Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Filtercharger vs filter replacement

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2000, 01:33 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If I understand things correctly, I can put on a K&N filtercharger, which will replace my airbox setup. I would also need to put an outerwear cover on the filter.

My other option is to simply drop a K&N filter in my stock airbox.

Now the question. I ride mostly trails, lots of mud and water. I like the idea of having the snorkle on the airbox up high, next to the gas tank, but I also think the airbox restricts airflow somewhat. I'm wondering if putting a K&N filter in the stock airbox is a good compromise, or if the filtercharger setup with the outerwear cover would be OK for my type of riding.

------------------
Hawk - stock (for now) 99 Scrambler 400

Old 01-13-2000, 06:48 PM
Range Rover

Hawk,

I do a lot of wet riding, I had a K&N filter and outerwear on my Sport and never had a problem. I noticed a lot better throttle response with the K&N. However, I put an RcR kit on my quad and installed his airbox modification system. You might want to check out that system. I believe he sells them for $35.

Old 01-14-2000, 12:29 AM
Pro Rider

Hawkman,
My brothers 99 400 sport has a 38mm tmx carb, airbox is removed and a RU-1760 K&N filtercharger with the Outerwears cover installed. The carb shakes so bad that fuel comes out of the overflow. He had to fab. a bracket to keep the carb from shaking so much.

Old 01-14-2000, 01:07 AM
Range Rover

SportKod, can you tell me a little more about the RcR airbox modification? What exactly is the "modification" and does it come with a new airfilter of a different design than the K&N? Which filter do you think gives the best performance?
Thanks

Old 01-14-2000, 09:33 AM
Pro Rider

Be careful, anytime you change the flow with an aftermarket filter, the jetting usually needs to be changed, possibly the needle setting also. It's just not drop it in and ride. You can do it, but you'll be redoing the top end before long.

Old 01-14-2000, 10:43 AM
Trailblazer

Thanks, fellas.

Jack - how does one tell if the jetting and/or needles need to be changed? I mean, before the piston burns?

------------------

Old 01-14-2000, 09:42 PM
Pro Rider

Look at the plug Color

Change your airbox, start it up..run it for about 10 minutes, easy. Not running the hell out of it.

Then take out your plug and look at the color, it SHOULD be a brown color, about like melted choclate. If it is white, it is getting way too much air.

------------------
Aaron

1997 TrailBlazer-With RCR Mod, Red Plastic, and ITP Aluminum Wheels w/holeshots all around.

Old 01-15-2000, 12:16 AM
Range Rover

Hawk,

The RcR airbox mod comes with a Uni air filter, and a new aluminum intake about the size of a pop can. You cut the old one out of the boot, widen the hole a bit and install the new one. This came with the Stage 1 kit though, a K&N would be fine, it will give you better throttle response.

Old 01-15-2000, 12:15 PM
Pro Rider

When checking plug color run at full throttle and then shut right down. No idling of half throttle running . . . check plug color for the main jet. Even more critical is the needle e-clip setting. Run at 1/2 throttle and shut down and check plug color for a nice light brown, tan color, not going to grey or white. If it's going to grey or white it's too lean. I've seen where some machines run great on a light greay plug, but I wouldn't do it . . . I think you are asking for trouble in the long run.

You can usually tell right away if the needle is right, mine would not even run at half throttle with the K&N and stock jetting by just changing the filter when it was new. Anything beyond 1/4 throttle and it would want to die, too much air for the amount of fuel. Some machines, depending on the temp, alt., and will run though, but it doesn now mean they are correct. You just may get lucky and not have to change a thing. It's also easy to tell if you are running too lean or too rich by running half throttle and then full throttle with the choke applied. The direction that performance takes will tell you if it's rich or lean or at least which direction to go.

<A HREF="http://www.godigital-design.com/96Polaris.html">Schultz Motorsports</A>

[This message has been edited by Jack (edited 01-15-2000).]

Old 01-17-2000, 10:37 AM
Trailblazer

Ok, I might get luck with a drop-in replacement, as my plug typically is a nice black color. I know this means it too rich, but I am not going to mess with the oil injector until my Polaris master repair manual come in.....

I might even wait until after I buy Aaen's carb tuning book.

A little knowledge is a dangerous thing

Thanks again.

------------------

Quick Reply: Filtercharger vs filter replacement