Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Two part question on maintence

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2001, 11:02 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok dumb question one, but prob really good to ask to be sure...how do you know if your oil pump is working? It seems like I have ridden forever without it dropping in the tank? It smokes from exhaust, also how long would it run if it quit?

Ok part two, what is the correct procedure to tighten the chain? I seem to not be having any luck, I get it to where it is ok then re-tighten the two bolts and it is loose? Am I supposed to turn on the axle housing with a big *** wrench?

Thanks all

Old 07-06-2001, 11:13 PM
Weekend Warrior

Ok heres part one. Sell the Polaris

Part2- buy a honda

Old 07-07-2001, 12:05 AM
Pro Rider

Howdie,

#1 It'd be best if you just ignored the fellow above

#2 It does seem like the oil in the oil tank never moves.........What exact bike do you have and how long of intervals are you waiting b/f you check the oil level.

#3 First you loosen the caliper bolts on the rear brake assembly. Are you placing a pin punch through the hole at the sproket and through into the axle housing so that none of those parts move? Once you get the pin punch in place, all you do is roll the quad foward or backward until you get the specified sag that is required in the manual. Usually its 1/4"-1/2" of slack/sag. If you have the owners manual, there are specific directions in there. If you dont and these quick directions seem confusing, post back and I'll give you some in depth ones. If I dont get to it first someone else will.

Its pretty simple......

Good Luck,

EC

Old 07-07-2001, 01:23 AM
Trailblazer

The machine in question is a TrailBlazer, I chech the oil atleast every other time I ride, and most rides only consist of a couple hours at a time. So I would estimate about every four hours of riding time it is a very slightly noticible drop in level.

Although I guess last time I filled it I did to the neck of the tank. I hear they use little, but makes a person wonder? Oh also I use Polaris Gold in it, I have heard it is cleaner or uses less too if there is any truth to that?

I will have to play with the chain adjustment more I guess. The two bolts I am loosening are the two larger ones on each side of the axle housing? It looks like the axle housing has a cam shape to it which would give it its adjustment I assume? Maybee I didn't get it loose enough to turn?

Thanks QuadBuster, and Mr BadAss-hole grow up, and don't make it so obvious other than your profile that you are from Tenn.

Old 07-07-2001, 07:43 AM
Range Rover

IAJack,

You have to remember that the oil tank is two quarts or 64 ounces. The machine roughly mixes the oil and gas at 40 : 1. For every ounce of oil you use, you use 40 ounces of gas. In theory the oil in your tank should be good for around 20 gallons of gas. That's five "fill-ups" from empty.