Old 01-23-2000, 04:44 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

LOL,But is SWAC starting to catch me with all his problems? [impossible]===BILL

------------------

Old 01-23-2000, 06:31 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Bill, lets have a contest. First one to completely destroy his quad, but not TRYING to wins. I've got 4 months more warranty left to see what I can do for more Polaris reliability commentary.

Old 01-22-2017, 10:12 AM
Weekend Warrior

ok I have same issue with my 99 500 boggin I unhook the etc and push yellow button and have full throttle other wise I have nothing
any suggestiong would be great

Old 01-22-2017, 10:53 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

This an 18 year old post,but may help you..

"This only works for '99's on up w/o circuit board.
Disconnect or cut the grey/orange wire coming from the overide switch to the speedo and you eliminate the reverse rev limiter. The purple wire and grey/white coming from the overide must be connected with a diode with power traveling in the direction of the grey/white wire. This allows the reverse circuit to power the awd while in reverse and not allow the awd circuit to power the reverse light when not in reverse. The purple wire and grew/white do not need to be disconnected from the overide switch in case the diode burns out (unlikely) you will still be able to use the switch normally then. Make sure diode is 12 v @20 amp min.

This setup has worked well on my '99 SP500 since Aug '99."

OR a simpler method is to do this.

"Pre 2003 and almost all models that do NOT have the combined override/speedo function button.

Trace wires from the override button (gray/white & gray/orange) Cut the gray/orange and tape up both ends. Cut the gray/white and tape up the end which goes to the override button. Connect the other end of the gray/white to the red/white (ignition supplied 12v) You will also need to trace the purple wire which comes from the handlebars and simply cut and tape both ends."

P.S. Best to have the etc hooked up as it's the best safety device that Polaris has in case a branch grabs the cable. The engine will shut down and not run wild.

Last edited by old polaris tech; 01-22-2017 at 10:59 AM. Reason: etc switch
Old 03-14-2017, 09:46 PM
Trailblazer
Default Newbie needs to know

Originally Posted by SWAC
Boy I'll tell ya, I am having so much fun with all the problems I am encountering on my 2000 500 Sportsman, I could just cry. Seems the throttle cable that leaves the "ETC" box and goes down to the carb has an adjustment nut. Well, if I pull on the cable that heads to the carb, it accelerates, and I tried to adjust this "thumb-type" knurled cylinder, and still, the quad pops and quits, and it won't idle down, it just dies. I can't find a happy medium location to lock the cylinder. Anyone else have trouble with this set up, and what the heck is this electronic throttle control anyways? This set-up has been causing me grief from day one.
i know this is an old topic but there has to be a way to override the etc on my 1995 magnum 425 2x4. Please someone just tell us already. Lol

Old 03-15-2017, 08:29 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Originally Posted by Miketerk
i know this is an old topic but there has to be a way to override the etc on my 1995 magnum 425 2x4. Please someone just tell us already. Lol
Reverse over ride,yes easy to do if you wanted to,but the etc switch I'd leave alone..This is the only device that Polaris installed that did work right. If a branch or brush grabs the cable without it,you could be in serious trouble. With the etc intact all that happens is the contacts close and kills the engine if this happens. You don't have to worry about an atv laying on top of you.

Old 03-15-2017, 08:38 AM
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by old polaris tech
Reverse over ride,yes easy to do if you wanted to,but the etc switch I'd leave alone..This is the only device that Polaris installed that did work right. If a branch or brush grabs the cable without it,you could be in serious trouble. With the etc intact all that happens is the contacts close and kills the engine if this happens. You don't have to worry about an atv laying on top of you.
Just when I adjust it and get it idling good, i go for a 20 minute ride and have to adjust it again when I get home. I tighten the jam nut correctly so it's not moving on me. I have no idea what's going on and I'm running out of barrel to adjust

Old 03-15-2017, 08:56 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Then that usually means the cable has stretched and needs replacement. Also depending on what machine you have,especially on a 2 stroke carb,you can take some of the slack up at the cable adjuster on the carb.This may give you more adjuster clearance at the throttle housing.Plus check the cable for any binding,tightening up and loosening as it goes from the housing and wraps around inside the frame to the carb.It must be free to move.

Old 03-15-2017, 08:59 AM
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by old polaris tech
Then that usually means the cable has stretched and needs replacement. Also depending on what machine you have,especially on a 2 stroke carb,you can take some of the slack up at the cable adjuster on the carb.This may give you more adjuster clearance at the throttle housing.
I actually suspected that. Thanks OPT. I was hoping for your reply

Old 03-16-2017, 07:30 AM
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by Miketerk
I actually suspected that. Thanks OPT. I was hoping for your reply
Ok....I got the ETC fixed and the quad is idling. However,I had to replace the choke lever on the dash because I busted it off putting the plastics back on and now the quad is idling high when the choke lever is in the off position. Could my choke cable need adjusted at the carb since the lever is so new and more round at it's pivot point? I don't see any carb adjustments except for that throttle stop screw and a little screw toward the bottom of the carb that has a clear hose running out under it. I have a Mikuni carb. Any suggestions?

Quick Reply: Electronic throttle control?