Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

YES,IM RIDING AGAIN

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-1999, 04:09 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Kagey,
If I were to try to tighten up the tie rod ends, how tight should they be? Im thinking maybe remove the cotter key and try to tighten till next hole lines up?

------------------
Ronnie Crecelius Xpedition 425

Old 12-31-1999, 04:59 PM
Pro Rider

All this talk about tie rod ends makes me remember, when I bought my 97 Scrambler (used) it had really heavy duty feeling outer tie rod ends on it that had grease zerks.. Well, as they got old and sloppy, I went to the local Polaris dealership and got new ones.. cheper feeling, flimsy, and no grease zerk.. thers really not enough metal in them to reliabily drill and install a zerk fitting..
It makes me wonder where they came from, (the old tie rod ends) Were these older factory units that Polaris no longer builds?
Were they aftermarket?
Seeing as how all the threads and bolts are S.A.E. bolts, I'm thinking that we might be able to cross-reference these parts into the high performance automobile industry.. Maybe a Ladder Bar end link? Or maybe a 4-link rear suspension piece?...
There has to be a better quality steering rod end to be used...

Old 12-31-1999, 08:01 PM
Pro Rider

This is right from HPD's catalog on the lower steering post bearing they have:

"If your steering is loose, this is the product for you. HPD's lower steering post bearing is made of 6061T6 aluminum and has a 660 high impact cast bronze bearing with grease grooves, 1/4" allen mounting bolts and nylocks. This product is made to last." Part # SPB Price: $34.95

EPI (Erlandson Performance Inc.) is the one who makes the tie rod ends with the grease zerk standard. Dennis Kirk carries these EPI tie rod ends also. By the picture, they look to be high quality. You should really check out all the stuff EPI has for Polaris quads. They have whole clutches, clutch rebuild kits, drive belts (even for the EBS clutches), throttle, choke, and speedometer cables, brake rotors, brake pads, front and rear axle bearings and seals, sprockets, chains, CV joints, replacement coil springs (also heavy duty version that is stiffer),tie rods and ends, swingarm bushings, a-arm bushings, and tons of clutch mod parts. Almost everything is OE replacement parts. If Polaris has a part backordered, try EPI, maybe they can get you riding sooner!

Old 12-31-1999, 10:31 PM
Pro Rider

I was lookin' in the shop the other day after reading Bill's (or somebody elses) comments on the tie rods and I found some old car tie rods and ends. I think if mine ever go out I'm gonna go with automobile parts. They may take a little changing though. But I think they'll work.
All-terrain vehicle: '99 85 horsepower Massey Ferguson tractor with True AWD.

Old 12-31-1999, 10:38 PM
Pro Rider

Hey Bush Hog; I got a race for you. I have a 99 5310 John Deere 4 wheel drive. Ha Ha. When I tightened the nut on my loose tie rod end I just pulled it down good and tight and lined up the keyway best I could. I know thats not much help but thats all I did.

------------------
Kevin Gowdy aka Kagey 1999 Polaris Magnum 500

Old 01-01-2000, 11:02 AM
Pro Rider

All of our Polaris quads previous to the ’99 model year had tie rod ends with grease zerks. I replaced a couple of them but it was nothing like the frequency we’re seeing on the ’99 SP and the ’99 Mag. Aside from not having zerks the ’99 models also have a larger diameter tie rod so the ID of the end is bigger.

I just looked in the Dennis Kirk catalog and they don’t list ends for the ’99 models, which as I said, are different. I did find it interesting that the ONLY aftermarket ends they sell are for Polaris. That tells you something right there.

Thanks for the filter #s Bill.

------------------
FloodRunner, on the Wisconsin River

Old 01-02-2000, 09:48 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Pfelect,by you removing the cotter key and tightening the nut a little will do nothing for a loose tie-rod unless the nut is actually loose.The socket part of the tie-rod is usually the defective part that causes the looseness.====BILL

------------------

Old 01-04-2000, 06:58 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well so far things are looking good.I have about three more hrs of riding left and im going to change the oil and filter.Engine feels strong,good acceleration,good throttle response,no unusual noises either.[yet]I've not opened it up yet past 3/4 throttle.Im keeping my fingers crossed.Over the wk end I went to my local riding area.What a muddy mess.We had alot of rain and it was pretty bad out there.I feel thru the ice towards the end of a long frozen mud/water hole.No problem.I put the AWD on and I climbed right out of about a 2ft water hole with ice.That is one time im happy I had a 4x4.=====BILL

------------------