Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

do polaris float?

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-1999, 05:05 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have floated mine by mistake.playing in the river climing on the rocks misjudge the depth.went about 8 feet before hitting solid bottom agane.jest kept it peged.sounds like the I.R.S dont float.

Old 12-13-1999, 08:14 PM
Pro Rider

rangerchet it dpes matter if the tail pipe it under water the engine is creating exaust keep pressure so it will keep water out but if the throttle is pegged adn u sudenly get off teh throttle completely it will cause a reverse suction suking water right into teh engine

Chris

Old 12-14-1999, 12:38 AM
Weekend Warrior

Amen, Chris, you said it - been there, done that - it is also the same way you get water in the tranny if the check valve or seals are bad, as long as it is running you've got pressure keeping the water out.

Sportman400, you've got a good machine, wish I had the $$ to get one, maybe if I wait long enough some customer will tear one up for more than the $$ they have to spend and I can pick it up cheap. Got a "regular" who breaks his down often (running chain so loose it flies of and busts up the tranny case, 2-3 month brake pads, etc.) We love to take it on my "playground", especially my pond, once I put it back together for him.

Old 12-14-1999, 01:01 AM
Trailblazer

check out this web page:

http://www.mega-trax.com/photos.html#Z

scroll down to the bottom when youget there.

A sportsman 5oo is floating, and has a small boat motor on it. He does have dual wheels though.

and if that dont work go to yahoo and search for mega-trax.com and look at there page.

Scruff

Old 12-14-1999, 01:29 AM
Pro Rider

it was so funny, ok i was riding iwith ym dad i was on my honda 300 4x4 a 1996 and it had been raining for about 2 weeks starit in minnesota dn we came into taown from cali and went riding well i got through this about 3 and a half foot raised river well i got throuh on the honsa 4by......barely

next was my dad.....he was on the 2by4 and this is a fast rushin river from left to right so he put the yamahauler in 1st gear and peggs the throttle (mind you this si the onyl way eh will get through, also this is not jsut where u get stuck and ur buddy pulls ay out, we would loose the quad and it would float down steam to the next lake) well as i was saying my dad peggs teh throttle and he looks liek he is on a bull, he knows that if he lets up on the throttle he will lost the atv and get suction in the exaust, so he has this beat up yamaha wide open through this river and barely makes it through, after this the ride was a breeze, the parts i woudld take lightly, i never slow down and was not afraid of anything,

so we had a great time too bad we didnt have a camera.

------------------
----------------

96' Honda 300 4x4 93' Timberwolf 250 2x4

Old 12-14-1999, 12:58 PM
Pro Rider

Thanks Guys, for the info. I actually understood that if I am in 2 ft. of water, just keep pressure on the throttle to keep water out. But like sportsmen400's story. He accidently ended up in 8ft. of water. You actually had a breath of air and drove the machine back up out of the water from 8ft. How lucky can you get. I'm just saying that we cannot do what argo's and max's do. They were not meant to be submerged. For sure, when I get into some deep water, I will take your advice. It seems to me, that we are ok as long as we keep on the throttle and the machine does keep going and gets out. If we get stuck however, we cannot keep on the throttle for ever. Have to stop and winch out.. rangerchet

Old 12-14-1999, 02:26 PM
Pro Rider

One question for any one that is running their atv underwater. I mean underwater.

How can your carb run underwater? No air to the carb?????????

rangerchet

Old 12-14-1999, 05:07 PM
Pro Rider

Snorkel??

Old 12-14-1999, 11:22 PM
Pro Rider

You guys are right about the 335's. Those bad boys don't know the meaning of float. I was in the creek the other day where I had never ridden before, so I was riding slow. I was doin' good till all of a sudden my 335 dives into this hole that's rack deep. I was in four-wheel drive so I gunned it; oh well, she sunk even deeper, diggin' deeper and deeper ruts. So, my buddy gets off his 220 Bayou ( which I pulled and pushed out many times)and we pushed that thing out backwards with the shifter in reverse and the throttle pegged. She came out, needless to say. So then I backed way up,gunned it, and threw thirty foot roosts of sand through there, made it too. That was fun.
BushHog
'99 Sportsman 335

Old 12-14-1999, 11:52 PM
Pro Rider

The Sportman 500's float(upside down) but the 335's don't because of the smaller tires.

Kinda like comparing a stock Wolverine to one with a bigfoot kit. The stockers sink like a rock, but the extra air in the Bigfoot kit makes it float.

Quick Reply: do polaris float?