Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Diesel???

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2010, 09:00 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think that a new designed diesel would be a lot different then the old diesel .Technology hqas come a long way since 2000 and i believe they can make it alot quieter with alot more speed and way more fuel efficient I would be willing to look at one !!!!!

Old 01-14-2010, 08:32 AM
Trailblazer

you're going to have more weight.

Diesels do not belong in lightweight ATVs just like they do not belong in lightweight PWC's.

How practical do you think a diesel would be in a Sea-Doo?

Forget about it in an ATV, the notion is ridiculous. I love diesels, don't get be wrong, but it's a totally wrong application.

Old 01-14-2010, 09:01 AM
Range Rover

I'd go for a diesel, even if it isn't turbo'd. I drive a 500 anyway, so I'm not into the speed thing, it's more for work for me. I use my ATV for towing a trailer, hauling firewood, towing my ice shanty, that type of stuff because I have a small yard and don't have trails around me.

My "lightweight" X2 is 830lbs dry + the driver & rider on top of the 400lb capacity of the dump box, so that little added weight of the diesel engine is negligible as far as I'm concerned.

My last diesel truck was converted to run on straight waste veggie oil (not bio-diesel) so I'd love to go veggie on my next ATV.

Old 02-16-2010, 11:45 AM
Range Rover
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jethrob
you're going to have more weight.

Diesels do not belong in lightweight ATVs just like they do not belong in lightweight PWC's.

How practical do you think a diesel would be in a Sea-Doo?

Forget about it in an ATV, the notion is ridiculous. I love diesels, don't get be wrong, but it's a totally wrong application.
Since when is a Polaris utility ATV light weight, seriously? If someone is looking for light weight in a utility ATV, then they're not going to buy a Polaris. I'm not picking on you, just bringing up this point.

Several have mentioned fuel availability and I agree completely. These aren't all trail machines. Some will work for their lives and if the fuel truck has 1000 gallons of diesel on it, that's more convenient than having that PLUS a 5 gallon gas can to fuel the ATV. Many guys buy diesel trucks for the same reason. I'm not saying it's legal to run off road fuel in a licensed truck, though, but it does happen more than the DOT knows (or more than they can catch).

Something else to consider, too (not sure if anyone mentioned this or not already) is the market outside the USA. We live in a global economy and for them to not address the rest of the world in its needs would be silly. The USA has gasoline readily available, but not every civilized country does. Diesel fuel is the available fuel when we get outside the borders, especially in the EU.

Old 06-06-2020, 10:42 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

I guess I was right 20yrs ago. It didn't last.

Old 06-07-2020, 03:26 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Here it is 20 years later and there isn’t a Polaris dealer in sight! My 3 closest dealers closed years ago.

Old 01-25-2021, 08:54 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by Andy Bassham
I guess I was right 20yrs ago. It didn't last.
LMAO and I'm about to pick up a 1999 mint diesel with a bad injector pump and swap in a 500ho. unless i can find the injector pump but doubt it.

cool thing about these are the girth of the axles and the independent rear. I love love love my ATP 500 HO

Old 01-25-2021, 09:14 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Originally Posted by mcgyver331
LMAO and I'm about to pick up a 1999 mint diesel with a bad injector pump and swap in a 500ho. unless i can find the injector pump but doubt it.

cool thing about these are the girth of the axles and the independent rear. I love love love my ATP 500 HO
If it’s a mint original from 1999, fix it and sell it on eBay for big bucks!