Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

97 Sport 400 idles to high

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2001, 03:26 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a repair manual coming but before it gets here I have a few questions. I haven't ran my ATV for about 3 weeks and now when I fire it up the idle has gone up about twice as fast as the last time I rode it and I can't get it to idle normally. I have tried adjusting the cable coming out of the throttle control but I get nothing. Is there an idle screw on the carb? I can get it into gear if I use the choke to slow the idle down but even in gear the thing idles so fast that without giving it any gas it still runs at about 5+ MPH. One other strange thing is when I put it in reverse it dies unless I hold down the reverse override...it never did this before. I haven't done anything to the ATV except swap out the rear brake caliper. I don't know what would make it idle so fast because I haven't done anything to it and I don't have much experience with two strokes...maybe I should just stick to working on my Chevelles? well, anyway, any help would be appreciated.

Old 05-11-2001, 05:38 PM
Pro Rider

Yes there is an idle screw on the side of the carb body facing your exhaust pipe. The adjustment on the top cable isn't really to control idle but if you have it backed out to far on the top adjustment it would idle high. It's really just a tube that slides up and down inside your carb that controls the throttle. The idle screw is really kind of a stop for that slide tube. If you haven't changed any of those adjustments recently I wouldn't make alot of changes to them because your idle shouldn't have just changed on it's own like that. Maybe your throttle cable isn't sliding freely.

Old 05-12-2001, 02:13 PM
Pro Rider

There is also an idle air jet screw on the other side of the carb. If you turn it inward, this might settle the idle down. It sounds like you're running too lean at idle. If you can put the choke on and the idle settles down, than this is the problem. I know it's a cast iron b#$^h to get to, but if you turn it in at 1/2 turn intervals you'll get it straightened out.

Old 05-13-2001, 07:38 AM
Trailblazer

If you can't get it to settle down with the two ajustments, Look for an air leak, Rubber boot could be torn,The bolts to the intake or hose clamp.
Sounds like your sucking to much air from somewhere.
The shutting off into reverse is because of the high idle.