Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Which oil for the counterbalance/crankcase?

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2021, 11:49 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ATV bog out. Gas mixed with the oil in the crankcase when drained, normal?

I recently bought an 01' Polaris xplorer 400 which runs pretty good! I'm learning how to do all the more simple repairs and upkeep.
Besides a couple solid test drives before purchasing it, I've driven it about 20 miles on flat ground with a few very small hills, it ran beautifully. But the first time I took it off road I went up into the hills and was heading up a fairly steep Trail with deep ruts in it from water runoffs. After maybe 10 minutes of the quads tilting and swaying up and down side to side the engine bogged out and died on me. I looked down into the gas tank through the fill hole which deceived me into thinking that possibly I was down into the reserve part of the tank. I switched it to reserve and made it home fine. I had let it sit around 20 minutes before firing it up again on Reserve tank. At that point in time, I was very unfamiliar with quads so once I had made it home and had taken the seat off I realized there's a perfect angle of the gas tanks entirety and that showed me there was still 3/4 of a tank when it had died on me. So the gas wasn't the issue. I was riding it again a few days later and it died out on me again, this time I was only going a few miles an hour on flat ground shortly after riding over big mounts of dirt. Again it sounded like it was out of gas but without the hesitations a near empty tank gives. Just a complete bog out to stall. I'm sure this has happened to others, but can't find any posts with this specific issue.
After the second time it bogged out I've taking the quad apart. So far I've changed out the spark plug, air, gas and oil filters, and am in the middle of replacing the fluids.
A 2nd part to my question is when I drained the crankcase there was gas mixed in with the oil. Is this normal?
Any help you guys can offer will be greatly appreciated. Thank you, James

Last edited by JRM78; 05-03-2021 at 12:40 PM. Reason: Answered 1 of my questions myself