Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

keeping your atv safe from theft

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-1999, 10:34 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just bought a 2000 Polaris Scrambler 2X4 and I am extremely worried about it getting stolen. I live in a really nice quiet neighborhood, but a neighbor of mine had his stollen out of his back yard. I have my Scrambler chained to my trailer, my trailer is chained to a steel post, and I have another chain that chains my Scramber and trailer together to the post. I'm hoping that by the time a wanna-be-theif would cut through all those chains, he would wear out his bolt cutter. Any suggestions on further protection. It would be nice to have an alarm so I could run out my back door with my shotgun!

Old 12-07-1999, 10:56 PM
Weekend Warrior

Also, how do you go about insuring your quad?

Old 12-07-1999, 11:43 PM
Range Rover

Just go down the local hardware store and buy a big a$$ padlock and put it throught the rear sprocket hole and over the chain, thats what i do on my warrior while on trips, its pretty hard to see if u don't look for it hard.

Old 12-08-1999, 12:15 AM
Pro Rider

Where do you have it chained to the quad?

I ask, because if I was a thief and walked up a on a nice new Scrambler 2x4 chained to a trailer with the chain running through the front bumper, I would just unbolt the bumper and leave the chains alone. Make sure it's not that simple to get!

Old 12-08-1999, 12:50 AM
Trailblazer

If you can see the rear brake disc, then look in the Chaparal catalog for a brake disc locker.

They fit through one of the holes in the drilled rotor and clamp on. Whenever you try to move the machine the lock hits the caliper making your machine "impossible" to steal.

AMA 99 Sportsman

Old 12-08-1999, 12:54 AM
Pro Rider

The best bet is to have it insured that is real pice of mind for around $100.Call any agent that has motorcycle insurance,if thief want's it no amount of chain or locks will stop them.

------------------
IF YOU CAN'T PLAY WITH THE BIG DOGS STAY ON THE PORCH

Old 12-08-1999, 09:38 PM
Weekend Warrior

I really appreciate the suggestions so far. You have some really good ideas. By the way, I have the chain going through my frame (but that is a good point about not chaining it through the bumper, I've seen stupid things done like that).

[This message has been edited by polarishunter (edited 12-08-1999).]

Old 12-08-1999, 10:05 PM
Trailblazer

Don't count on the bolt cutters wearing out. I work at a fire dept. and went to a fire at a mini storage once and had to cut all the locks off the storage units. I probably cut 10 locks, some them were the round ones like on pop machines. I thought those would be a problem, but they weren't at all. It didn't hurt the cutters a bit.

I like the idea of a lock on the sprocket or brake disc. Might not be enough room to get a hefty sized pair of cutters in there to cut the lock.

davidg

Old 12-08-1999, 10:43 PM
Weekend Warrior

The bolt cutter wearing out was a joke. hehe? No, really, I know that if someone really wants my quad, they're gonna get it. All I can do is make it as difficult as possible for them.

Old 12-08-1999, 10:43 PM
Trailblazer

i use a kryptonite chain that i bought at Home Depot. These are supposed to be near impossible to cut with bolt cutters. Also I have had my garage door wired into my home alarm system.
When the ATV is on the trailer I lock the ATV to the trailer, the trailer is locked to the hitch and the reese hitch also has a lock in the pin. This may not stop anyone but i figure that they would have to make so much noise and take so much time that most thieves would leave it alone.
Also as another guys stated for about $100.00 you can have it insured also, since nothing is fail proof.

Quick Reply: keeping your atv safe from theft