Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Diesel???

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-1999, 09:04 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bill, I've got to ask you something. How can you still like Polaris when you have a laywer after them?

Old 11-19-1999, 10:17 PM
Trailblazer

Why do you guys care if they continue making the diesel or not? It's not going to hurt you if they keep it or stop making it is it? I think it's cool. Would I buy one...no, because I don't own any diesel engines and I don't use my atv for heavy work. If I was a farmer I think it would be a great idea.

Old 11-20-1999, 12:13 AM
Pro Rider

Seems to me that I heard they were aimed more at the EUROPEAN market,if we paid as much for fuel as they do.We would welcome the 45 mpg's.

Old 11-20-1999, 12:57 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Do I have to be offended by the diesel to say something negative about it? I think not. I'm not from Europe either so I could give a (EXPLETIVE DELETED) about the European market. Wow, a lot of people who find the disel as an important part of the ATVing world, but just one that actually owns one. Like Cilliberti said, The 500 Sporstman can do the same things and more. It won't be around long. The demand is not there. The local dealer has one that is discoloring as I speak because he can't get it off his lot. Take a nationwide poll on how good of an idea it was. You might get good numbers of people that think its a neat idea, but I doubt you get many that think its a practical idea. If the diesel was in the 6x6 rather than the regular quad, it would be much more practical.

------------------
Andy Bassham *(1999 Arctic Cat 500 4x4, 1989 Honda 300)*

[This message has been edited by Tree Farmer (edited 11-20-1999).]

Old 11-20-1999, 03:42 PM
Pro Rider

I went to the local Polaris dealer today. I was going to talk to the owner but he was out hunting. So I asked what atv he was using and guest what it was. A Polaris Diesil that he converted to a RSE(Remington edition). It had the RSE plastic and bumpers, and it had 26x12" Super Swamper TSLs. I asked why he used the Diesel. He said because he had ordered 4 a year ago and he sold 3, to farmers. But then the farmers down here starrted losing money because of the drought. So he was stuck with an extra Diesel. So he decided since he can't seel it he might as well use it and sell it as a demo unit, if he can find someone to buy it.

Old 11-20-1999, 07:23 PM
Trailblazer

It`s not because YOU don`t like it that they should discontinue it... I think that the ppl in polaris know alot more than you what they are doing. If I had to do 12 hrs of hard pulling everyday, I would too choose the diesel. People that use their quad like this don`t give a **** about acceleration or having a loud machine, since they are used to tractor that are alot louder.

Old 11-20-1999, 08:05 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Andy, I understand from your post initiating this topic, in your opinion, the Polaris diesel is a bad idea and will be discontinued for what you consider limited sales.

What sales numbers do you consider minimum thresholds for economic production within Polaris Industries'long-term plans?

What is the profit margin per diesel ATV produced, versus a gasoline-powered quad? Is Polaris Industries making or losing money producing diesel ATV's?

Thanks for sharing your opinion and clarifying the fact you're not offended by the Polaris diesel; my mistake; I apologize for my unwarranted assumption.

Tree Farmer

Old 11-21-1999, 10:19 AM
Pro Rider

The Deisel quad needs a turbo. Hmmm, A baby IH Powerstroke???
The Deisel is great for the Europe market. Though I wouldn't want one I think it's neat to have something like that made.
Plus the smell of Diesel on a cold morning is better than the smell of 2 stroke racing oil. Diesel is the smell of power. I'm getting all teary eyed thinking of those early mornings farming with my grandpa
Also, Rooster speaking of how they sound. I think they sound like a 4 stroke with a rod knocking.
c-ya,

------------------
Andrew Thomas

'99 Scrambler 400 & '99 Trailblazer, both with RCR mods.

Old 11-21-1999, 02:06 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

A_TEAM, Tell me how many people you know that do 12 hours of pulling with a quad every day. If you know 1, then thats more than me. Is a quad a practical device for being the primary 12 hour a day machine for farm jobs. What happened to tractors? I have some hay to haul so lets go get the Diesel quad! Yeah, I hear that all day. Thats what trucks are for. Lets go round up cattle! Well, a gas quad can do it even better. Lets plow a field! Oops, tractor again. How about this? Lets spend 12 hours today trying to find a practical 12 hour a day use for this Diesel quad that we just dropped $7500 on! And after that, lets see if a 500 Sportsman couldn't do the same thing! (and still be a lot more fun to ride on the day off)

------------------
Andy Bassham *(1999 Arctic Cat 500 4x4, 1989 Honda 300)*

Old 11-21-1999, 04:58 PM
Pro Rider

They sound excactly like that Andrew.

Quick Reply: Diesel???