Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Finish on SP500 RSE

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2000, 11:52 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Folks,

I am new to the forum. Lots of good information and discussion. From Ottawa, Ontario Canada. Lots of good riding here summer and winter (except today, -45 degrees with the wind chill!)

I have just ordered another Sportsman to add to the pack. I ordered the RSE model. I have never seen one up close and am curious about the look and durability of the camo finish. Is it a matte finish or is it shiny like the basic plastic panels? How does it clean, show scratches etc? I have the option of taking the standard green Sportsman if I don't like the RSE when it arrives. What can you tell me?

DJ

Old 01-23-2000, 12:25 AM
Range Rover

Yo deej, another Ontarian, alright! What was the big interest in camo for the quad? I bought a red one so just in case I lost it in the bush, I could FIND it! I used to live in Ottawa years ago, but never did any riding around there. I got so sick of seeing nothing but green Sportmans around here I purposely bought a red one. Now everyone loves the red one! In the Ottawa valley you have lots of riding opportunities.

Old 01-23-2000, 12:43 AM
Pro Rider

SWAC,

A few years ago I had a used Sportsman (green) all lined up to buy. Not driven by a little old lady but by a guy with one leg. Not exactly beat to death (he tends to get pitched off if he tries anything radical). Other than a few scratches where the crutches are strapped on, it was perfect. Problem was the thieves got to it before I had a chance to take it over! Having lost out on this deal, and having lost numerous toys myself to the seedier side of society, I decided the less people see it the better. I don't want anyone to find it in the bush!!

My 98 is green, my new one may be an RSE!

What part of Ontario are you in?

DJ

Old 01-23-2000, 01:22 AM
Range Rover

Near Kenora, next to the Manitoba border. I'm about 170 miles east of Winnipeg. I'll email you with my address if you want to chat. Seems my old email address is STILL on my posts, thank you atvconnection!

Old 01-23-2000, 01:35 AM
Range Rover

deej,

My friend owns a Remington Edition. It is a matte finish applied to green fiberglass. We did the fingernail scratch test on an indiscreet spot. It will come off, but only if you drive an edge into it. Sticks and brush don't do any more than leave a scuff thats easily taken care of.

Old 01-23-2000, 01:42 AM
Trailblazer

I just recently bought the RSE and Its a great quad. But the camo paint from my perspective isnt going to last long. Ive had mine a week and its begining to chip off in a few spots. I thought it was perminately bonded? Let me know if you find a way to stop it.Thanks email-- Lane_t@msn.com

Old 01-23-2000, 08:49 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

SWAC,I bought the green Sportsman 500.I hunt alot and dont like the red sticking out like a sore thumb in the woods.Actually,I wanted the camo one but was unwilling to wait 3 wks to get one.Heck,I beleive it was one wks wait for the green one.Anyways,im glad you like the red one,best of luck,===BILL

------------------

Old 01-23-2000, 02:24 PM
Pro Rider

I’ll admit I’m one of those people who the color red makes ornery. But that’s not the only reason I bought the ’99 RSE. I just fell in love with its looks, bumpers and all. When my wife and I first started riding we found the most suitable attire for the trails was our waterproof, windproof, camo duck hunting clothes. As we’ve added to our riding gear to cover all seasons we’ve stayed with camo for dual-duty as hunting clothes so the RSE was a natural progression.

The body parts of the RSE are plastic, not fiberglass. And the matte finish will scratch off to show the light green plastic underneath. It doesn’t come off easily, but come off it does. I’ve had two body panels replaced under warranty because the finish “flaked” off. Now to be honest, I can’t say for sure if it flaked off on its own or it got hit by something and started coming off, but in both cases it looked close enough to a factory defect for me to ask for a new one under warranty. I replaced the panels myself, which in the case of the engine side cover was a snap, but replacing the whole rear fender assembly was about 3 hours work and required grinding off rivets and re-riveting.

If you’re into brush-bustin’, like we are, the most vulnerable and often scratched parts of the plastic on our machines are the fronts of the rear fenders. Take a look at any “woods” quad and you’ll see what I mean. If you ride in the thick stuff and leave this part of an RSE unprotected it won’t be long and you’ll be seeing the green color of the base plastic mixed in with your camo pattern from scratches, some of them big. It’s not all that ugly but I do think it will lower the resale value of the quad. If the missing “paint” doesn’t bother you then go for it. But if it does, I found a solution.

Moose makes a camo tape in the same pattern as the RSE. This is a special 6” wide camo fabric with a very good adhesive back and is designed specifically for ATV use, although it would suit other applications as well. I’ve covered both of my rear fenders with it and without VERY close inspection you can’t even tell it’s on there. This stuff stays put and is thick and resilient enough withstand just about any hit that wouldn’t break the plastic. If something would damage it it’s doubtful the surface underneath would be scratched so just reapply another piece of tape. When the time comes to trade my RSE I’ll pull the tape off and the fenders will look showroom new, and they’ll stay looking good in the meantime too. My advise is to get that tape on there now, before the scratches start showing up.

P.S. Hey SWAC, now we know why you’re having all those problems with your Sportsman. You got a RED one!! (hehehe, couldn’t resist)

------------------
FloodRunner, on the Wisconsin River

[This message has been edited by floodrunner (edited 01-23-2000).]

Old 01-23-2000, 04:42 PM
Range Rover

Thats right floodRunner, I bought one to match the color of my face everytime I get off it murmuring my sweet sentiments about why me and what have I done to deserve this?

Old 01-24-2000, 12:27 AM
Pro Rider

Guys,

Thanks for all the words of wisdom on the RSE finish. In Canada they are charging us an extra $800 bucks for the RSE option. A little hard to stomach but the camo sure looked cool in the brochure.

After reading about the application (bonding) of the camo material over the plastic panels, I began to wonder about the durability. When we asked the dealer he indicated he has sold about a dozen RSE models and has never seen them again - not much help on the durability question.

Your input was appreciated. The second I read the bit about the camo chipping,the boss (of the wife variety) nixed the RSE idea.

I guess the "olive drab" (as the military would call it) green is the machine of choice. I plan to have this for a long, long time and couldn't stand the chipping. I had enough trouble accepting scratches on the existing one!

Uh boss, maybe savings could buy a plow ...

Thanks Again,

DJ

Quick Reply: Finish on SP500 RSE