Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Review of SC 500 4x4 by a 400 EX owner

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2001, 11:01 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My friend with the SC500 4x4 and I went to another place today that basically has an oval. No jumps though. It was large enough for me to get into 4th gear on the 400ex. We swapped and I could see why mine is made for throwing around like this. The SC500 was decent. I was a little nervous to try to throw it around. Maybe if I was more used to it I would have kicked the back out. It did feel a little tippy only because I just got off the 400ex. I wonder if he was to put realtors like I have or another lower profile tire if that would make it handle a little tighter on turns. There was also a small hill about 15 feet and pretty darn steep. I was spinning with the 400ex, whereas the 4x4 was able to take it nicely.

Old 07-06-2001, 11:39 PM
GJ
Range Rover

Hi Jeff, A few comments here on some things ive read here. (my opinions) The stock 400ex is faster then a stock scrambler, 400 or 500 4x4's, but from what i have personaly seen the scramblers most always get the jump on them cause of the auto and it takes till 3rd of 4th gear before the EX can catch up. A pipe and jetting would likey change that though. As far as the the scrambler hitting the pipe hard I havent noticed it, its nothing like a banshee on the pipe, and its probably due to the way the tranny delivers power and its weight. There is probably more of a hit then the 500 though. I havent ridden the scram 500. I never noticed the front end getting light and becoming hard to steer on the 4x4. It would seem to me that that would be more of a problem on the 400ex as its very easy to wheelie it. what i have noticed though is that the scrambler with stock tires has ALOT of traction and will tend to push the front end a bit and the floppy stock front tires would rather roll then hold up and turn. (The bandits help alot here.) There is a lag with the auto's, and in most cases, for me, it is easily to adapt too if it bothers you. The clutch kits do help in reducing it, and they hit and accelerate noticably harder, they are worth the money i think. They do not make the bike harder to control in any way. the auto is very smooth and there is a thing called throttle control!

How are the scramblers on the trail? Well they are not race bikes that is for sure, but they are competent trail bikes, I have had no problems keeping up with the warrior, 400ex and banshee i have ridden with, on the trails I ride on. the big benifit of the scramblers is thier ability to ride ALL kinds of terrain, they really shine in mudd and snow. It doesnt take much to get the common sport bikes hung up in ruts and mud the scramblers have no problems with.

I sometimes wonder if I am doing the right thing selling the scrambler for the 400ex, When i am waiting for my fellow riders to get un stuck and turned around I know that that will be me someday in the goo. What i miss is the wheelie ability of my old 300ex. and its lighter weight and lighter steering. I miss the ability to wheelie over things rather then running them over. The scrambler handles well in most situations but I find myself wanting the more planted feeling of the "sport" bikes. It isnt that the 400 ex is more appropriate for the trail ridding I do The scrambler is probaly more appropriate for that. Its more a personal prefrance issue.

Let me know if you are interested, and I can send some pics or whatever, The quad does not have alot of time on it, (I work, Im married with kids :-) and has been well maintained. Runs like new, looks good minus some tree scratches. there is also some other extras with it, and the stock tires too. Thanks GJ

Old 07-07-2001, 12:52 AM
Range Rover

i had to make the same decison but i decide that the scrambler was better since it has reverse but you made a good decision to get the scrambler i love mine

Old 07-07-2001, 11:28 AM
Pro Rider

Thanks for all the comments here guys.
Does a two stroke machine have to have the rings done every year or two?

Old 07-07-2001, 12:02 PM
Trailblazer

My brother and a friend of mine drive this way up a STEEP hill: They stand with 1 foot on a floorboard and their other knee is in the seat. This make it very easy for them to ditch the bike if needed. Personally, I don't like it. If my SP500HO flips backwards, then the hill was WAY TOO STEEP TO BEGIN WITH. Besides, it's not very comfortable to me and it feels like I make the bike top heavy. Just another idea of what some riders do.

Everyone I ride with rides a Polaris, except for the friend I mentioned above. He rides a Honda 350. It would be interesting to ride with others to see how my machine compares...

Old 07-07-2001, 12:25 PM
Pro Rider

I have a 1999 Xplorer 400 (same engine as the SC 400) and I can say, if left stock, the engine holds up well. I have about 4200 miles on mine (and 340 hours) and have done nothing to the engine other than add a Uni filter (supposed to be really good at filtering out the fine dust you have to go thru when trailing cows). My brother has an old 400L 2wd which is pushing 6000 miles (no hour meter).
Do keep in mind, that the more you modify it to make more power, the sooner the engine will need work.

I used to dislike the 2 cycle smoke-smell as well, although the driver really doesn't smell it. I now use the Polaris Synthetic Gold oil, and that cuts the smell to almost nothing once the engine is good and warmed up (very low smoke, also).

I find that for rough trail riding my Xplorer runs right with most 'sport' quads, but once you hit an open area, they make me eat dust. I get even with them by making them say 'please with sugar on top' before I pull them through a mudhole, though.
Good luck on whatever you get.