Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

rubicon or sportsman

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2001, 03:01 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

we have the 99'sportsman 500 model of polaris and we are thinking about trading it in four a rubicon or a sportsman 500 h.o.
what do you think I should get?

Old 05-06-2001, 03:13 PM
Weekend Warrior

the ho has more ground clearance,hp,top speed,better factory tires,suspension,and larger gas tank...and in Canada they want $1500.00 more for a ruby,wasn't a hard decision for me.Good luck on whatever you choose.

Old 05-07-2001, 02:54 PM
Pro Rider

Swampman,
I really like the ride of the Sportsman over the solid axle ride of the Honda's.

I purchased my HO this past Friday, so theres my opinion.

Honda made no changes to the Rubicon for '02 except for adding yellow to the color.

Where do you ride? We ride down over at Tillamook & over at Jones Creek.

Old 05-07-2001, 06:02 PM
Trailblazer

My wife and I own both. Which one I would recommend really depends on what type of riding you do.

My wife has adopted the rubicon, but on occasion I'll switch with her just to get a comparison. When riding down a rough rocky trail with the Rubicon, it's not long before I'll ask for my Polaris back. It's that drastic.

However, I've been on off-camber shelf trails where the Polaris feels very tipsey and I'd rather be on the Honda with it's low center of gravity and side-to-side stability. IRS is not always superior in every situation. This issue has been discussed in this forum before.

If you perform a search on the forum, you'll find alot of SP500 .vs. Rubicon comparisons.

You'll probably be happy with either one.

Old 05-09-2001, 04:02 PM
Trailblazer

I just spent a week in Moab with a buddy who has a 01 Rubicon, as well as two 01 Foreman's. I never rode the Rubicon, but did pay attention to how he handled obstacles compared to my 00 SP500. I seemed to "crawl" over large boulders, steep inclines, etc much easier. I would have no or little tire spin, he would sit there and spin and bounce a bit. I think it has to do with the way Honda has their 4 wheel drive set up, it doesn't diff lock all wheels like the SP. He explained Honda's version of "True 4x4" to me, but it didn't seem to work as well as mine in the field. He actually ended up hopping a few times trying to go up a steep incline, then flipped it over and it rolled 3 times, then went off a ledge into a ravine 5 feet below! That was the end of his riding for the trip, so I didn't get my chance to swap machines like I wanted to.(He and the machine suffered only scratches, but he was a little gun-shy and sore the next day. One BIG scratch on his helmet, not on his head thankfully)

My biggest concern with his Rubicon was the woefully small gas tank. He had 1 Rubicon, and 2 Foreman's on the trip, and all three of them ran out of gas between 45-50 miles one day. I still had plenty to go. I think the Rubi has a 3.25 Gallon tank, vs. 5.something for the SP500. It sure was nice to not have to carry a couple of gallons of extra gas every day like them.

I also really enjoy being able to switch between 2 and 4 wheel drive, it allows me to slide the back end around in the snow, sand, and mud.

It all depends on your riding style. I get pretty extreme, so I prefer the 4x4 system of the SP, and having the option of 2x4 when I want to play. I also go on a one week, all-day every day riding trip each year, so the bigger gas tank is a big deal to me as well. I understand the Rubicon is supposed to be quite a machine though, I'm sure you'll be happy with whatever choice you make.

Scott

Old 05-09-2001, 07:18 PM
Trailblazer

Get the Sportsman. The RUBI does not impress me.

Old 05-09-2001, 07:25 PM
Trailblazer

I would definetely pick the sportsman. The HO has a lot of power. It accelerates like you wouldn't believe. It also has more ground clearance than the Honda.
Hope you make a good choice.

Old 05-09-2001, 09:29 PM
Range Rover

I have owned both and I prefer the Rubicon. Both are good quads. However, I feel the Rubicon is a better built machine. Its seems to be more solid. There are also fewer moving parts on the Rubicon and less to go wrong. The Rubicon has taken me in and out of the same places that Sportsmans have been. Ride both machines and decide which one is better for you. I would also suggest that you talk to ATV mechanics if you can and get their opinion on both quads. I will tell you this. Their is more up keep for the Sportsman. However, properly maintained it will it will give you good service.
Good luck in your decision.

Old 08-12-2001, 05:18 PM
Weekend Warrior

I rode both last week in Colorado on steep rocky trails and the SP500 is far superior. The Ruby rides terrible and the brakes are lousy (the machine was new). The controls on the left grip are confusing and there are too many switches and buttons. Both have good engine braking and power. I hate the steel racks on the Honda. If this is Hondas biggest and best, they are behind the times. The trans works well but I'd worry about reliability and future costs. The ESP mode seemed useless and I could not feel any difference betweel D1 and D2. The shifter was a little balky but might loosen up with use. It failed to start a couple times in gear because it has a rev limiter that kicks in when first started unless in neutral. I'd definitely stick with the Polaris.
99 SP500 850 miles and trouble free
Jeep Grand Cherokee

Old 08-12-2001, 05:55 PM
Pro Rider

the sportsman 500 is better in every way except...it might not be as reliable or as stable on off cambers as the honda.