Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

YES,IM RIDING AGAIN

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-1999, 10:55 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

To all my loyal followers, [must be at least 3 of yah's]I picked the Sportsman up this morning.They rebuilt the engine and installed new inner and outter tie-rod ends to.Upon getting it home ,I was somewhat disappointed.I looked at the oil level and it was half way up the yellow dipstick.Which means they had at least 2 quarts too much oil in it.I brought it down to the level of were it needed to be.I said to myself,maybe they rebuilt it and did'nt change the oil,because there was no charge for oil or filter on the work order.I called the dealer to find out if the oil was changed.The mechanic that repaired it was home sick.I know that it was changed because it had a Polaris oil filter on it,and I allways use aftermarket filters.Not taking ANY chances,I changed it myself and filled it to the correct level.Seems to be running just fine.I only put on 3 miles today.Tommorrow will be the real test.I will ride it at my local riding area for about 20 miles or so.I installed a horn today and put the freaking horn button on the right front fender.Dont do that on that side.When you go to use the horn,you wind up using your left hand so you dont take your right one off the throttle.What a Dago I am.Anyways,Im happy I got my Sportsman back,and am looking forward to tomorrows ride.Im also going to go to the dealership and REEM out the mechanic for the excessive oil.I thought MAYBE I might be having soom internal antifreeze getting into the oil.But after I changed the oil,I rode it for about a mile and the oil level remained the same.No lose of coolant either.Thus far,Im pretty happy.COB==WHERE ARE YOU?====BILL

Old 12-28-1999, 11:19 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Bill, my manual says to drain the crank case when you change the oil. Did you? I didn't the other day and was wondering if I should.

Old 12-28-1999, 11:38 PM
Pro Rider

I did,nt this time.There is only about one cup of oil that comes from that anyway.I'll make sure to get it next time though.I did clean the screen on the lower oil deleivery hose though. BILL

------------------

Old 12-28-1999, 11:43 PM
Pro Rider

The threads on my oil tank drain plug look real good.But the damn oil tank threads must be flopped up because the drain plug just keeps turning.Anyone use a self threading drain bolt on the Sportsman before?It;s not so bad that I have to worry about it now,but on my next oil change I will. BILL

------------------

Old 12-28-1999, 11:53 PM
Pro Rider

Hey Bill, that's good to hear that you got your machine back. I look forward to hearing stories about how your day went at riding. I was gonna ask if you started it up at all to get it home, cause it has to pump oil through the filter and stuff. But you said it was 2 quarts too high and that is way too much then what the filter and crankcase uses. The crankcase bolt is really hard to loosen. Tightening isn't bad, but loosening it gets tight from all the heating and cooling the engine does. Plus I don't think it's worth screwing with for the very small amount of oil that comes out. Did Polaris ever get their radiators fixed. I mean did they get a different company that knows how to make them decent? Corncob is gone on a trip somewhere, I think with his snowmobiles.

[This message has been edited by rooster (edited 12-28-1999).]

Old 12-29-1999, 12:08 AM
Range Rover

Bill, I sincerely hope that you get to enjoy your ride. I've been wondering when you would get it back. Glad that you have! Did anybody give you an idea of what may have been wrong with it? Anyway, have a great time on it and good luck to you!

------------------
Donald J. Dickinson 99 Magnum 500, 99 Sport 400L Ooh yeah!

Old 12-29-1999, 12:08 AM
Trailblazer

Congratulations Bill. I think most of us at the forums know about you and your machine. Compared to other Polaris owners, I think you've taken all the bad luck for yourself. Hopefully with your "new" quad you'll have as good a time as all these guys »

------------------
99' SP500

[This message has been edited by Aniel (edited 12-28-1999).]

Old 12-29-1999, 12:09 AM
Pro Rider

How much does your quad hold if you dont empty the crankcase? (Bill)

Old 12-29-1999, 12:13 AM
Range Rover

Hey Bill,

<H4>ENJOY</H4>

Old 12-29-1999, 12:44 AM
Pro Rider

ALLRIGHT ABOUT TIME,I knew you'd wait till I left town to get it.Really happy for ya,hope it all works out good for ya,if anyone deserves it you do.Get that rascal running good and head west this summer I'll make sure you have good time COB

------------------
THE FORMER CORNCOB2

Quick Reply: YES,IM RIDING AGAIN