Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Thinking of buying a Polaris? Think again Polaris sucks!

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2001, 12:09 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

<< [i]

<< :
Also, what black box are you talking about?
>>

Lurch...
The black box he is refering to is a little unit powered by a button on the handlebars, when activated it pushes a lever coming out of the tranny allowing it to be shifted into reverse. The &quot;black boxes&quot; have been recalled by Polaris but heres the catch..they dont send you a recall notice! The only way you find out about the recall is if your dealer is honest enough to tell you about it.

Old 07-02-2001, 02:56 AM
Pro Rider

I guess I can't say alot about how well the various quads hold up. I've only owned two in my life. A 99 Kodiak that I put 1800 miles on, and abused the living hell out of, and never spent a dime on repairs in almost two years. Plus my 2001 Grizzly, which in all honesty hasn't taken the beating I gave my Kodiak(mostly because I've learned to ride a little better). However, after one whole year, and 1100 miles later, I still haven't had to spend a dime on any repairs!

Rick

PS. I've never slipped, spun, or burned the belt either. Even after going through 4' of water. Obviously I floated through that, but still, no belt slipping occured!

Old 07-02-2001, 07:01 AM
Pro Rider

This is a great discussion. It's nice to see the honesty and folks not putting people and wheelers down.

I often get to thinking about Polaris' reliability, as my brother owns a 98 sportsman 500. I would say that his reliability issues are about average, compared to others on the board.

As I've done my Polaris related soul searching, plus weighing the replies made on this board - I've come up with some thoughts:

50% of the people here swear up and down that they've had no problems with their polaris, while the other half have seen enough problems pop up to at least raise reliability concerns. Since most people are truthful (still have to weed out a post here and there), it really makes me wonder if polaris has more than their fair share of lemons. That is, maybe the REAL problem is Polaris' lack of quality control (in the ATV division).

Maybe the folks that work in the assembly line could care less about assembly. Moreover, maybe Polaris' parts manufactures have poor quality control. Thus, on a good day, maybe the wheelers coming off the assembly line have the parts that a dedicated employee made.

One other thing that crossed my mind, these machines almost seem like they've been over-engineered. Working on the sportsman, I often think that the parts are overly complex. I mean, I take a look at my honda and see the simplicity of design.

Further, parts that seem like they should be strong are the ones that are cheaply designed; likewise, parts that don't need to be too tough are designed, well, too strong (i.e., weight is compromised for nothing).

I love the way the sportsman rides, it has a bulletproof motor; Polaris is so close to perfection. It's just all the little things that shouldn't go wrong do.

ogre

Old 07-02-2001, 10:38 AM
Pro Rider

I thought the black box on polaris machines were incase of a fatal crash, like the ones on TWA flight 800.LOL.

2000 SCRAMBLER 400 2X4

SCRAMDADDY400

Old 07-02-2001, 05:32 PM
Range Rover

what are the chances of getting two lemons. My family owns two Polaris Xpedtions 425 4x4. Both have way two many problems. read my other post it tells all the break downs i have had own my 1 year old POLARIS!!!!

Old 07-02-2001, 10:40 PM
Pro Rider

That's what I'm saying, the chance of getting two lemons are quite high with Polaris. And there's also a good chance that when you buy two Polaris' that they aren't lemons. Its totally hit or miss.

That seems like the only reasonable explanation on why people are having these issues with Polaris.

Polaris ATV's aren't like other brands. For example, with Honda, there might be some little thing that goes wrong on all machines of a certain model. Like with the 250x, everyone knows that the frame around the left footpeg is weak (from what I've heard).

Sure, Polaris has a few of these examples too, like tierod ends. However, you, and others, have brought up so many things that are out of the ordinary, that it cries out lack of quality control. I really don't care about a little issue that occurs with a certain brand, model, consistently - because I know it exists. With Polaris, though, it's like playing russian roulette.

Until I stop hearing of these ongoing issues, I won't consider buying a Polaris ATV.

ogre

Old 07-02-2001, 11:34 PM
Pro Rider

Hummm...I own a polaris minimal problems mostly caused by me, all in all very satisfied.

LONG LIVE POLARIS!!![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

2000 SCRAMBLER 400 2X4

SCRAMDADDY400

Old 07-03-2001, 12:24 AM
Pro Rider

I have to agree with the lemon thing, I bought a polaris last year (from a dealer) MINT 93 350L 4x4 w/all the accessories, and had nothing but trouble, cooked it the 2nd day, got it back and did it again, broke the starter and got stranded out in no mans land, etc... luckly it was under warantee and the dealer was a friend, have to admit for the time it did run it was great fun.. On the other hand I have a couple of friends that have never had problems.. Who knows? Bad manufacturing? Bad dealer/mechanic? Or just plain old bad luck?

And yes I rode it like a banshee.. think that could have caused the problems?! &quot;better beat on it now while its under warantee&quot; [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 07-03-2001, 01:19 AM
Pro Rider

Ogre, it seems to be that those who beat the living daylights out of their Polaris ATVs never seem to have any problems with them... while those Polaris's that are babied, have more problems...

Maybe Polaris has designed a typical-male persona into the reliability of their quads. Treat it like its a sissy, and it'll hate you for it. Treat it like a guy, and it loves ya...

Old 07-03-2001, 03:01 AM
Pro Rider

Oh, I totally agree. My brother's tie rod ends went out at around 900 miles. Its not babied, but not beat either.

I've seen/heard so many people that beat the living daylights out of their Polaris say something like, &quot;I've got 5000 miles on it, and the steerings as tight as the day I got it.&quot; I just scratch my head... I mean, that ONLY points to quality control!

Side note: Funny thing happened when I went to get the updated tie rod ends. At the parts counter, I asked, &quot;do you see lots of people come in for tie rod ends?&quot; Reply: &quot;Oh, just a couple a year.&quot; Me: &quot;don't you think its unusual to need tie rod ends with only 900 miles on it, especially from a machine that is not abused?&quot; Reply: &quot;Well, the machine is four years old, those lasted a long time...&quot;

Moral of the story: if any of you folks find a MINT 1988 Honda 250r for sale, in some grandma's garage, and she says &quot;I'll sell it for what you think its worth&quot; - price it accordingly, cause it's 13 years old, who knows what might be wrong with it.

ogre

Quick Reply: Thinking of buying a Polaris? Think again Polaris sucks!