Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Rolled the Sport...Need help with a couple parts...

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2001, 11:52 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Guys,

I was fooling around today and lost control at about 30mph. I flipped my '98 Sport over a couple of times and I went flying. Luckily, no damage was done to me, and fairly minor damage to the Sport (miraculously). I was actually only going to go for a 5 minute ride to warm up my chain before I lubed it, so I wasn't planning on grabbing my helmet. Strangly I went back into the house and got it anyway. I met up with a couple of guys I know and we went a horsed around for a while. After I got back on the dirt road I was fish tailing it and I guess I went a little overboard and it went 180 degrees on me at about 30mph. Stupidly I grabbed the brakes and that's when it flipped. I bailed and smacked my head on the road. Thank god for the helmet cause if I wasn't wearing it things wouldn't have been good. Anyway, now to my questions...

I broke two parts that I can't "fix" by hand:

1st is that I bent the Steering Arm/Rod that connects to the base of the handle bars and goes down through to the tie rods. It is bent pretty bad, so I think trying to straighten it wouldn't help since it would probably just bend again.

2nd I broke the throttle cable off of the Throttle assembly. It wasn't just the cable, it was actually where it screws in on the box itself so I'm guessing that I will have to buy the whole setup.

Does anybody have any ideas on where I should get the parts? Have you seen any good ATV salvage or any "Parting out" adds around? For these two minor Items I don't really need them to be brand new. I'd imagine that they are fairly expensive from Polaris. A friend said that the throttle assembly he had to buy was like $200!!! Anyway if you don't know what I'm talking about, Pic's of the broken assembly, as well as pics of my quad can be found at http://members.fortunecity.com/vermo...ling/Josh1.htm or click on my link at the bottom of the page. Thanks.

-Josh

Old 05-06-2001, 12:13 AM
Pro Rider

I rolled my xplorer last fall and broke the same thing on the throttle. Ive been looking everywhere and cant find a used one. I checked with polaris $95 for a new one. There is a couple of places online that sells used parts, but when I checked, they had nothing for polaris. Try going to search and type in used atv parts, thats how I found these places.

Old 05-06-2001, 01:21 AM
Pro Rider

Find out what years and machines will interchange with yours and cruise e-bay daily, You'll be amazed at what you can find.

Old 05-06-2001, 02:43 AM
Trailblazer

http://www.zagroup.com/TSAcars.htm is a salvage yard that has a wrecked scrambler and you might be able to get them to take off the parts you need and ship them to you. I think they would work on your quad if they aren't already screwed up from whatever kinda wrek it was in, Worth a try though i guess.

Old 05-06-2001, 09:48 AM
Range Rover

My son rolled the Sport we have last fall and took out the steering tube. I bought a new one from Polaris for about $50. I still have the one thats bent in the garage ( never throw anything out) I'll take a look at it to see if it's usable. If it is you can have it for shipping cost. Don't know if I'd mess around with the throttle cable assembly. Know a guy who had a Scrambler throttle stick in reverse and it messed him up pretty bad. By the way they had an recall on some throttle assemblies you may want to check VIN #'s on anything you buy used. Hope this helps.

Old 05-06-2001, 12:44 PM
Pro Rider

Thanks for the Great info Guys. I knew I'd be able to count on you to help out.

MainRider, since that part is only $50 I would probably be best to buy a new one, unless yours is only slightly bent. Mine is bent fairly bad, so I figured if I straighten it, it will just bend again some day. I thought about straightening it then running another piece of bar down inside for support, but I would rather not make it any heavier than it is :-) . Again, I appreciate all the help. I will check the salvage yard and see if they have anything lying around. I also recieved a couple of emails from some guys willing to help...thanks. Also, does anybody know if a '97 Sport throttle assemble will work on a '98? I think that they are the same right? Thanks again.

-Josh

Old 05-06-2001, 02:14 PM
Pro Rider

My local Polaris dealer sells the steering posts for $39. They are easily replaced.

Old 05-06-2001, 08:46 PM
Range Rover

Thought of getting your old one fixed? Take it to an engineering shop, and get it straightned, then get them to put a sleeve down the centre, it only needs to go past the top bushing, and it will be 10 times stronger than the stock one (trust me, I am on my 3rd)