Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

'HEEL CLICKERS INSTALLED'here are a few results!

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2001, 10:26 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I picked up the Xplorer today from the dealership.Steve[mechanic]had just re-installed the Heel Clicker kit with a brand new primary EBS clutch.The other EBS sheeves were worn at the bottom.

I rode the ATV around the dealership a little and the quad seemed to grab the belt better.I was able to do roosts in HIGH range,I could never do that before,even with Hot Seats clutch kit installed.

I dropped the ATV in low range to see how she would wheelie?It did come up,however,it did not come up as well as the Hot Seat clutch kit did in low range.The HS kit would flip you over backwards,the HC kit did not give me that impression at all.

In High range,the Heel Clicker kit from a stand still has NOTICABLE better acceleration than the Hot Seat kit.Acceleration was much better,especially when you reached speeds above 5mph.

I was getting ready to check/compare my speed at 2 differant distances,when AROUND THE CORNER COMES MR POLICE OFFICER.I carefully pulled into my driveway awaiting him to follow.I pulled up to the Polebarn and expected to see him as well.To my amazement,he must of continued on right by my house[I did'nt look back].I opened up the polebarn and put the Xplorer to rest,as I did'nt want to PRESS my luck any further.I'll try the speed thing again this wk end to compare times.

With the very little testing that I have done thus far,I would say that after having a Erlandson clutch kit and a Hot Seat clutch kit installed in both my Polaris 4x4s [Sportsman and Xplorer],the Heel Clickers is definately the better of the above mentioned kits.

Did it merit abolishing the Hot Seat kit?Im not convinced of that just yet,more test [time and speed] comparisons will give me a better Idea.I know im NOT happy with losing some of the wheelie action that the Hot Seat kit give me.The Hot Seat clutch kit would wheelie in low range and send you over backwards with NO effort,not so with the Heel Clickers.This concerns me.The HC kit has a lower engagement rpm,perhaps thats where im losing it at?

All the above tests were done WITHOUT blowing up my primary clutch and WITHOUT shattering my belt cover![ I just HAD to put that in here-lol]

Stay tuned for upcoming speed results,
Bill

OO Xplorer 4x4 400cc
Heel Clicker clutch kit[yes Jack,it really is installed!]
Delta V-Force reeds w/spacer kit
PSI pipe w/Scrambler silencer
RcR air box mods
KN Filter-Uni filter
Side Winder Titanium chain/sprockets
26 inch Mudrunners
Brass Brakes

Old 06-23-2001, 10:46 AM
BLH
Pro Rider

I have a question, how does a clutch-kit effect throttle engagement? And low speed controllability? I'd love to have a quicker, more powerful feeling quad. But I don't want to have to go to half throttle before I start to take off. Thanks

Old 06-23-2001, 06:47 PM
Weekend Warrior

Bruce,
a complete clutch kit comes with a stiffer primary clutch spring.The stiffer spring allows a higher rpm before it will ''GRAB'' the belt,this is where the higher rpms come into play before the belt engages.

There are MANY differant types of primary springs that you can install in your Polaris ATV to improve low end without raising your engagement speed alot.Call RcR racing at 1618-644-3211 and discuss this with Rick.

Old 06-23-2001, 07:19 PM
Weekend Warrior

Well,
no COPS today!

Me and the boy went outside and ran the times in 380ft and 560ft.Here is what we come up with,

Standard clutch at 380ft w/Hot Seat clutch kit= 8.30 seconds,approx 40mph
EBS clutch at 380 ft w/Heel Clickers kit 7.41 seconds, approx 42mph

Standard clutch at 560ft w/Hot Seat clutch kit=9.48 at approx 44mph
EBS clutch at 560ft w/Heel Clickers clutch kit=8.32 at approx 47mph

I dont hold much stock in these times.Alls we had was a cheap stop watch and my son said GO and clocked me at the end of each run.There is room for ALOT of error this way.Sorry,I have no GPS to give you guys better times.And with me running 26 inch GoodYear Mudrunners,my speeds will also be INACCURATE.

I rode the ATV at my local riding area today for around 4hrs.Except for me losing a little low end with the Heel Clickers,this kit is the one to buy in my opionion.Steve and I are not done yet,I discussed my displeasure with losing some low end,he said he will discuss this with Randy,the owner of Super Torquer and see what he recommends to assist in improving the low end.Since the Heel Clickers come in at a lower engagement speed,it is my guess that we will soon be changing the primary spring?

While riding today,
I ran into some friends[4 of them] with their 4x4 ATVs,I had'nt seen them since last winter.Three of them rode BEHIND me,BAD MISTAKE!I had mud roosts all over these guys[on purpose too] and they later ask/requested that I take up the rear of the pack?Its a real accomplishment to turn them 26 inch GoodYear Mudrunners the way my ATV does.I think this says alot for the Heel Clickers kit.

I think im headed out tommorrow too,I see MORE mud roosts flying!

Oh Yah,SO FAR,
My new Heel Clickers had NOT blown ANYTHING apart yet,like someone said it would!Damn,cant seem to remember who that clown was?
[Sorry,I just could'nt help but throw that in]
Bill

Old 06-24-2001, 12:20 AM
Trailblazer

Do you know what the difference in top speed is with the heel clickers?

Old 06-24-2001, 05:09 AM
Weekend Warrior

I believe that the bog down low that you are getting is caused by your old pipe/hot seat combination engaging above your inital step in the power curve (where the power curve starts to rise) which is common for mid-upper rpm tuned exhausts.
Those pipes steal from peter to pay paul (take power from the lower range and move it up higher) Which makes the pipe to be more efficent at higher rpm's ... the sound waves bounce back from the pipe, into the cylinder, then start to go back out the exhaust just as the next fuel charge is coming in, which pulls even more fuel in and gives you more power.
Unfortunately this can and most times will give you flat spots in the power curve where the pipes combustion sound waves actually try to push the fuel charge thats coming in, back into the carb, not allowing as much in as the motor would like.
A spring with a little stiffer engagment should allow you to get past the flat spot and get harder acceleration off the bottom.
Then lets see some times and speeds, which should be accurate for comparisons, if you have the same setup(tires, speedo, etc...) that you used in your previous testing.

TooFasT
remember,when in doubt....... GASIT!

Old 06-24-2001, 05:23 AM
Weekend Warrior

ALBINO,
Top speed?It will bury the speedo,so I cant tell you if there is a differance and I dont own a GPS.

TO FAST,
Yah I think you got something there in your explanation of my loss at the lower end,its funny,I talked this over with my mechanic,and he seems to say the same as you.

Now correct me if I am wrong,but does not the Heel Clicker primary spring have a 120lb rating?If so,this is triple that of a stock primary[40lbs] and doulble that of a Hot Seat primary spring[60lbs].Giving the above specs,should'nt my engagement speed be RAISED even higher with the Heel Clickers?It is definately lower.
Bill

Trending Topics

Old 06-24-2001, 06:02 AM
Weekend Warrior

No, because the weights are heavier than the others, so they push harder on the spring at the same rpm.
If you used the stoch weights or the hot seat weights with the 120lb spring.... the engagment would be a whooooole lot higher!

Old 06-24-2001, 10:38 AM
Weekend Warrior

TOOFAST,
Got cha.Thanks for clearing that up.But im still going to discuss this with my mechanic,just in case your wrong![lol]

Old 06-24-2001, 01:58 PM
Pro Rider

Hey bill If you want i can scan in a page that tells you all about the sprigs Compression and overall length it tells you all the preasure and more then you will ever use in a spring Also these are factory polaris springs so the dealer can get them for u. DO U WANT IT ?

Quick Reply: 'HEEL CLICKERS INSTALLED'here are a few results!