Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Are we over-concerned with the weight of ATVs?

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2001, 12:46 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

While riding on private property last weekend I noticed that perhaps a little weight on a quad could be a good thing.

When our group approached a 50 yard mud hole and the first volunteer became mired to the racks we decided to go around it. In the process, the bypass trail became worse with each successive passing and was soon impassable with two 2WD sport quards hopelessly spraying mud everywhere.

All of a sudden an HO at the back of the pack assessed the situation and proceeded to make his own bypass trail. This involved going over and through various bushes and small trees less than 2" in diameter. When the crunching was done the HO was back on the main trail none the worse for wear.

I was just wondering if perhaps a lighter quad would have been held back by the brush. Sort of like watching a military movie where tanks drive through buildings and walls that would stop a Hummer or half track.

So I guess sometimes having a heavy quad is a good thing. I wonder if the new Grizzly could be used to push start sprint cars like the Traxter can.

Old 06-28-2001, 12:56 PM
Pro Rider

Thor

I would have to agree that sometime extra weight is a good thing. I actually add weight to the back of my Magnum for plowing snow in the winter. Extra weight is good when you are trying to tow large items (over the "recommended towing capability&quot. Extra weight is not a good thing when you are stuck and you are trying to pull the thing out by hand [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-frown.gif[/img]. Its funny that you mention the traxters for pushing sprint cars. The UDTRA (Dirt Late Models) use Polaris sportsmans as their track vehicle and I have seen them push full size late models off the track using the sportsmans. That takes power and traction.

Old 06-28-2001, 01:00 PM
Pro Rider

The only time I worry about the weight is when I think about the atv rolling over on me, and trying to get it off. Which I don't make a common practice of. I read about these machines weighing in at 650 and 700lbs. It pretty much took all I had to roll my quad off of me one
day on the side of a hill, and mine is only 480lbs. and I'm not a small guy, but hey that is the only time I worry about the weight....

Old 06-28-2001, 01:53 PM
Trailblazer

Very much so, it is really not something to worry about on 4x4's. Weight has more advantages than disadvantages.

Old 06-28-2001, 04:56 PM
Weekend Warrior

Weight was the number one factor in me getting rid of my 99 500cc Sportsman.My Xplorer is 110lbs lighter [588lbs] and easier to handle.

And it is further my opionion that the Xplorer is also the better mudder and hill climber,though the Sportsman is not far behind.

For me,weight is a hinderance and not very disireable in most instances.In fact,I have not found one riding instance where the Sportsmans weight actually had an advantage over the lighter Xplorer,not even in the heavy snow while plowing.
Bill

Old 06-29-2001, 05:48 PM
Pro Rider

<< ...I have not found one riding instance where the Sportsmans weight actually had an advantage over the lighter Xplorer,not even in the heavy snow while plowing. >>

Having had (3) 400 two strokes in the family I know where you are coming from on this one. However.... the only place I have seen a 400 not follow a Sportsman 500 is on a very rutted 2 track where the first 3 or 4 Sportsmans down the trail have dug the ruts very deep and the 400's/Magnums which are following will slowly come to a halt because of the rear swing arm high centering in the middle of the rut. This is rare, but I have been involved in this very situation. Now...
if the mud is without ruts . The lighter weight of the Xplorer shows it's advantage.

A couple of years ago I was riding my 400 Sportsman (2 stroke) with a guy on a Honda 450ES with Trailbreaker tires. The odd part was that the Honda would actually go through more muck than I could because he had a wider footprint with the Trailbreakers. If I had not been there I would have never believed it.

Old 06-29-2001, 10:15 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thor,
though what you claim above has never happened to me yet[ruts],I surly can see where your coming from.

I have never had any other 4x4 ATV regardless of make/model ever go further in the mud than my Xplorer.Now,I have had a few locked/lifted Honda's go just a far,but never further.But to the other guys credit,im not on a stock Xplorer either.

00 400cc Xplorer 4x4
PSI pipe w/Scrambler silencer
Delta V-Force reeds w/spacer kit
26 Inch Mudrunners
KN Filter-Uni Filter
RcR air box mods
Heel Clickers clutch kit [Jack said it could'nt be done right]
SideWinders sprockets/chain
Brass Brakes
Custom Cargo Box [for the LONG trips]

Bill
]

Old 07-02-2001, 12:07 AM
Pro Rider

weight...for the most part is good on a 4x4. yes it has it's advantages and disagvantages.

but where weight becomes a factor is in the sport scene, where less weight = faster bike.

Old 07-03-2001, 12:57 PM
Trailblazer

MUDDY4LIFE: Polaris GREATLY improved the handling on the SP500 with the 2001 HO model, ESPECIALLY in 4wd mode. My ride handles like a dream but my brother's 98 model is a little difficult to steer in 4wd. I am neither small nor weak so my brother's ride wasn't a displeasure to ride, just a little annoying. But manhandling and ATV should never HAVE to be done, agreed?

Old 07-03-2001, 02:27 PM
Pro Rider

I am concerned about the weight. If your a snowplower then sure, you want more weight. I am concerned about getting through mud, and the lighter the better. If our sp500's and my xpedition was 100 lbs. lighter, it would make a big difference. I my self, believe the guy above with the xplorer which is lighter and that atv with 26 or 27 inch mud tires, too me, probably is a better mudder atv. My friend bought one, and after he gets good mud tires. I will see for my self. I expect it to be very good on the mud trails. I wish my atv was allot lighter. rangerchet 2000 polaris xpedition 425.

Quick Reply: Are we over-concerned with the weight of ATVs?