Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Scrambler gas guzzler & Hot

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2001, 01:28 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My scrambler is usually the first to run out of gas(compared to a raptor and honda 300). Does anyone else have thirsty scrambler?

Also, I have noticed my fan comes on often. Does anyone elses?

Thanks,

Rainman

Old 07-15-2001, 01:39 PM
Pro Rider

400 or 500?
The 500s, especially when new, seem to cycle the fan quite a bit more often than the 400s do. No big deal as long as it doesn't overheat.
Maybe check to be sure the radiator is clean, as in clean enough to see through (put a trouble light behind it & see how easy you can see the light through it).

As for the gas guzzler part, I don't know. I have a '96 Honda 300 myself & that machine is very easy on gas (but the newer ones aren't as good for some reason).

Old 07-15-2001, 01:41 PM
Range Rover

If your Scrambler is two-stroke; it will use more fuel.
That's why the fan is there.

Old 07-15-2001, 03:59 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the fan is there to keep it from overheating, why wouldnt you want it on? the more it comes on the better,
as for the gas, my scrambler chews it up, i ran out of gas today on a dirt road, but there was still some in the tank, thankfully they have a reserve and i got home, but when i switched it back to on, instead of reserve, it ran again, i think since it was low on gas, not enough got into the petcock, i fed em' on 93 octane, it not that bad on gas, a full tank lasts me a few days

Old 07-15-2001, 06:24 PM
Range Rover

Actually I don't want the fan on. I would like the cooling system to remove heat sufficiently to handle most conditions. My buddies raptor hardly comes on.

My 500 is a gas guzzler. I think that the gas cap gauge is required. I bring gas with me on my rack on long rides.

Rainman

Old 07-15-2001, 09:19 PM
Pro Rider

<< Actually I don't want the fan on. I would like the cooling system to remove heat sufficiently to handle most conditions.... >>

*** It is just the nature of the engine, 400's will use the fan less but both models will use the fan more the dirtier the radiator is. Sometimes radiators will clog without mud. Alternating dusty trails and water cross splashings can bake certain kinds of dust onto a radiator like concrete in fine layers. Sometimes radiator removal is required to really clean this mud out. The newer Polaris models with the improved fan shrouds seem to be more susceptible to packing than the earlier models.

<< My 500 is a gas guzzler. I think that the gas cap gauge is required. I bring gas with me on my rack on long rides. >>

*** Has it been piped, or re-jetted? This can really lower the mileage quickly if the right combination hasn't been implemented.

Old 07-15-2001, 09:30 PM
Range Rover

Only engine modification is a uni filter. My plug is light brown, and I have just replaced the plug and adjusted the valves. I am running a goodyear power streak belt and a blue/green spring(second one).

I did look in the service manual, and the fan on/off temperatures are really conservative(protective). I guess the cooling system is capable.

For numbers, it get's around 24 miles to a gallon. Our excursions are usually 100+ round trip, so I usually have to bring gas with and watch for stations.

It takes a LOT of energy to move it, and therefore, probably explains the temperature and fuel consumption.

Rainman

Old 07-15-2001, 09:45 PM
Pro Rider

Rainman

My buddy has a 500 scrambler 2x4 and it uses twice the gas that my 400 ex does. He constantly needs to be watching his gas on long runs. As for the fan running, I would rather hear the fan run than see the hot light come on and no fan [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-frown.gif[/img]

Old 07-15-2001, 09:46 PM
Pro Rider

<< For numbers, it get's around 24 miles to a gallon. Our excursions are usually 100+ round trip, so I usually have to bring gas with and watch for stations. Rainman >>

24 MPG is respectable for a Scrambler. I have seen HO models deliver 17-21, and some Magnums @ 22-26 depending on jetting and trail conditions.

You are doing well in the MPG department. I once saw a modified 500 Scrambler run out of gas at 42 miles. LOL

Old 07-16-2001, 01:13 AM
Range Rover

My Scrambler 400 would only go about 45-55 miles to a tank. My wife's 300ex has done an 80 mile ride with aabout a quarter tank left, ditto for my new Raptor. My brother in law bought my Scrambler, and has learned to carry a gallon of fuel on rides just to make sure....

Good luck,
Lorrin Lee

Quick Reply: Scrambler gas guzzler & Hot