Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Broken Swingarm--I hate to admit it, but Scramblers won't hold up

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2001, 05:40 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

trailbreaker what kind of rims, size front, back and how do they hold up and if you could give me the part # of the rims i'm looking for a good set for my scrambler

Old 07-23-2001, 05:58 PM
Pro Rider

Well, I know that I ride mine fairly hard. I don't really "beat it", but I ride it harder than most. I would say the deffinition of beating on something is not only riding it hard, but also riding it stupidly (is stupidly a word?).

Anyone who admits to "beating" on their quad shouldn't have to ask why things break (not directed towards anyone specific). However, I think that all of the quads today should be able to hold up to hard riding.

Oh well, all I know is that mine has held up to everything that I have put it through, and I'm very satisfied with it. I ride with a Banshee, Warrior, and a 300ex in one group, and a Kodiak and a Magnum 500 in the other. I have no trouble keeping up with the Sport boys, and no trouble keeping up with the big boys either.

See ya.

-Josh

Old 07-23-2001, 07:21 PM
Pro Rider

How would you define stupidly? Jumping it 8 feet high? Riding it underwater? How about riding it off of small cliffs?
A quad that can't hold up to fast riding on rough trails is just poor quality. Everyone in our group rides fast on the same trails and are "beating" on their quads, yet everyone else rarely breaks down. We don't even attempt to jump the Scramblers anymore, because that's just asking for trouble. We are all well-above average riders with plenty of experience. Its the same story, trying to blame quality problems on the rider or the trails, anything but the manufacturer. I'm surprised someone hasn't suggested that we just happened to have bought 2 lemons.

Like I said, when they're not broken the Scramblers are great machines, but its a good thing I can do my own welding.

Old 07-23-2001, 07:37 PM
Trailblazer

Kevin,
If you have a 99 as I do the swingarms are weak due to only having a brace on the top. I have seen many break because of this on the right side about 4" behind the swingarm bolt. I have not had a problem since installing the new style. Good Luck

Old 07-23-2001, 08:31 PM
Pro Rider

<< How would you define stupidly? Jumping it 8 feet high? Riding it underwater? How about riding it off of small cliffs? >>

All of those listed, are in my opinion riding stupid and in that...&quot;beating&quot; on a quad (especially one that weighs as much as a Scrambler).

However, like I said, I wasn't directing my comment towards anyone...including you. To me, riding fast on a trail is not &quot;beating&quot; your quad (depending on trail conditions, I guess). Just because you are trying to get the most out of it, doesn't mean that you are beating on it. You may be riding it hard, but it's not like you are smacking rocks and stumps without regard. Whenever my friends and I ride, we are going through the trails as fast as we can. In my opinion, that's what a &quot;Sport&quot; quad is supposed to be for (I use the term &quot;sport quad&quot; loosely).

I guess we just have different ideas of what &quot;beating&quot; on a quad means.

Deffinatly no offense to you. It seems that you aren't riding your quad any different than the way I ride mine. Hitting a rock is a different story...when something like that happens, your lucky if you get out of it without something broken.

I don't know what to say...We could say that Polaris makes worthless quads, BUT there are a lot of people on here that haven't had any problems with theirs. We could say that it's the riders fault, but then theres guys like you that are just riding normally, nothing too harsh, and things break.

I don't know what to say.....

-Josh

Old 07-23-2001, 11:17 PM
Pro Rider

I hope you're right Mike. Instead of repairing mine, I'm going to use my brother's old one off of his 2000 model. He just bought a nice +4 off of Dennis Shotwell. I wish I'd bought one when he did. If anyone is interested in a good extended swingarm I'd recommend contacting Dennis.

I most definitely don't think Scramblers are worthless, but I have no doubt they are not as well built as some other quads.

Old 07-23-2001, 11:49 PM
Pro Rider

<< Well, I know that I ride mine fairly hard. I don't really &quot;beat it&quot;, but I ride it harder than most. I would say the deffinition of beating on something is not only riding it hard, but also riding it stupidly (is stupidly a word?).
Anyone who admits to &quot;beating&quot; on their quad shouldn't have to ask why things break (not directed towards anyone specific). However, I think that all of the quads today should be able to hold up to hard riding.
>>

Couldn't have said it better myself Piranha!

Old 07-23-2001, 11:52 PM
Pro Rider

Yeah, you could have probably come up with a better word than &quot;stupidly&quot;. See ya man. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

-Josh