Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Diesel???

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-1999, 11:27 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm still saying that from a marketing standpoint, the diesel is a flop. I covered all of the obvious good points of it already, and I haven't seen anything else yet that would change my mind. Are they in enough demand to even make them? Doubtful. Is the Foreman 400 in enough demand to be produced anymore? I don't think so either, but it is in a whole lot more demand than the overpriced diesel. Tell me that you will save money on the fuel and I will laugh all day. It would take a long time to save $500 in fuel on a quad.

As for the Terrapro, I don't remember if it was 4x4 or not. It was styled very similar to the first big bear, only it was blue. This was at a time when most bikes were 200 - 350 cc's. Nothing larger other than maybe the Quadzilla which doesn't count cause its not a utility. I don't know how much it was, but a new big bear ran between $2,800 -$3,200 back then. The most popular bikes were the honda 250 fourtraxs (utility, not R's) and the new deal was the Kawasaki 300 with its rear differential lock, the Foreman 4x4, and the Big Bear. It was a cool time for Atving, because the 250r's dominated the racing scene and Tecates, Banshees, Warriors, and Quadracers were all in production. That was the arguing point then. Who's is faster. Ohh the nostalgia!

------------------
Andy Bassham *(1999 Arctic Cat 500 4x4, 1989 Honda 300)*

Old 11-18-1999, 11:31 PM
Trailblazer

Why is it some people are so bent on putting down the Polaris Diesels? It probably is one of Polaris worst sellers. They could never have expected it to be a top seller. It is a niche machine. They weren't expecting trail riders to be lining up outside dealer doors to trade up to a Diesel. Exploring niche markets is something Polaris is very good at. Look at the staggering number of machines they produce. Polaris is very good at taking their basic chassis/plastic combos and making a myraid of machines by using different engines and some tweaking here and there. They have something for everyone. If someone likes the Sportsman but doesn't want the 500 motor, Polaris will sell you a 335. Don't want an independent rear setup they'll sell you a Magnum (500 or 325). Still want 2 stroke? They'll sell you one of those too. Don't need 4 wheel drive? They have several to chose from. Sportier quads? Got 'em. Even have a 5 speed quad now (with a 425 no less)

The Diesel doesn't need to be a big seller for Polaris to continue to make it. They know how to cater to small/niche markets. Don't forget about the European market as well. Polaris had that market in mind with the Diesel too.

I own a 2000 Diesel. I love the ride, the torque, the fuel economy, and the fact it burns the same fuel as my tractor. I personnaly find the sound of the Diesel's motor cool. Whether 8 cylinders, 6 cylinders, 4 cylinders, 2 cylinders, or 1. They all sound better when burning diesel!

Old 11-18-1999, 11:48 PM
Trailblazer

jaxberg,
amen, diesel always sounds better. I'd own a diesel if it would work for me at this altitude. If and when Polaris makes it run at an altitude higher than 4500ft. Then I will consider it.

jeremy
99sp500

Old 11-19-1999, 01:20 AM
Pro Rider

I don't know about total sales, but I have a friend who owns a an excavation company and farms on the side. He is overjoyed to have a diesel to use in his main line of work and his sideline. His vehicles run deisel and all of his equipment does, too. They may not sell so many (as a percentage)for recreation, but they may do very well with construction oriented business sales.

Old 11-19-1999, 05:01 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Andy, why does the existence of the Polaris diesel offend you?

Since you initiated this topic critical of this machine, I assume the fact a Polaris diesel exists somehow inconveniences you or causes you problems.

What solution(s) do you propose?

Tree Farmer

Old 11-19-1999, 08:26 AM
Pro Rider

There is a bridge building Company building a series of bridges across a very large swamp about 30 miles from here that has a fleet of Polaris equipment including a number of Diesels. They also have 6x6's and 1 Ranger ,I have often wondered why the diesel engine is not offered in a vehicle such as the Ranger or 6x6.
Oh, Tree Farmer if you haven't already noticed everything Polaris offends Andy Bash-em
------------------
Kevin Gowdy aka Kagey 1999 Polaris Magnum 500

[This message has been edited by Kagey (edited 11-19-1999).]

Old 11-19-1999, 09:38 AM
Pro Rider

Complaining about Polaris making a diesel makes about as much sense as putting down the Chevy Impala because it’s too wide for trails. Use the appropriate tool for the job at hand and you’ll likely be pleased with the results. For a few, the diesel Sportsman it the right tool.

I’m not entirely sure about this, but I believe diesel Sportsmans began in Europe, where some company was retrofitting their own diesel engines in them. Based on whatever popularity / demand Polaris determined there was from market research they decided there was enough of a market to build it. If you don’t like it or need it then don’t buy it.

------------------
FloodRunner, on the Wisconsin River

Old 11-19-1999, 10:29 AM
Trailblazer

I too have wondered why Polaris doesn't put a diesel in the Ranger or Sportsman 6X6. They seem like natural applications. And if they put a diesel in the Ranger why not go all out and put in a little 3 cylinder.

John Deere makes diesel Gators and I noticed that this year Kawasaki is producing a diesel 4x4 Mule. So there isn't a market for diesel powered all terrain vehicles? Hmmm.

If Polaris were to put the diesel motor in the 6X6 expect me to be one of the first buyers.

Old 11-19-1999, 07:13 PM
Pro Rider

You're darn tootin' Jaxberg.
BushHog

Old 11-19-1999, 08:26 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

BushHog,Im quit sure the gasoline powered 500cc Sportsman will do any of the 12 hrs of work that the Diesel Sportsman will do,and at the end of it's work day,you'll still have ample power left in the gas powered Sportsman to do trail riding.Im seriously with Andy on this one fellows.Im betting the Diesel will soon be discontinued.Live to ride.----BILL

Quick Reply: Diesel???