Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

How to wire toggle switch to fan to run all the time.

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2001, 08:07 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey guys, I was wondering how to wire up a toggle switch on my fan so it would run all the time, then I could turn it off for deep crossings. Any help is appriciated. Also, it doesn't decrease fan life or mess anything up does it???

Old 05-02-2001, 08:18 PM
Pro Rider

Ryan, one thing to look into is the temp gauge that HL sells. I will be purchasing one for my quad.

Old 05-03-2001, 04:26 PM
Pro Rider

S6X6,

I would not wire the fan on all the time. Excessive wear on the fan would indeed occur. The fan is also one of the largest consumers of power (besides the starter) on the system. The charging circuit might not be able to keep up if the fan runs a 100% duty cycle. Personally the added noise would bother me also.

If I understand you correctly, you do not want to do deep crossing with the fan running and damage the fan. In that case I would do this: Leave the fan wired as is with the temeprature sensor, but add a toggle switch simply to force the fan off when desired. This way the sensor controls the fan as engine heat demands.

Find the two wires leading to the temp sensor on the rad. Cut one of the wires (does not matter which) and run 2 new wires from the cut ends to your toggle switch. In one position the toggle switch is closed and the fan circuit works as it always did. In the other position the circuit is broken and the fan will not work. You can flip the switch to this position for the water crossings.

The risk in this whole scenario is that you flip the switch for the water crossing, or someone else flips it, and you forget to flip it back. You will boil over in short order.

DJ

Old 05-03-2001, 07:42 PM
Range Rover

That was another thing I was gonna look into TEX. I had the fear about the toggle switch of me turning it off and forgetting to turn it back on, just wanted the bike to stay pretty cool. Had an overheating prob and it boiled out all the coolant in the over flow bottle. Nothing was damaged, and I was told to add coolant back in and see if the fan would work right then. Well I didn't add much coolant at all and the hose was filled to the neck and it ran perfect again. I was wondering can that little bit of coolant make that big of a difference?? I might have a water pump seal leak but where is the weap hole on it so I can check it out and do I have to take the skid plate off to see??? Thanks for the help guys.

Old 05-08-2001, 02:53 AM
Weekend Warrior

I ran a toggle switch between the wires of the temperature sensor on the radiator, which bypasses the sensor and lets me turn the fan on when I want to and will still operate on it's own in case I forget to turn it on. You can tie in to the wires where they attach to the temperature sensor. No splicing or cutting is required. My fan has quit before and my engine overheated. Now that I have a toggle switch I can always make sure my fan is operating. With this arrangement you cannot turn the fan off if the sensor is open, but if you run the fan while not necessarily needed, when you get to the crossings where you want the fan to be off it should go off when you turn it off, unless you have mud packed in your radiator.
The weap hole is under the right hand side of the engine slightly angled toward the rear of the machine.

Old 05-08-2001, 06:30 PM
Range Rover

I'm with Mike on this one.

I ran a toggle switch to the dash, so that if I know the running is going to be hot, I can turn the fan on before the thermostat kicks in. I ran a wire from wach of the wires that come off the the thermostat, up to the toggle switch. When the switch is on, the wires are bridged, bypassing the thermostat. When the switch is off, the thermostat works in its usual way. This is very effective, and cheap. Just use inexpensive switches as you will have to replace them after a while, unless you can get a waterproof one.