Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

700 for real!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2001, 10:46 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I went to my dealer on thur. after he said his rep. was to be there. I asked him about the 700 and he said it's real and will be delivered 2 in Sep. Then he said do you want to see it, brought me back to his office, he showed me a file from his rep. with colored pitures of the 2002. He gave me a photo copy of the SP700,SP500H.O.X, and the Scram.400 4x4 X I even saw a piture of a red SP90 coming out. If I had a scanner I would post them. I even have the model# A02CH68CA/AA It will be in Silver and Black color And the 1st 1500 will come with a plack.
And as far as chassis go for hp to weight ratio, tell me how many 250r you know that don't have alot of extra welds to them because they keep cracking, and why true racers put on aftermarket frames on because the stock don't hold up. And most people who get these 4x4 put 27" or 28" tires under them. Then go places where no man should go then back. Then look at trucks, if you had 2 4x4 and one weighed 20% less then the other for about 6% less money and you were to go 4wheeling every weekend which one do you think would hold up. The point is I would rather have a little thicker steel and driving components under me, if i'm going to spend 7k on a 4x4.

Old 08-11-2001, 02:26 AM
Pro Rider

Everybody always wants the latest scoop, and when they get it, they say it's BS and blow it off. Come on guys. Monday the announcement should come. All the dealers already know about it and have pictures, some might be keeping quiet. The one post on the net the other day was real. I've seen real pictures also, of the motor, chassis, cutaways, etc, on 35mm film.

As far as the weight goes, come on guys! The weight has never been a problem on the Sportsman 500 except when you try to lift it up yourself. Not only that, but with 20% more HP and 25% more torque than the 500 HO, and it weighs the same as the Ducks or Remington, it's not that bad! You guys get all worked up way too easy.

Old 08-11-2001, 02:41 AM
Range Rover

Yes, weight really isn't an issue here. It isn't every day that you decide, "Hey, I think I am gonna lift my quad today..." People just don't do that. Even on the lighter quads, most people have winch on them, just put one on the 700. It isn't easy to try and convince people here of new things when they don't want to belive it in the first place. You wait and wait to hear this stuff, then you don't think its real or care much about it when you are told the factual information. As for the Sportsman 700, you should all believe that now as there have been a variety of people here posting information about it, not just including myself. Polaris should have a pretty bright future ahead of them. Just sit back and watch.

Old 08-11-2001, 02:07 PM
Pro Rider

Re-inforced Concrete is a modern marvel when it comes to building bridges, buildings etc. Obviously Polaris has studied this at length and decided to strengthen the frame of the new SP 700 by filling the tube frame with high-tech concrete. A weighty solution but obviously worth it for the increased strength and rigidity.
A single smaller carburator can increase intake velocity, and improve atomization and efficiency, and lower costs. Improved low-end torque and fuel efficiency are obvious advantages, albeit at the cost of top end horsepower. This leaves room for a SP700 H.O. model next year, with a bigger carb, or ooo, Dual Carbs!! at an increased price of course.
An overhead valve, two valve/cylinder (instead of a costly 4 0r 5 valve/cylinder, single or double overhead cam) lowers costs and lowers Center of Gravity, improving cornering. It does limit rpm potential, but who needs to rev more than 6,000 rpm anyway? (A pushrod engine has absolutely no advantage at lower rpm)
A 4-stroke inline twin, though evening out power strokes,
offers little improvement in volumetric efficiency and dynamic balance over a single cylinder of the same displacement. It does add weight and complexity, and, but it does provide some new components for a 340cc single!
Along this line of thinking, Polaris should consider air-cooling, which lowers weight and reduces complexity, reducing costs. A solid front axle with leaf springs could lower center of gravity and attract the 4x4 crowd.

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img]

I don't know if this "PICTURE" and these specifications are fake or real. I hope they are fake, because they are most un-impressive. If they are real, the SP 700 is going to be a real loser in this high-tech battle against the Grizz and the Kawie, even the Quest. Only DIE-HARD Polaris fans are going to go for a design this antiquated, this retro. Honda's OHV, inline Rubicon and Foreman is an interesting design, but not worth the trouble. On the other hand, The new Honda 450 MX bike, with a single overhead cam that directly drives the intake valves like a double overhead cam and them drives the exhaust valves via rockers is a brilliant, weight saving, rpm increasing design.
I hope this info is all fake and all wrong. Where's the new Plastic? The EFI? [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img]
An overhead valve, 2-valve/cylinder, inline twin with a single carb? Talk about a FORKLIFT MOTOR!!
Maybe this is a 700 prototype with OLD plastic and this spec sheet is all wrong, mere speculation by someone with a low-tech, chevy small block kinda background. I hope so. I can't believe Polaris engineers would put so little technology and so much WEIGHT into a new, much anticipated design.

Old 08-11-2001, 04:42 PM
Pro Rider

The reason most 250r's have frame welds is not because they have too much power, it's because they are jumped! Have you ever seen a MX race? They do this thing with there bikes where they hit these specially formed hills which launch them into the air! Have you ever ridded a Motorcross specific motorcycle such as a cr250, or a yz426? These bikes put out a MUCH higher power to weight ratio, but there frames don't tear apart...what gives? These frames aren't even made of mild steel, either! Common...just because your an american company polaris, doesn't mean you should make a heavy quad! If polaris is interested in perfomance, why don't they apply some technology. Could you imagine there 400 2-stroke, in a sub-400lbs frame? It would be untouchable speedwize!

Old 08-11-2001, 07:12 PM
Weekend Warrior

Everyone was convinced that the H.O. Sportsman was no big deal vs. other bikes too. Weight disadvantage, not much more power than the original, all that B.S. The truth is that the Sportsman is an awesome, independently suspended chasis that works really well, and with the added power that the H.O. motor provided,is to this day is a dominant quad in the utility/rec segment of the 500cc class bikes. What makes you guys think that a 700 engine in a Sportsman based chasis isn't going to muster up to the new rice rocket entries? As far as the weight, toughness issues go, there are really light, strong materials available for frame construction. The one catch is that they are expensive to use. I didn't see what I thought to be high prices on the offerings from across the Pacific, so you could conclude that we don't have those high dollar materials involved in construction. With that we can also conclude that durability may be in question because of smaller guage metal used for weight savings. I am not saying that is how it is, just, that the possibility exists. Time will tell. Don't kid yourselves, big power will tweak a weak chasis, take a look at Arctic Cats Thundercat snowmobiles, very fast until the chasis is tweaked, then lack of alignment in the track, clutches, etc. slows them dramatically. Utility bikes need a tough chasis and reliable motor for those hunting trips to nowhere, but, they must also be able to haul the mail for those rec rides. That is a tough niche to fill, and so far the best bike at it has been the Sportsman 500 H.O. bar none!