10-31-1999).]

Old 11-01-1999, 01:45 PM
Trailblazer

I agree with Cob, Todays diesels are way more powerful, if their turboed. People have a shallow view of diesels being gutless, because of the infomaus 5.7 diesel GM put in their car and trucks in the late 70's and early 80's. That thing was a joke. The Ford powerstrokes, dodge cummins, and the yet to be released GM(Isuzu) Duramax, have alot of power, and will out run their gas powered counter parts.

Polaris seem to only go half way on their diesel quad. It has to many limitations, altitude limits, 35mph governer, and no power. I could see an aftermarket company cashing in on this, by making turboes, clutches etc. But only if the "diesel" became more popular.

my $.02
Jeremy

99 sp500

Old 11-01-1999, 09:51 PM
Trailblazer

I talked to a dealer today who said the diesel had been going for about $7400, but he said he was willing to drop that to about $6400. He has three left, he said. I am wondering if maybe he is having a hard time moving the diesel. I like diesel's and wouldn't mind having one. I just wish it had some sort of turbo so maybe it would be more fit for hunting and trails.

Old 11-01-1999, 09:56 PM
Pro Rider

Our Dealer here has 2 left asking $6100.00 for them says he will only special order them from now on.

------------------
Kevin Gowdy aka Kagey 1999 Polaris Magnum 500

Old 11-02-1999, 04:43 PM
Trailblazer

Seems I opened up a discussion here. You can't deny though, that in a drag race between two identical vehicles - one with a diesel and one with a gasoline engine - the gas powered vehicle will win every time. Diesels will never have the acceleration characteristics of a gas engine. Diesels have definitely come a long way from the 6.2L my dad had in his 83 Chevy. That was a dog! Today's light truck diesels are much better. But the diesels and gassers still have very different characteristics. I just don't see a Dodge Cummins ever out accerlating the gas V-10 or Magnum V-8.

The point I was trying to make in my post was that trying to evaluate a Polaris Diesel in the context of a trail riding machine is a bit wrong. The diesel will never have the trail performance characteristics of its gas powered siblings whether you governed it differently, gave it twin turbochargers (a turbocharger wouldn't work on a single cylinder engine anyway), or whatever.

Fuel compatibility for farmers, construction, etc. is why the Polaris Diesel exists. It's why I bought it. And personnally I've found its torque and towing capability to be great.

Old 11-02-1999, 06:55 PM
Pro Rider

I have seen 2 dealers with '99 Diesals for $5899

Old 11-02-1999, 09:46 PM
Trailblazer

jaxberg,

I disagree with your idea that the diesel will never be a trail rider. Technology is doing great things and is possible of almost anything. Diesels are known as reliable powerful engines and are becoming more and more known and wanted every day, especially here in Texas. They are putting them in all kinds of things. I think and hope one day they are more sporty(for lack of a better word)then I would take a diesel over gas anyday, but then I grew up in the oil field and diesels are in everything from our pumps to our pick-ups to our eighteen wheelers and cats, and soon to be in my dad's diesel polaris. So don't think you started anything, because no matter what you wrote I thought that already and was by no means referring to anything you said.

Old 11-02-1999, 10:08 PM
Pro Rider

Just wondering if anyone else heard this ,salesman at our dealership said the deisel burns less fuel at full throttle than a sportsman 500 burns idling, if thats true thats what you call fuel economy. Wonder why they don,t put that engine in the Ranger or 6x6?????

------------------
Kevin Gowdy aka Kagey 1999 Polaris Magnum 500

Quick Reply: THE DIESEL