Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Magura Brakes

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2001, 08:36 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Has anyone used Magura brakes, either as a replacemet for the single lever, or to split to left and right brakes?

I am looking at their products, and they have a couple of items that could easly be used for left and right hand braking, including some super hot looking anodized CNC milled Alloy units (190ebz)

I am sick of getting left arm pump from using my whole left hand to brake, rather than one or two fingers.

Old 05-08-2001, 08:56 PM
Range Rover

I got some info from Magura, and the CNC billet ones are on the costly side, but they have some left and right hand units (model 225) that are quite reasonable around $60.00 each. Add braded brake lines, and new pads, and I think the thing will stop on a dime.

Anyone else used the Magura brakes? Does the HPD split brake kit use their cylinders and levers?

Old 05-09-2001, 10:19 AM
Pro Rider

ScrabbledKiwi,

I believe that HPD stopped making the split brakes some time ago. Chopper City Sports had one, but now it's on Celeste's Trailblazer. I couldn't tell you if the Magura master cylinder made that much of a difference by it self, Both of mine have split brakes on them.

The only thing you'd really need to make your own "split brake kit" would be a brass T-connector for the front brakes and two plugs for the old system (rear brake). You might have to do it the hard way if you want split brakes, go to the dealer and ask for the parts for a 500 Magnum 6x6 (sans master cylinder). Then you swap it out the Magura cylinders you purchaced.

Hope this helps!

Old 05-09-2001, 09:48 PM
Weekend Warrior

is it possible to just disconnect the front form the rear and just use the foot brake 4 the rear and the left hand lever 4 the front?
I know that up till the concentric drive came out the foot brake was mechanical but now they are hydrolic and stop u pretty good

Old 05-10-2001, 03:27 AM
Pro Rider

99sport400,

All you would need is two 1/8" NPT plugs. One for where the hose meets the rear brake, and the other for the distribution block.

I hate to say this, but I'd still change the master cylinder to a left hand one. Most (non-Polaris) machines have the front brakes on the left side.

Old 05-10-2001, 08:57 PM
Range Rover

Most bikes have front brakes on the right, and clutch on the left. Auto clutch ATV's (Honda TRX300 etc) have the rear brake on the left.

I was looking at tossing the stock braking system totally, and adding a Magura Right hand brake for the front brakes, and then a Magura left for the rear. I have never been happy with the power of the stock Polaris cylinders as I think they are just too small for the job it is trying to do.

Old 05-11-2001, 08:05 AM
Pro Rider

Whoops, I got my hands mixed up! Sorry. I meant to say the right hand master cylinder for the front brakes.

Old 07-31-2001, 12:24 PM
Pro Rider

ScrambledKiwi,

Where did you get the information on the Magura master cylinders? I have looked and not been able to find them on the web or anything. Also, how did you resolve splitting your brakes and how are you pleased with your setup? Thanks.

Waylan

Old 07-31-2001, 01:17 PM
Range Rover

i am running magura MC on my 400 xplorer and my wifes trail blazer and you can stop them with 2 fingers. my wife would not ride down hills with the stock polaris MC because she could not stop the quad on steeper hills. there 2 types, 10 mm banjo fitting and 1/8 NTP thread, so make sure what you have before ordering.

Old 07-31-2001, 02:42 PM
Pro Rider

Parts Unlimited has a variety of Magura cylinders. I use the HPD kit on my 400. I also removed all OE lines/fittings and replaced them with Russell with the help of a local Harley shop. I removed the rear foot pedal, split the rear line near the battery into two, then used both openings at the caliper, operated by a MC up front. Magura ins't the best, but they work well and look good with the HPD billet levers.

The project can be time consuming, but I found it to be $$ ('bout $350 overall) well spent.

Quick Reply: Magura Brakes