Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Diesel???

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-1999, 01:43 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In my opinion, the Polaris diesel is the biggest flop since the Yamaha Terrapro. What purpose does it serve other than the obvious answers I can expect to get around here? Tell me what if any, are the advantages of a diesel quad? Power- A sportsman 500 has plenty of power to spin the wheels on a machine that can pull only as much weight as its own weight and traction combined will allow it. Fuel Economy? Who really buys a quad for fuel economy really? Is that a swaying point for a buyer? The only possible thing that I could see would be that some farmers keep diesel fuel on tap for other machines and this would use the same stuff that happened to be plentiful around the farm. On top of that, its the highest priced non special edition quad on the market, and probably one of the worst sellers. I haven't seen a soul on this forum with one since they came out with it.

------------------
Andy Bassham *(1999 Arctic Cat 500 4x4, 1989 Honda 300)*

Old 11-17-1999, 01:56 AM
Pro Rider

Also, if you own one and are on a trailride, what happens if you need to fuel up? Is there gonna be a diesel pump available, or are you gonna have to be towed back? I know that you probably won't need to fuel up, cause they're fuel efficient, but it could happen! Also, Andy, did you hear how loud the thing is? Who could possibly stand to listen to something like that for more than 5 minutes?

Old 11-17-1999, 08:03 PM
Trailblazer

What are the obvious answers you expect to get around here? The life expectancy of a diesel is a lot higher than a gasoline. There are diesel owners who have talked about there machine on here.

Old 11-17-1999, 08:56 PM
Pro Rider

What is a Terrapro?

Old 11-17-1999, 10:47 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I been saying the same thing about them Diesel quads for quite awhile now.I personally agree with Andys posts.I think it wont be long before they're off the market.

Old 11-18-1999, 12:05 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Csholler- Then it will outlive the machine itself. You will have a strong running engine in a worn out quad body. The entire time you had it, you will have paid more for less. I think it is stupid. Just get the Sportsman 500. I've started one a few times at the dealer and it has a clackety sound like a 45. cal. Thompson machine gun. I could just imagine the sound it would make when it was wound up good. Horrible.

Boner- The Terrapro came out about the same time as the first Big Bear did. It was a blue Yamaha (350 I think) with a PTO shaft out the rear of it to pull small brush hogs and stuff. The mower that you could get for it was undersized for all practical purposes, and the money one might blow on it could have been more wisely invested in a used tractor. It was an inevitable flop and was on the market for no more than 2 years. Like the diesel, it was a neat idea that somebody had, but just wasn't practical for the market.

------------------
Andy Bassham *(1999 Arctic Cat 500 4x4, 1989 Honda 300)*

Old 11-18-1999, 12:24 AM
Pro Rider

Was it a 4x4?
How much was it?
Was it as ugly as it sounds?

Old 11-18-1999, 10:07 AM
Range Rover

The diesel will last longer and plus some people that work on farms and such don't have gasoline just sitting around. Everything they own is run by diesel so buying a gasoline powered machine would be just plain stupid.
It also produces a lot more torque than the sp500, its not made for trail rididng, just work. Everybody knows a sp can pull till the wheels spin so can almost any 4*4 atv over 300cc. Its just the fact that it is not as hard on the engine and all of the components.
The diesel is not a flop there just isn't as big of a market for them. Also you don't see people in here with diesels because ususally the people who buy them are out working 12 hours a day and don't have time to talk on the internet.
The only problem I predict so far on the diesels would be...... can they start in the cold? Does is have a glow plug or anything?

Old 11-18-1999, 02:43 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

While I own no diesel myself, I salute Polaris Industries for their initiative in manufcturing one.

This vehicle fills a niche; for exampe, as mentioned, in "uni-fuel" situations, where that fuel is diesel oil; and in heavy, long-pull work situations, like dragging a chain flail all day. And, there MAY be a market segment that just thinks diesels are cool!

I'm content to leave the transaction between the diesel ATV customer and his dealer; if someone prefers, needs, or even requires a diesel for his purpose, I'm glad he has that choice.

Does the availablility of a diesel quad somehow threaten or disadvantage those who prefer gasoline engines? Diversity of choice, in my opinion, helps, rather than harms, the ATV industry. Vive le difference!

Tree Farmer

[This message has been edited by Tree Farmer (edited 11-18-1999).]

Old 11-18-1999, 10:29 PM
Pro Rider

I'm sure most of you fellows haven't moved hay eguipment,hay wagons,grain wagons, manure spreaders, fertilizers, sprayers,pulled trees, etc. for 12 hours a day. Torgue, diesel compatibility with other farm machinery, comfort,and ease of opperation are the things desired when going 12 hours+ day in and day out. I know this because I am a farmer and have experienced these things. If I could afford another quad, it would be a Polaris Diesel. So stop giving dumb comments about it when you don't realize what it is made for.
BushHog
'99 Sportsman 335

Quick Reply: Diesel???