Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Snapped grease fitting; have to buy whole cv joint?

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2001, 08:31 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Informed by my dealer that my '00 SP500 with broke off grease zerk(joint ahead of the prop shaft) would require purchasing whole assy. Does Polaris buy joints from so many differrent vendors that they won't take the time or know what's std./metric on their machines? I'll find a replacement, yet irks me that I'M running all over town trying to find a special zerk that you can get a wrench on. Anyone else run into this? As Roy D. Mercer would say; 'I,m about to put a pop knot on somebody's head big 'nough to need a support garment!'

Old 08-10-2001, 11:46 AM
Pro Rider

Hard to believe they want you to buy complete unit just for a broken off zerk fitting. I worked at a local hardware store and we had two assortments of zerk fittings, standard and metric in different sizes and in different angles. Try a small local hardware store.

Old 08-10-2001, 02:52 PM
Pro Rider

Try a farm implement dealer, too. Our local CaseIH dealer carries 3 sizes of standard & 2 metric threaded zerk sizes, as well as 2 different sizes of 'press in' zerks. Surely there would be one somewhere that would fit.

Old 08-11-2001, 01:14 PM
Pro Rider

Farmer/92lt,

Thanks for the reply. Dealer called Polaris and was informed that since they didn't MAKE that part they couldn't POSSIBLY know where they got it from to confirm metric or standard. Let's get real; nobody makes parts anymore as they are outsourced to the cheapest vendor with(supposedly)the best relative quality. My experience has been that the bean counters(PA's) never keep track of who their trading with relative to where those parts go in production until there's a quality problem. Then they're back to the (hopefully American) supplier who's two cents higher than the Chinese guy that 'earned the business.'

The zerk isn't std. in that the tapped hole is recessed in the joint where it's difficult to get enough downforce pressure(let alone turn) to TEST std. v.s. metric as the zerk threads are partially stripped. Fitting also has the hexagonal shoulder extended to the top so you can get a wrench on it.

I'll special order this thing (one std. and one metric) from one of my suppliers no problem; just burns me a little that my problem isn't worthy of Polaris' time. But hey, what's one more sale lost to the Grizzly.............