Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Xpedition 325 vs. 425

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2001, 01:12 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am hopelessly trying to fit an ATV payment into my already full line-up of monthly bills. The short story, as a kid some friends had atv's and I always wanted one. parents never went for it. Now fast foward, I am 20, in college and an older friend I meet through another exspensive hobby (Radio Control Cars), got into them and ended up buying an Xpedition 425. I have been out with him on it a couple times, and once got to ride the old indestructable 250cc Honda that got him hooked on ATV's.

Since then I have been out to dealers snooping around. I love the Xpedition, mostly because I am a manual shift kinda guy. I have rode both the 425 and 325 and in the space I had to try it really couldn't tell a power difference. I know there are some small differences between the two. Another being the 325 does not come with a speedo. The one thing that kills me about the 325 is that it only comes in Chesnut Metallic, which I'm not a fan of at all.

So I am wondering is it worth the extra money to step up to the 425 or will I be happy with a brown (ugh!) 325

Old 06-01-2001, 11:12 AM
Trailblazer

If you can afford it, go with the 425. You'll be happier in the long run. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 06-01-2001, 11:38 AM
Pro Rider

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]

I am a 2000 xpedition 425 cc 5-speed owner. I am into my 3rd. year now with this machine. I have also read several articles about the 325. I have yet to be out riding with a 325, so all I know is what I have read.
Both machines weigh almost the same and so the 425 will have more power.
the 425 is not the fastest atv but it is a fast atv! Its not the best mudder, but it is a good mudder. I have 27 inch mudbugs on my machine now, with highlifters progressive lift springs/cams on the front. Now days when I go riding with sportsmen 500's and sportsmen 500 h.o.'s, I am finding that they get stuck about the same no. of times as I do, while riding the same terrain together. We don't hardly get stuck much.

The 325 was built as a lower cost manual shift expedition and the 425 is polaris's biggest manual shifter. I have been finding that when the belt driven atv's go into the deep water with me. They have to stop and dry there belts and we do not. I see that they have to stop and shift any way as when they are down shifting from high range to low range. In fact, we do not have to stop and shift except to go to reverse only. Otherwise, since we have no low or high range. only 1 thru 5 and neutral. All this can be done while moving, and of course, even going from 2 to 4 or back to 2 wheel drive can be done while moving. AS LONG AS YOUR REAR WHEELS ARE NOT SPINNING, IT IS SAFE TO MOVE THE BUTTON TO 4 WHEEL DRIVE. I normally do it, before the mud hole. All the automatics, stop and shift to low range.

i agree, that if you can swing it. the 425 is enough bigger then the 325 to make it worth while. If they were almost the same then the cheaper of the 2 makes sense, but the 425 is much more, for sure. If you like the 325 then you will love the 425.. rangerchet

Old 06-01-2001, 11:54 AM
Trailblazer

for what its worth, i now own an exp 425..i used to own a magnum 325..i know one is an auto but i will say like everyone else has..if you can swing it get the 425..i felt the magnum was underpowered as an auto but i dont think it would have been alot better being a semi auto 5 spd.. the 325 is a great quad but i found out after 10 mos of riding the magnum it wasnt enough for me,you cant put much of a bigger tire on them as you lose too much power..i have 27" bi-tri claws on my 425 and you can feel a little loss in power but you wouldnt get away with it on a 325..just my 2 cents..either way you will have a good quad but on the 325 you may wish in a year or so that you want more power,like me and it ended costing me more than i waned to spend

Old 06-01-2001, 11:58 AM
Pro Rider

I had a 325 expedition and it was a nice machine. Very durable and pretty fun in the corners. It wasn't a torque monster but is was quick and very ridable. Both are good choices.

Old 06-01-2001, 08:14 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thats what I was thinking of too, I'll try to check out some prices of the 425. I checked and they have a financing thing to get low monthly payments for 2 years, so maybe I'll be able to get it.

Old 06-02-2001, 10:30 AM
Pro Rider

For general trail riding, or putt-putting around, either one is fine. For spirited trail riding, or antime you want more power or speed, go with the 425. You mentioned you were 20, I would bet by the time you were 21, you would wish for more speed and power than the 324 has. It is a great, reliable machine, just not up to keeping up with the big bores on the trail. If you ride with old ATC 3 wheelers and 4 wheelers up to 300 or 350ccs, the 325 should be adequate, but if you ride with a Sportsman or Grizz, they will wish you had the 425 almost as much as you will. 325 Polaris machines in general have a lot going for them, but speed is definately not one of them. As an added bonus, the 425 is liquid cooled, so should last longer, and is better suited for hard riding.

Old 06-02-2001, 10:44 AM
Trailblazer

Ok, my turn. I've got the 425 also, one thing the other guys failed to mention is the 425 is liquid cooled while the 325 isnt. Some of us boys feel the liquid cooled engine is better, I agree. I've never riden a 325 exp, so I cant comment on the speed power, but my friend has a mag 325, speed wise he is almost as fast as me, but power is a different story. Remember not to confuse speed with power, the gearing I'm sure slows the 425 down somewhat, but the gearing holds the torque as well. I'm sure if you got to the down and dirty you would be downshifting much more often with the 325. So far my 2000 model has been very rugged, never skipped a beat.

2000 425 exp
2000lb warn winch
12 warning lables

Old 06-02-2001, 11:47 AM
wyd
Range Rover

firebrat I raced r/c cars for 15 years now and switched this year to a new Polaris 4 wheeler. For what I spent a week in R/C I could have the money for a payment on a 4 wheeler. I actually save money having the 4 wheeler. I spent 25 to 75 bucks a week on racing and sometimes more so I know what you are talking about. That is why I switched and found I'm much happier. It will calm you down and relax you more than racing. You also gets lots of riding in in less time you have to spend at the track. I still like racing but for the last 5 months I only went twice. Since the 4 wheeler I don't miss racing at all.

As for the choice any Polaris is a nice machine as are many other 4 wheelers but I like the Poalris line up. Lots of features for a price that is in line with other companies. The 425 Expedition is nice if you like to shift. I personally don't like that but if you do it would be a great choice.

Old 06-02-2001, 04:56 PM
'5 minutes worth of planning equals 30 minutes of execution'

The 425 is worth the extra coin. If you ever wanted to run larger mud grips the 325 would not pull them very well compared to the 425. I think resale would also be better. Buy as much as you can afford now to save a costly upgrade (to the 425) in the future.

Quick Reply: Xpedition 325 vs. 425