Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Upgrading to SP500, Any comments?

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2000, 11:05 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I currently own a 98 Kawasaki KLF 400. I've Highlifted it and have 26X12X12 ITP Blackwaters all the way around. To date my only problem is a burned out headlight. I am very interested in the SP 500. The belt drive and true 4X4 along with independent suspension are tough to beat. My only reservation is the durability of the belt and slipping in deep water. I have heard stories about this being a problem. I know two people who own these models and they've had no trouble. Does anyone have any experience with this or suggestions pro or con?

The biggest reason I am selling the KLF is that I can't lock it!

[This message has been edited by Billjfish (edited 01-27-2000).]

Old 01-27-2000, 11:25 AM
Pro Rider

Bill,
Easiest way to cure the belt blues... Swap to a Dayco brand belt and unless you are doing some high speed trail cruising... leave it in LOW range...
I think i've had my Magnum 500 in High Range maybe 3-4 times... As you go with bigger tires (I run 27x12x12 and 27x10x12) and/or extra equipment that weighs down the machine, you will notice the need for Low range more and more often...

Old 01-27-2000, 12:27 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Keeping the Sportsman in low gear is a good suggestion when transpiring into difficult terrain.Also,the black cover that protects the belt has only 3 compression clips on it from the factory.I purchased 5 more at 50 cents each.The extra clips assure that the cover seals more efficiently and keeps the water OUT.Good Luck====BILL

------------------

Old 01-27-2000, 01:47 PM
Weekend Warrior

I think that the SP500 is a superb machine and would recommend it to anyone. The only other machine I really like is the Explorer 400. Polaris has made quite a few improvements to this model and I hope that they keep up the good work. Many people don't like it because of the chains, but now there's only one chain on the back. I have driven Sportsmens before and I find that they don't have the power of the 400, this is probably because it is a 4-stroke. The one thing I find is that the independant suspension tends to be a little stiff. I haven't heard of too many people having problems with their belt getting wet. I have only gotten the belt wet on mine once by driving way too fast through a big water-hole. I can tell you though that the maintenance on the Sportsman is really good and that it is a reliable machine.

Old 01-27-2000, 03:03 PM
Pro Rider

Most of the belt problem you hear about,comes from someone ridding some other brand.I myself have never had any problems but as Bill says I use low gear most of the time excepyt to run down the road.

------------------
THE FORMER CORNCOB2

Old 01-27-2000, 05:23 PM
Weekend Warrior

I agree about keeping it in low. However, you have to admit this is sometimes an annoyance. There are many times when--if it wasn't for belt preservation--I would run my 2000 SP500 in high. The machine certainly has the power to run in high over most terrain. The problem I have with low--around here in AZ--is that I often hit stretches of flat trails where I would like to go faster than low allows (without winding out the engine anyway). It would be really great if you could switch from low to high on the fly. I hate stopping, just to switch into high, and then stopping again three minutes later, to switch back into low.

Does anyone out there run mostly in high? I'm seriously considering running in high more often; and deal with the belt if I have to. I'm curious as to just how much riding in high reduces belt life. I wouldn't mind replacing the belt every six months or so, if it meant more enjoyment out of my quad, but replacing it every week would be out of the question.

-Mike Lynch
2000 SP500
1995 Xplorer 400
2000 Trail Blazer???? (really tempted!)

[This message has been edited by AZ_Mike (edited 01-27-2000).]

Old 01-27-2000, 05:55 PM
Pro Rider

I personall dont own a Polaris yet, but i am thinking of getting a Xplorer 400 soon! But I do ride my buddies Xplorer 300 though! and i usually leave it in high gear for most riding....unless i'm gonig to climb something steep, etc But with the belt issue, I have never had a problem we ride through deep water, and from what i hear you shoudl throw her in low and keep a moderate throttle, adn this will kepp some pressure in the belt housing blowing any water that atempts to get it from geqtting in....I think it is ok to mostly ride in high that is if your jsut riding dirt roads, or gravel.

a little rule of thumb....if you ahve to slow down to do whatever your trying to do......you probably shoudl be in low

Old 01-27-2000, 08:48 PM
Pro Rider

Theres agood rule of thumb first time I heard that but will sure use it now.As far as belt damage and wear that varies alot depends on what your doing and where.

------------------
THE FORMER CORNCOB2

Old 01-27-2000, 10:05 PM
Trailblazer

I have had no problems with sp500 as far as power goes. It will climb just about anything ( thats if you can hold on well enough ). The only time I have ever had belt slip was when I was in water that was way to deep. It came over the seat and I let off the throttle for just a sec. It only slipped a bit the took right back off. The Exhaust outlet pressure was to low for just a sec and water had of went in there. That was my own fault. I usually run in the low side just about everywhere i go. I am usually in no big hurry to fly to the next hole..

TRINITY

2000 sp500
99 sp335

Old 01-27-2000, 11:50 PM
Trailblazer

I leave my bike in high most of the time. The only time I put it in low is when Iam climbing or pulling a load. My bike is fairly new, but the guys I ride with have alot of hour on their bikes, they ride in high and have had no trouble. To ride in low all the time seems like a waste of fun. If I would want to go 10 mph everywhere I wouldn't have bought a bike capable of 58 mph. JUST MY THOUGHT!

Quick Reply: Upgrading to SP500, Any comments?