Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Brake problems!!! Hanging up.

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2000, 06:40 PM
'5 minutes worth of planning equals 30 minutes of execution'
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just installed brakes on my 1993 trail boss and have the rear brake hanging up to the point it will stop the quad when I let off the gas. The pads were pretty worn out so the new replacements are much thicker.

I do not know of an adjustment so I am afraid a caliper rebuild is in the future????????

Do new brakes have a wear in? Will the new pads quit hanging up with a little riding?

I have done brake jobs on autos for years and this would be unacceptable on a car.

Should I reinstall the old pads and just live with fair brakes?

How much is a caliper kit for the rear brake?

If anyone has had similar problems please tell me how they fixed this.

Old 01-29-2000, 07:18 PM
Pro Rider

On my Scrambler, there is a 3/16 allen head bolt on the caliper where the brake arm attaches...
I don't know if its the same, but on mine, you are suppose to turn that screw counter-clockwise to "back off" the preload of the brakes.....
THen, once the brakes are installed, you tighten the screw back up till you get the pedal travel free play set right.
I think its like 3/4" or 1" free travel before you feel them start to drag...
Another thing, you did push the caliper piston back by loosening the brake bleeder valve? Some peole will say that its ok to just force the fluid back into the resevior... That is HARD on the master cylinder...

Old 01-29-2000, 07:36 PM
Pro Rider

If you do indeed have a caliper problem the rebuild kits are not that expensive . I think less than $20.00. I believe the last one I changed for someone was $16.00 and some change. The brake on the rear of your Quad is likely over adjusted. The 7/16 bolt on the side where the linkage attaches is your adjustment. Break loose the bolt and turn it counterclockwise to loosen the brake. When it gets to a point where the brakes are no longer in a bind with the rotor tighten down the locknut located on the bolt. This should cure your trouble if it is an adjustment problem.

------------------
Kevin Gowdy aka Kagey 1999 Polaris Magnum 500

[This message has been edited by Kagey (edited 01-29-2000).]

Old 01-29-2000, 08:16 PM

Mudmachine - The 3/16 allen adjustment is on the front calipers but not on my rear caliper.

Kagey - I will try this but my footbrake has the correct amount of play according to the instructions on the insert with the new pads. It makes sence that there should be some kind of adjustment...I will give it a shot.
Mudmachine and Kagey thanks for the help!
I will try it and get back with ya'll.

Old 01-29-2000, 08:37 PM

Kagey
The **** on the side did seem to loosen the thing up a bit. I will not know until tomarrow when I can do a test ride. Thanks a million for the tip.

Old 01-29-2000, 10:39 PM
Pro Rider

So thats what that allen head bolt is for!

------------------
Ronnie Crecelius Xpedition 425

Old 01-29-2000, 11:47 PM
Pro Rider

Guess thats another Polaris production change.... On my REAR brake on the Scrambler.. the adjuster is a 3/16 allen wrench.. but on several utility models i've seen the bolt head....
Oh well, they adjust the same way... that should cure your problems...

Old 01-30-2000, 09:39 AM
Pro Rider

Weedy; Does yours have the **** or the bolt on the rear adjustment. I'm not sure of the year when it was changed. I know the models up to 91 had a **** on the adjustments and the brake was located on the side of the transmission,much like the sportsmans are now. After that they went to the 7/16 bolt for the rear adjustment when the brake was moved to the transmission output shaft. The late models have the Willwood calipers all the way around which adjust with the allen head screws. Hope your adjustment works out.

------------------

Old 01-30-2000, 12:13 PM
Pro Rider

Kagey,
On my 97 Scrambler 500 the adjuster bolt is an allen head screw for the rear brake... (located on the transmission output shaft)
I didn't buy the machine new, hhmm.. maybe somebody changed it out with an older model?..
Another thought I had was that the floorboards are futher back/output shaft is more forward than on utility models and they didn't put a bolt head there so people wouldn't get their jeans caught on the bolt?..
Makes me wonder..... I guess as long as it works life is good...?

Old 01-30-2000, 01:22 PM
Pro Rider

The Scramblers were an exception on the rear calipers. I was thinking only about "Utility" machines, Thanks for the info.

------------------

Quick Reply: Brake problems!!! Hanging up.