Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

All of the new rumors for 02

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2001 | 01:53 PM
Range Rover

Lurch77, you are correct. If Polaris had pattened everything that they have made so far like other companies I know (yammaha!) you wouldn't see all these other new things coming out. It is acctually a good thing for the consumer. They get better products.

Old 08-05-2001 | 11:28 AM
Pro Rider

You can't patent the new application of an old idea. Disc brakes, Independent suspension etc. are old ideas, and good ones. And credit goes to Polaris for using these features on an ATV first. But you can't patent what you didn't invent.
The new Grizz is a direct shot at the Sportsman and the Rubicon. And it hits the mark, The Grizz blows them away in most catagories. But then there are these damn "woods riders" that want everything narrow. And the Japanese seem to like everything narrow. Like a Raptor just has to have a wider rear axle. The new Grizz has these inset wheels that narrow the thing down to 43.5". As I said, I liked the handling and suspension of the Polaris, they are not narrow, and in fact they powerslide great. The new Grizz with the narrow track wouldn't powerslide at all till we put the Douglas wheels on it, which widened it out to 49" rear and 46" front.
Handling and suspension, the I.R.S. is what makes the Sportsman.
That's what is has going for it. And good handling is a requisite whether you are a beginner or an expert as far as I'm concerned. But the Fugi 4-stroke belongs in a fork lift. And the Sportsman is way too heavy. Yamaha worked hard to take the best of the Sportsman, make it lighter and more powerful. But then they stuck those damn skinny tires and inset wheels on it. Oh yeah, the 4x4 system, with the locking front differential is SO much better than the Polaris ratcheting hub set up. And the engine is so much narrower than the Polaris. Like riding a motorcycle instead of a horse.
So a 740 lb Sportsman with an even wider in-line twin engine?
I don't think Polaris is coming out with that!! What a joke!! I liked the v-twin rumor way better. With the new models released, Polaris must not have anything coming out, unless they shoved what they had back in the garage after seeing the new Grizz and Kawi.
[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]

Old 08-05-2001 | 11:50 AM
Weekend Warrior

FOURLIX,
Go read the post ''Sportsman 700 in-line twin'',I'd like your input in that post.Thanks,
Bill

Old 08-06-2001 | 12:08 AM
Range Rover

fourlix, I would not go about commenting on the width of the engine on the Sportsman 700 as you have not seen anything nor know nothing about it. The overall dimmensions of the machine has not changed. Have a nice day...

Old 08-06-2001 | 08:54 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Scottaboshia,
i'm waiting to see the pictures you are supposed to get this week.
(Let's clear-up the myth of a 700SP once and for all)

MT

P.S. I love my quads! the number of faults i can find with them don't even amount to the number of fingers on my right hand! i just want something a little different for my next ATV.