Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Polaris Sportsman 500

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2000, 12:45 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm pretty sure the parts for the Fuji Polaris motors are made in Japan, and assembled in Wisconsin. A very small Polaris dealer where I live told me they sold like 45 quads in 1 month's time, and 40 of them were Sportsman 500's! No wonder they're Polaris's best seller!

Old 02-01-2000, 03:35 AM
Pro Rider

ANDY; I traded because I wanted the EBS that was on 98,I really like it and wouldn't like to be with out it.All the old 500sp are still with in shouting distance.Ride with 98 all the time he had kawasaki 300 bought new 500sp,because of riding with me.Then when I told him I was selling 98 he bought it for his wife.When I ordered 00 yellow the little lady wanted yellow one two.MY partner is buying it from her,we'll be riding with it all the time.Shurley all these people that buy used quads aren't spending alot of time in the shop,as I don't see used polaris quads in adds for long.I ride with a whole bunch of sportsmans and we have no trouble.Sure there is bound to be problems they are only machines.But if you get deep enough into troubles you'll find most of them go back to dealer.If you have recuring trouble someone isn't doing thier job,the quad is only as good as the mechanic that works on it.Whats the post where he was unhappy with scrambler because of broken chain.He thinks polaris is junk,but it comes down to somebody not adjusting chain right,so right away it's polaris fault.I have dealer with real sharp mechanic,I have no problems.I'm sure some people have had bad experience,but what brand in here won't you find someone complaining about,and won't buy another one.I love my new FORD DIESEL but am sure there are some who wouldn't have it stuck where the sun don't shine on it.Well anyway enough said,I guess the point is if you ride such machine you are qualified to talk of same,if not it's only hear say.Right after your post there are happy owners,are they all wrong,also what about Pasqualies experience I'd think that would say something. LATER COB

------------------
THE FORMER CORNCOB2

Old 02-01-2000, 09:21 AM
Trailblazer

Before I bought my SP 500 I spent a lot of time reading anti Polaris posts. At that time I "just discovered" ATV world, I've never seen a Quad before./ For most of U here it may sound crazy, but I was heavy in skiing , mountain biking, tennis, hockey ,etc. Never liked any motor sport/.After my knee injury ATVing became # 1 sport for me./ Since I have full suspension mountain bike, I test drove SP 500 , love it and I took my chance with this piece of junk Polaris and bought it.Never regret it. The Polaris SP 500 is all I can ask for. Full suspension and the ground clearance is a complete piece of mind for me. SP 500 is a superior ride/I rode more quads since I bought mine/ and I would be willing to pay for the extra maintenance.
The only think I do not like is a heavy steering. I hope a steering damper will help.
In general I do not believe in reliability issue any more. Maybe Honda has a proven reliability , but who knows,if it will continue. With all new technologie /rubicon/
I would not be so excited. Maybe I am too skeptical, but I see quality not beeing an issue every day. It gets worse every year.

J.C.

Old 02-01-2000, 11:03 AM
Pro Rider

Hello all Polaris Sportsman 500 fans. I too own one of these excellent bikes, and think all this is funny how others are ******* Polaris. True, in the early days of Polaris, they did have some problems they needed to iron out. But, they were new in the market and were learning. This is where Polaris's bad reputation has come from. Since then, Polaris has made leaps and bounds in the quality control department. I've had no problems with my 99 SP500, and wouldn't have any other bike out there. About 2 years ago, I was in the market for a big-bore 4x4. It all came down to the Grizzly or the Sportsman. Giving in to what I thought was intuition, I bought the Japanese Grizzly, thinking it might not perform as well, but at least it would hold up better (as Japanese products normally do when compared to the American counterpart). Wow, was I disappointed. The Grizzly overheated several times, within only 500 miles the front wheel bearings were shot, the 4x4 select switch went out. And, after only the 1st time I washed it, it wouldn't crank at all. I mean, the motor wouldn't even turn over. I had to wait for something that got wet to dry (2 days). After 1 year with this JapCrap, I got over my inhibitions of the American product and traded it in on the SP500. Surely nothing could be worse than the Grizzly! I've now had the SP500 for 8 months, and absolutely love it.
On another subject involving Honda's: I know of about 8 guys that all own Honda 450's, and all of them have either had to have their engine overhauled (under warranty), or else the front differential rebuilt. One of these guys is a close friend, and he had both done to his. The thing about his bike is that he babies the thing. When we go mud-riding, he always goes around all mudholes, and goes home just as clean as when we started (except for dust). I know this article is long and maybe boring, but I really hate it when people trash Polaris, especially when they haven't even had one. Anybody on unmodified Japcrap (my SP500 is completely stock) want to go riding with me? Better bring a rope permanently tied to the front of your bike, because I'll be pulling you most of the way.

Old 02-01-2000, 03:41 PM
Pro Rider

walexa;thamks good post ,it's exactualy what I was saying earlier.You will find someone with GRIZ that traded in POLARIS on it and is happy.

Old 02-01-2000, 04:02 PM
Range Rover

I my be only 16 but at least i dont trash talk people and start fights. I was just saying how the engine werent made in usa. I read it in dirtwheels a while ago. any sorry if i ruffled your feathers. now back to the Sportsman!

------------------
99 Wolverine, FMF MegaMax2 Pipe, K&N jet kit, Pro Flow Intake system w/Outwears, OxLite brush guards, Front/rear Skidplate, DuraBlue Elimanator axle, lift kit and 25" Kenda BearClaws

Old 02-01-2000, 07:04 PM
Range Rover

I agree with Wolf99, he doesn't trash talk and start fights. I wish we could say that about some of our other less mature members.

Glenn.

Old 02-01-2000, 07:22 PM
Pro Rider

Hey JC -

The steering dampener won't help the heavy steering. Different tires will though. Several of the aftermarket tires are much easier to steer than the stock rubber up front. Also, make sure the pressure is up, two lbs. makes big difference in steering feel.

<A HREF="http://www.godigital-design.com/96Polaris.html">Schultz Motorsports</A>

Old 02-01-2000, 07:31 PM
Pro Rider

J.C. If you are looking for a tire to reduce steering effort. Try the Goodyear Muddrunners. I put them on my Magnum 500 and they really made a big diffrence in the steering effort. I would think the same would apply to the Sportsman. Maybe we should ask Bill Cilliberti he has them on his Sportsman 500.

------------------
Kevin Gowdy aka Kagey 1999 Polaris Magnum 500

Old 02-01-2000, 08:37 PM
Trailblazer

At least parts of the polaris engines are made in the good old U.S.A..I make polaris reed cages at work.we also make seals for them.Just for the record we also make honda and yamaha seals.ford,gm,jhon deer,whirlpool.

Quick Reply: Polaris Sportsman 500