Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

YES,IM RIDING AGAIN

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-1999, 08:22 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bill,
Good to hear some positive words from you. We all hope it doesn't let you down again.
I've got a couple questions. First, do you plan on keeping it now, or selling and getting the 400 xplorer that you mentioned getting before? Second, what about the lawsuit?

Old 12-29-1999, 09:37 PM
Pro Rider

Bill,

Ride and enjoy! Hope it runs like
a bull.

Old 12-29-1999, 10:45 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

BushHog,the oil capacity is between 1 3/4 to 2 qts to refill when you change your oil and filter.That is on a 99 500cc Sportsman anyways.====BILL

------------------

Old 12-29-1999, 11:33 PM
Pro Rider

Well here I go again.I allready posted this but it did'nt take.Rooster,I cant honestly tell you yet about a power gain.I really dont take the quad past 1/2 throttle since im breaking in a rebuilt motor.Sneekypete,the hose that broke on your oil line,well the screen you are talking about is the same one im telling you to keep clean.XGZX,if the Sportsman will continue to run like it is now,I will keep it.If there are serious problems,it;s for sell and I'll look for another quad,maybe the Xplorer.Since Polaris covered about 1/2 of the engine rebuild,I agreed to drop the lawsuit.I will not get myself all riled up again.Hopefully,things will continue to be on the upside for myself and my Sportsman.Im riding again tomorrow,and then again Sunday.I have been thru the Sportsman with a fine tooth comb.I changed ALL fluids,greased it,checked air pressures,installed new front brakes,a horn,and im getting ready to buy a cargo box for the rear rack.I must say that I really have a good feeling this time.Hope it stays that way.=====BILL

------------------

Old 12-30-1999, 01:42 AM
Weekend Warrior

Would you fellows who use aftermarket brand oil filers on your Sportsman tell us the brand and source and price? I think I last paid $6 for a Polaris brand filter. Thanks.

Al Elston

Old 12-30-1999, 04:49 AM
Pro Rider

Al,I think Frams #is 6607.You can cross referance that number to an even less expensive filter.If my # is incorrect,let me know.I'll get the right one for you.The correct # is outside in my Pole Barn and it's early in the morning right now.Good Luck=====BILL

------------------

Old 12-30-1999, 05:18 AM
Pro Rider

Last Polaris filter we got, it was $11, and no, it was not gold plated! There is Emgo, which has the cool looking chrome one, Vesrah, Fram, and Pro Series. Emgo, which is what we use, is the cheapest out of all of them in Dennis Kirk. The Emgo chrome is $7.99 and the black is $5.99.

Old 12-30-1999, 08:49 AM
Pro Rider

You guys got me thinking so I looked it up. I buy parts from two different dealers. One charges $9.75 for oil filters and the other charges $10.82. It does **** me off. I used to be a parts manager for an auto parts store and remember buying oil filters for $1.50 all day long. ‘Course, that was 20 years ago :{ We put on a lot of miles. My ’99 SP500 is 8 months old and has 1902 miles on it. Since it’s out of warranty I’d consider using a less expensive filter on it. If you guys have REAL part #’s please post them. My wife’s Mag 500 is still under warranty so I’ll use the Polaris filters at least until it expires. Just paranoid I guess.

I’ll put on anybody’s brake pads. There’s another overpriced too-often replaced item. And speaking of too-often replaced items, as Bill mentioned, tie rod ends. We’re going through outers like crazy! I just bought 4 to replace both sides of both machines. No problems with the inners yet, but DAMN, at $22 each this is starting to add up. I’ve already done both sides on my SP and now it needs them again. This will be the first pair on our Mag. They’re the same for both machines so I’ve started keeping a pair for “spares”. That just ain’t right!

Glad to hear all is well so far Bill. Best of luck and Happy Riding!

------------------
FloodRunner, on the Wisconsin River

Old 12-30-1999, 12:25 PM
Pro Rider

Floodrunner,im goinG to go riding for awhile and them im going to make sure of the oil filter part # for you guys.This is like 3 times in 1150 miles for me with tie-rods.Next time im going to go to Dennis Kirk and order them. He has grease fittings on his tie rods,Polaris dont.You'd sure as hell think that Polaris would do something to improve them things.Everyone I know is replacing them.====BILL

------------------

Old 12-30-1999, 01:07 PM
Pro Rider

Bill. . . I have a 94 Xplorer400 and have grease fittings on my tie rod ends. It must be a new thing for Polaris having sealed units. I read somewhere that Ranger 6x6 tie rod ends will fit and are more heavy duty. Don't know if it is true or not . . . anyone else hear that?

Quick Reply: YES,IM RIDING AGAIN