Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

03’Polaris Sportsman-500-6X6 Tranny switch trouble shooting

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2021, 03:50 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 03’Polaris Sportsman-500-6X6 Tranny switch trouble shooting

What I have here is service manual for a (2003-Polaris-Sportsman-500-6X6-SM-02400) which I got from the link OPT referred on another thread. My problem is that that speedo is partially working.
What it currently displays is “E and 4149”. (I believe this means “Error and current mileage) The Needle does show speed while in motion. What it won’t do is change to the different modes with the override button. It won’t go into diagnosis mode or program service interval mode or gear indicator. What I’ve investigated is I need to look at the tranny switches. Here’s the thing about that, the wiring diagram from the aforementioned manual doesn’t match the machine. The wiring diagram shows three wires going into BOTH switches BUT, I have a switch with 3 wires and the other has 4. Also the diagram doesn’t show the correct color schemes for the wires. I found another manual (1996-2003 ATV_Polaris_Sportsman_Xplorer_500_Service_Manual) and it has a partially correct diagram. The issue here is the wire colors are a match but it shows the switches reversed (Front vs Rear). I sure could use some help her guys! I know that OPT passed some time ago God bless an R.I.P. friend. Has anyone else stepped up in his place as he was a true wizard at all this stuff? Ill tell you that I believe the machine WAS ran with a dead battery which I believe that is hard on some electrical components like bulbs and the like. I don’t think I left anything out, but that’s subject to change!
Thanks guys
Mike
Something else. Knew I’d forget something. I’ve replaced the battery, solenoid and respliced the r/wht wire in the headlight pod that feeds the ignition switch as it separated (at the factory splice) over the years from use I suppose. Which is what started this whole ordeal in the first place.

Last edited by itsbeal; 03-24-2021 at 04:12 PM. Reason: New parts I'd added before 1st post
Old 03-24-2021, 04:06 PM
Weekend Warrior

Something else. Knew I’d forget something. I’ve replaced the battery, solenoid and respliced the r/wht wire in the headlight pod that feeds the ignition switch as it separated (at the factory splice) over the years from use I suppose. Which is what started this whole ordeal in the first place.

Old 03-26-2021, 12:04 PM
Weekend Warrior

What’s the matter? No one else up to this task? Bump

Old 03-28-2021, 04:10 PM
Weekend Warrior

Ok, gotter done! It was nothing more than broken or unconnected grounds. The broken ones(multiple breaks in one wire) were in the handlebar area that connects the reverse/override button to the headlight/kill switch. It seems that the broken wire was caused because the other grounds that weren’t connected were putting more demand on this wire. The ones not connected were 3 grounds that terminated by the batterybox solenoid area. Couldn’t find any place to connect to the frame, so I hooked them to the battery. The wires wouldn’t reach any place else with the restricted length of them. After hooking the 3 grounds up the speedo started working as normal plus the brake and tail lights.