Search this Thread

Old 12-04-1999, 12:30 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Now I am concerned about this swingarm grease fitting on my 99 500
mag. I have 600 miles on it & have greased it 4 times, & have looked for
some rear grease fittings on the swingarm & have found none. It looked
to me like it is sealed with caps on ea. end. I was going to pry them off
to investigate any maint. that I could do, but had 2nd thoughts of tearing it apart. Now i'm hearing this hidden needle grease fitting topic discussed hear & am ready to attack the rear of the machine to find it.. Lets fully explain in exact
detail where to start looking for it
& how to gain access & or change the
needle fitting to a regular type ball
type fitting. This suject has been a
real eye opener for me..

------------------

Old 12-05-1999, 01:13 PM
Trailblazer

How about using a grease needle to fill the rubber cover for your tierod ends. I never have tried it, but just thought of it. Might work, or might not. Nothing to loose though. Later Dave

Old 12-05-1999, 01:42 PM
Pro Rider

OK..
My 99 Magnum 500 does NOT have anything like that on the rear driveshaft. It only has one grease fitting and that is located on the u-joint.
As for the rear swingarm, it is not to be removed and greased, its a wear-out and replace item.
Maybe the Expedition has a slightly different design?.. Does it have the "Shaft Ride System"?

Old 12-05-1999, 08:39 PM
Pro Rider

mudmachine,
The Xped is supposed to be same chassis as Mag series quads. However, the Xped is a manual shift, wet sump design where the Mag is an auto tran, dry sump. That may be the difference.

------------------
Ronnie Crecelius Xpedition 425

Old 12-05-1999, 08:47 PM
Pro Rider

Pf,
This is killing me... I have rolled this Magnum across the yard and back looking for that needle grease fitting. Its just not there on mine. I looked in the rearward hole, and rolled it slowly... nothing.. I think i've put a mile or two on it pushing it back and forth. Surely I would feel it whether I saw it or not???
On the swingarm bearings, The rubber cap is just a "dust cap" you can take these off and put them back on with no problems..
But, there is nothing in there really to see, just the end of a huge square drive bolt. Looks like Polaris went non-greasable on this end of it.

Old 12-05-1999, 11:24 PM
Pro Rider

mudmach,
I probably be going to my dealer this week for some oil and I'll ask while Im there if Mag has same grease fitting.

------------------
Ronnie Crecelius Xpedition 425

Old 12-06-1999, 04:41 PM
Weekend Warrior

Yep: thats all I have in the rear, is that
one fitting on the U joint. I would be surprised to find a greasable swingarm in the
rear of the 500 mag.
There may be one, or there may be a way of
greasing the existing unit by removing the end caps & other items necessary to prevent
the whole swingarm assy. from wearing out. That would be an expensive piece to replace
in the future.. holy *****

Old 02-29-2000, 06:20 AM
Pro Rider

Well I know this is an old topic, but it has been warm enough here in Michigan to get my quad up on blocks and get a good look at the rear driveshaft. (well, not really). Thanks Pflect, there is a zerk on the driveshaft. The hole is so small on the skidplate that it's hard to see up in there, and the head of my grease gun barely fits in. I couldn't even see if grease was coming out. So I just gave it 4 or 5 squirts and called it good.
Brian

Old 02-29-2000, 01:06 PM
Pro Rider

OK,
Now I'm worried again.... I'm suppose to be getting some new tires in this next week and I am going to just start taking stuff apart until I find this grease zerk....

I do NOT want to trash the rear driveshaft on this thing...

Old 02-29-2000, 06:33 PM
Pro Rider

Mudmachine,
I too own the Xpedition. When I had it up on blocks and rotated the axle it came right into view. I would say by your prior post that you checked your Magnum pretty well . Maybe it doesn't have one. If yours has the collar on the driveshaft I would put it up on a block and look. Like Pflect said, It's the last hole on the right side of the swingarm skidplate.
Brian

Quick Reply: Grease Fittings On a Magnum 500