Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Trailer Advice

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2000, 04:37 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi thunder, found myself in the same situation. Had a landscapetrailer and two ymaha80s. Bought myself a 99Sp500 and found that I hated the pintle hook so I traded it for a 6' by 12' featherlight. I love it follows nicely and only weighs 400 or so lbs can do 70 mph no problem. I fit my sp500 and my sons Y2k Trailboss325 and one of the 80cc yamahas if I turn them sideways with some room to spare. I can fit just the two Polarises if I turn just one of them. But looking back I should have gone for the enclosed trailer this would also solve the storage problem as well as protect my investments. A set of ramps for side loading would be nice the Sp500 is a bear to lift up and turn. Though this makes the rear ramp useless. Just like you I fear divorce so I will put the enclosed trailer on hold for a while. Though it would have to be a big enclosed trailer to fit all 4 quads. If you have the money and dont like your wife go for the enclosed. By the way im towing with 93 Bronco 5.0 and am satisfied with the combination. Sometimes im tempted to take the spare 428 cobrajet engine for my mustang and stuff it in the Bronco, but I again fear divorce. After spending 11k on quads and trailers this year I better cool it for a while. I hope this helps you decide.

------------------
99 Sportsman 500,00 Trailboss 325

[This message has been edited by sixty9cobra (edited 01-12-2000).]

Old 01-12-2000, 08:53 AM
Pro Rider

I have a 5X13' utility trailer. It holds 2 quads in a line. I like it better than a snowmobile trailer because it's not wider than my Grand Cherokee & I can use it for more than just quads. It has a folddown gate, 1 ft high railing & 15 in car tires on it.
Pulls great!
c-ya,

------------------
Andrew Thomas

'99 Scrambler 400 & '99 Trailblazer, both with RCR mods.

Old 01-12-2000, 09:48 AM
Weekend Warrior

I've got two '99 SP 500's I pull on a new Triton single axle 8X10 trailer. I hate it.
I definitely would not recommend getting this
one. I have to put them side by side, and with less than 5k miles on the trailer, the aluminum is already sagging in the corners from the weight of the SP's. Plus the floor is cheap plywood that is already falling apart. It's ok for one ATV, but not two. It pulls real awkward too. I have a 99 Jeep GC with the V8, pulling this trailer loaded with 2 ATV's and gear gets me 10mg. I've also had to fix the tongue twice.

Old 01-12-2000, 10:53 AM
Pro Rider

How about the Floe 101" wide tilt bed snowmobile trailer? I have one of these and use it for both atv's and snowmobiles. The center slot works well for tying things down.
Also on snowmobile trailers you may want to drill the bed and install eye hooks to secure the atv's up front.

Old 01-12-2000, 12:08 PM
Trailblazer

I have a small single axle trailer with 3'gate sides and an end gate. It measures about 5'X 7' inside. I use it around the farm to haul brush and fire wood behind the ATV. I even load my JD graden tractor inside an pull it behind the ATV to other farms to mow. If we are going for a week end ride we put one ATV in the back of the truck and another in the trailer. We then have the trailer to use where we ride. If you are going to invest in a trailer you may as well have one your ATV can pull and usit for other things.

Dan D.

Old 01-12-2000, 01:09 PM
Range Rover

I would look for an inline type snowmobile trailer. Usually they are 4ft wide and 18 to 2ft long. I think you could actually squeeze 3 on in a pinch! The length will make it easier to back up too! I would stay away from 8 ft wide anything unless you have a real wide tow vehicle. They hang out the side too much!

Old 01-12-2000, 01:37 PM
Trailblazer

Hello Again, I'm guessing I'm going with either the Floe or the Featherlite.

I decided to eliminate the Triton thaks to the advice of Bkurth. I wonderd if that would happen. I don't think I'm going to risk having to buy another trailer! My wife is already ready to kill me for the $12,000 in quads and accessories!

I'm off to the dealer this afternoon to look and buy. I'll post pics of the final outcome....and scans of my divorce papers if I go overboard!

Thanks for all the advice and help,

Jack

Old 01-12-2000, 01:52 PM
Range Rover

Women! Sheesh!

Old 01-12-2000, 02:52 PM
Trailblazer

I've ordered a 00 Magnum 500 and a 00 Scrambler, I've sent the checks, I called to confirm arrival. Even made sure the plow is there. I'm heading to pick them up this weekend and have run into a sticky wicket.

I need a trailer!

My CrewCab can't hold squat in the bed, let alone two quads. It wasn't a problem with just one quad and my Ranger. But now the damn Nissan bed is too short for any quad.

I stopped by the local dealer and was over- whelmed by the different Featherlite and Triton open snowmobile-type trailers. Anyone have any opinions on a trailer to tow these beasts around? Are the front ramps worth the cash? Should I buy the front deflector, or should I risk divorce by buying an enclosed trailer?

I now have three days to buy and trailer and wait at the RMV for a damn plate. Any help/tips would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

------------------

Old 01-12-2000, 04:47 PM
Range Rover

Go enclosed. Keeps all the road grime off your machines, keeps your machines out of site (keeping honest people honest) and gives you more storage space for gear/equipment, etc. A 10' x 101" with a clam shell cover is the most economical. If you know snowmobilers.......ask them about enclosed vs. not......it's an easy decision if you can pop for the few extra bucks....been there.

Quick Reply: Trailer Advice