Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

atv pulls

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-1999 | 04:13 PM
|
Pro Rider

Well people who claim polaris true 4wd drive is the best. Well!
Why then are the Grizzly's winning aginst the polaris's in ATV Pull Contests. Yes the Polaris's are winning too. These are stock classes also.
It sometimes helps to have an extra wheel but the majority of the time it is the driver.
Does anyone know of any ATV sites to go too to take a look at some of these Pulls.
We all know that the Grizzly is the biggest and baddest, bring em on!

Old 12-13-1999 | 06:24 PM
Range Rover

I could not help but respond to this post because just last weekend I saw a 99 sp500 chained back to back
with a 99 grizzly. The ground was wet and muddy and both riders weighed about the same.
The sportsman, while not totally beating up on the grizzly did manage to pull the grizzly back about 8ft. and across a stick we had placed in the middle between the two.
Maybe it was because the ground was muddy
and the polaris could make the most of being able to turn all 4 tires verses the grizzlys 3.Whatever the reason this was the outcome in a "real world test"

[This message has been edited by joemag500 (edited 12-13-1999).]

Old 12-13-1999 | 06:44 PM
Trailblazer

Was wandering, did both spun the tires ? Was the grizz spinning at all four corner ?

Old 12-13-1999 | 07:05 PM
Weekend Warrior

I had a chance to test a Grizzly last year it was during the summer and we were haying. There was full hay rack at the bottom of a gentle hill so we thought we would test the grizzly against the 96Mag. This is a lot of weight and is not ment to pulled by an atv but we had to try it. First we tried the grizzly, it started spinning at first but then started to move the rack. When it got to the hill it stoped and just spun at the bottom only three wheels moving I let off the throttle and let the rack role back. I hooked up the magnum and it spun like the grizzly at first but then started moving the rack and with four wheels turning pulled it up the hill. That was real life and that is a fact.

[This message has been edited by magnum425 (edited 12-13-1999).]

Old 12-13-1999 | 07:17 PM
Range Rover

Yes I believe that in a muddy situation the Sportsman must have an edge in pulling.This is because of its true 4wd.Try it on hard ground and I bet they dont move an inch.The Sportsman has most its power under 10-15mph after that it drops off the planet.Where the Grizzly has its most power at midrange which is over 10-15mph.So that is why I believe the Grizzly does so well on the sled pulls.It is able to take advantage of its midrange powerband.I have a 00'Grizzly and I am buying a Locker 4 it as soon as the Easy Steer Kit comes out.I believe with all 4wheels pulling it will be a very impressive machine.

Old 12-13-1999 | 08:10 PM
Pro Rider

I watched a video tape in regards to the pulling power of both quads.In all pulling contests,the Sportsman won.The Grizz is limited slip, [only 3 wheels spinning]opposed to all 4 on the Sportsman.My co worker did own a 98 Grizz,and in the serious mud could not compete with my Sportsman.Mud tires do make a differance as well [MUD-RUNNERS]. BILL

------------------

Old 12-13-1999 | 11:00 PM
Pro Rider

The first and only ATV pull that I went to the Grizzly got wasted by everything. This was a pull with an "eliminator". This is one of those sleds with the weight that moves up towards the shoe in the front, commonly seen in tractor pulls. This must have been a mini version, but didn't look like it! All of the Grizzly's wheels were scratching, but it just didn't go as far as the others, probably due to the weight disadvantage. There were a lot of Sportsman 500's that pulled, and they beat the Xplorer 400 2 strokes pretty bad. But the Suzuki Quadrunner 500 did as good and beat some of the Sportsman 500's. But the Bombardier Traxter was the king of pulling, smoking everyone.

Old 12-15-1999 | 05:45 PM
Range Rover

But also considering the sp500 wieghts 700 compared to grizzlys 600lb

Old 12-15-1999 | 09:36 PM
Range Rover

Wonder what quad would come out on top....if you put them on pavement or something...the Polaris and Grizz would both probably snap their belts.

Old 12-15-1999 | 11:22 PM
Pro Rider

I pulled with a with 450s with 27" Mud Bugs and neither one of us moved each other on hard dirt. We tried 3 times and on the 3rd we broke a 10,000-lb tow strap. In the mud we couldn't move each other either. But on soft dirt, or damp dirt I was no match with my stock tires, he pushed (it was a push off remeber broke the strap) me about 20 ft then stoped.

Atleast I burned hin the drag race. I started off in 2nd gear and I still got the jump on him. By the end of about 200 ft I was about 5 quad lengths ahead.

Quick Reply: atv pulls