Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

mag 500 belt/clutch problem

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2001, 09:11 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 99' mag 500.recently when the motor returns to idle the machine keeps rolling.I'm thinking its belt deflection I took off the cover and the belt is really tight is this normal? When I put it in neutral both the primary and secondary are spinning. Could something have bent to cause this.It started after we spot sprayed about 150 acres,but I have the polaris spray rig you would think polaris knows what there quad can handle.quad has 1500 miles on it

Old 07-03-2001, 10:35 AM
Trailblazer

I'm by no means a master mechanic, but I have two '99 Mag500s and both of the belts are loose enough to slip at idle. The trans pulley will spin in neutral (at idle), since there isn't any resistance on it, and there is enough friction with the belt to turn it. BUT, the belt should be loose enough to slip when the machine is in gear (at idle). It sounds like your clutch is sticking/not retracting all the way. I've never SEEN a belt actually shrink, but who knows.

Old 07-03-2001, 11:29 AM
Range Rover

Do you have ebs on it? If so this is a common problem. For some reason these clutches as they break in get tighter on the belt. I haven't figured out why yet but they do. An easy fix to the problem is replace the 3211069 belt with a 3211077 belt (scrambler belt)
This is a much easier way to fix it rather than shimming it. I've done this a few times with the ebs system all with good results.
Hope this helps!

Old 07-03-2001, 11:47 AM
Weekend Warrior

If you have EBS on your Magnum,make SURE you are using a EBS belt.There is a differance between the non EBS belt and the EBS belt.The dealership installed a non EBS belt on my EBS clutches and the ATV did exactly what yours is doing now.They switched it around and it cured my problems.

I also had my Sportsman do exactly the same thing,the clutches were SHOT,

Bill

Old 07-03-2001, 12:52 PM
Pro Rider

<< ....I also had my Sportsman do exactly the same thing,the clutches were SHOT, Bill >>

So when the quad starts creeping the clutches are shot? Is this caused by grooving of the sheaves or what? I have seen the clutch covers off of more than one EBS machine at our local dealership on my visits.

At the present time mine is only clunking upon engagement and seems to have a higher engagement point than it used to have. So I guess I can expect the &quot;creeping&quot; in the future?

That is the down side, the good side is that the machine no longer bogs and now backshifts properly when in the mud.

Aside from the engine braking, I prefer the non-ebs clutching of the older Xplorers and Sportsman 2 stroke models. They seem to have been of a more durable design and backshift better.

Old 07-03-2001, 01:14 PM
Pro Rider

<< Do you have ebs on it? If so this is a common problem. For some reason these clutches as they break in get tighter on the belt. I haven't figured out why yet but they do. An easy fix to the problem is replace the 3211069 belt with a 3211077 belt (scrambler belt)
This is a much easier way to fix it rather than shimming it. I've done this a few times with the ebs system all with good results.
Hope this helps!
>>

Aha! So we may be on to something here.

I looked at the Parts Manual Diagram for the Magnum 500 A01CD50AA PAGE C-3 6/00 and it appears that the wearing of three or four parts could be causing this &quot;premature engagement&quot;; part #18-washer, #1-Clutch, one way drive, #2 washer, and #3-Spacer. It looks as if the wearing of these parts will bring the clutch sheaves closer together at their base resting point and cause the clutch drag. Has this been your experience?

Old 07-03-2001, 01:18 PM
Pro Rider

It is an alinment problem I just had the clutch replaced on mine 01 H.O 300 Miles I took the free bee. It is a alinment problem more then the grove in the clutch. Check verticaly and horizontally.

Old 07-03-2001, 02:52 PM
Range Rover

Muddy I think you have it backwards. The non ebs belt is a tiny bit bigger than the ebs one. By putting the non-ebs belt on it it will give you the clearance to slip at idle.

Old 07-03-2001, 03:00 PM
Trailblazer

&gt;&gt;It is an alinment problem I just had the clutch replaced on mine 01 H.O 300 Miles I took the free bee.

**What is misaligned? What type of wear is caused by the misalignment?

&gt;&gt;It is a alinment problem more then the grove in the clutch. Check verticaly and horizontally.[/i] >>

** You lost me here. Please explain. Are you talking about belt deflection?

** Do the washers/spacers/oneway clutches in the the front clutch wear down and cause a misalignment with the driven clutch?

Old 07-03-2001, 03:10 PM
Pro Rider

<< ...this is a common problem. For some reason these clutches as they break in get tighter on the belt. I haven't figured out why yet but they do... >>

So do you think it is the spacers/washers/ and one way drive clutch bearing surfaces wearing down causing the sheaves to locate themselves closer together causing the belt drag?

And... is it possible that the spacers in the front clutch wear at a different rate that the rear clutch? Resulting in a pulley misalignment? The misalignment will then cause belt binding and increased belt wear? What about it Dazed? What is it?

Then I read that some parts manager out east is convinced that belts break because the operator releases the throttle at 50+ miles per hour. (Sorry, I can't buy that one) But I do agree that belt life will be shortened if low range is not utilized when it should be.

Inquiring minds want to know[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: mag 500 belt/clutch problem