Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

98 klf220 not matching wiring diagram

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2011, 03:57 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 98 klf220 not matching wiring diagram

I got this 1998 Kawasaki KLF220 Bayou in with numerous problems. While working on the wiring issues, I have run into major trouble.

The customer had bought an ignition switch from a dealer. The switch that the dealer sold him was a two-wire deal, and both the wiring diagram in the service manual and the picture in the microfiche both show a four-wire switch. So I order one from my supplier, only to have a two-wire switch sent instead of the four-wire that I was expecting. After verifying that the part numbers were right, I sent that back and found a used switch at a junk yard.

So I get that only to find out that the wiring on this four wheeler doesn't match what the wiring diagram in the service manual says it should be. Coming out of the left-hand control assembly (starter button/headlight switch/engine kill switch) should be four wires for the headlight switch and three wires for the starer button/kill switch - Y/R, B and B/Y. I only have two wires, Y/R and B, coming out of that assembly (in addition to the four headlight wires). Y/R and Br (one of the headlight wires) are tied to the kill switch. B/Y and B are tied to the starter button. The Br wire seems to be tied directly to the same Br wire that comes out of the ignition switch, which is going to put 12v on the Y/R kill wire going into the CDI box. ???

Also, there's a B/Y wire to connect the ignition switch to, but there isn't a Y/R wire loose that would connect to the other side of the ignition switch.

Not only that, but something else about this diagram is confusing me. Following the diagram, going to the starer relay are three wires - W, B and B/Y. The B/Y wire is tied to chassis ground. The W wire supplies the electrical system with 12v. That leaves the B wire which is tied to one side of the starter circuit relay contacts. Following the diagram back, the other side of the starter circuit relay contact is tied to one side of the starter button with the other side of the button tied to - CHASSIS GROUND! So, unless I am reading this diagram wrong (and I've been reading diagrams for over 20 years), when you press the starter button, you are putting ground on one side of the starter relay with the other side already tied to ground. That can't work...

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE HELP ME before I go nuts!?!?!

Old 04-22-2011, 02:27 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

bump... still in desperate need of this!