Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

2001 sportsman 500 H.O. parts failure list

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2001, 05:48 PM
WJW
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Superhero
1-Polaris ships parts every day, your parts should be at your dealer in 1 to 3 days.
2-Your dealer is screwing you on the belt, I bet HE turned it in to Polaris for the warranty.
3-If you don't get your spedo replaced, and the money for the belt call Polaris (763-417-8650) With all your failure dates and the amounts you had to spend to keep your atv running they should try to help.
good luck WJW

Old 06-20-2001, 01:44 AM
Pro Rider

Polaris parts under regular order take 3-4 working days depending on your dealers order size. Besides a dealer should carry that part in stock, we do, it is the brains of the machine. Not only that it is wide open and several times we have seen them get destroyed in a roll-over. As far as the belt, I know other dealers crooked enough to try to warrenty it for themselves. There are stipulations to the belt warrenty and believe me they know by looking at the belt what caused the problem 95% of the time. Their are a couple things that riders do wrong, without even knowing it because I've done it too. Like doing 55-60 across a field and just letting of the throttle and using no brake, this done enough will literally shread a belt if done enough times within a short period of time. What we do is if there is a question we will ask the customer to pay for the belt, try to get it covered, if we do we reimburse and send a copy of the warrenty approval, if not we do not reimburse and send copy of warrenty denial. As far as warrenty on speedo they should cover it and when our mechanic calls the warrenty reps he knows whether it is covered or not when he hangs up the phone.

Old 06-20-2001, 03:10 AM
Trailblazer

Superhero try staying away from the headlight unit when washind it, if your using a pressure washer. I've had alot of the same problem just because of that reason, good luck with your situiation.

Old 06-20-2001, 05:13 PM
Trailblazer

Thanks for the input guys, the speedo is sitting at the dealer. It's been there for a week or so. They say they are waiting to hear from polaris whether they will cover it or not. As far as the belt goes, It did shred on me. I had been running full throttle for about 10-15 miles on a dirt road when it let loose. I brought in as much of it as I could to the dealer but there wasn't much left, a few pieces of twine basically. I am super cautious about not getting the speedo wet, so i don't think I had anything to do with it. Anyway, one more day passed and still no word.

Old 06-28-2001, 09:25 PM
Trailblazer

Well, after having my bike down for over 2 weeks I went to the dealer with a pretty good head of steam. They told me they still hadn't heard anything. I asked them if they could call and check, no answer again, the service manager went in the back and got the new speedo, handed it to me and told me to bring in the old one. I had it with me so we traded parts and he said don't worry about it. I then asked about the belt, he handed me one of those and out the door I went. It's about time.

Old 06-30-2001, 04:24 PM
Pro Rider

There is a solution to the problem of your belt shredding at full throttle for extended periods. It has something to do with the belt riding up to high in the primary or to low in the secondary clutch, I dont recall which. It only happens with EBS systems. Your dealer should know or be able to find out from thier tech rep real easy.

Old 07-03-2001, 01:35 PM
Trailblazer

Superhero, you have just learned a valuable lesson in obtaining what you want. You simply go down to the store for "face time" as many times as it takes. Eventually, they will give you what you want just to get rid of you.

Charlie has the right idea about the belt. Instead of replacing the belt, the dealer should troubleshoot what is causing the PROBLEM and not the PROBLEM ITSELF.

Warranty work usually takes a back seat at most dealerships, sorry uflg95. There are some honest shops, but they are few and far between.

Old 07-08-2001, 05:43 PM
Trailblazer

Well, one more to add to the list. Once again the front struts have failed, I think I'm going to look into some aftermarket ones. So far now, every major ride i've been on something has broken-failed. If this keeps up I won't be owning Polaris.

Old 07-08-2001, 06:45 PM
Weekend Warrior

My Xplorer had a strut fail at a month after the warranty was up. The reason it failed is the fact that it left the factory missing the bottom out cushion. The dealer replaced it under warranty. About a year later, the other strut was leaking. I replaced the strut and installed the heavy duty springs. The springs are only about $35 for the pair and well worth it. Last year I replaced the struts again, but with the newer gas struts. It rides great.