Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Sportsman's don't float! Need drain plug for tranny!

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2001, 11:42 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well this weekend was the weekend to see who could do what. We had 2 AC 500's, 1 500 quadmaster, 1 2000 grizzly, 1 honda foreman and 1 Sportsman and 1 kodiak.
We crossed this water hole that was about 4 feet deep, the water was over the front racks on my grizz, I was afraid, because that's alot of water, i've been in floating situations but not that deep. Well AC manuals crossed, then the quadmaster crossed, well he sucked in water real bad, wouldn't go for about 1 hour, but aleast got to drain his tranny. Well I ended sucking in about a cup of water in my tranny too, no problem, let the water out and I started it and let it run in neutral for about 5 min. took off and it rode the same. The SP was not in good condition because NO drain plug, we towed him home which was about 2.5hrs home. We could not get the water out and it seemed full. They need to put a drain plug so you can let the trapped water out. The kodiak also let some water in but like mine, has a drain plug so no problem. The honda took some in and it would go for about half an hour, we changed the plug and it was fine. The only one who had to be towed home was the SP. That really sucked for him and boy was he mad! Can't blame him either.
Earlier we hit some mud holes and if one was stuck it seem like we all got stuck. It was great.
Put some pressure on your dealers for a drain plug.

2000 Grizz
3500 km's and not a hickup.

Old 08-13-2001, 04:24 PM
Pro Rider

You and your buddy must not know alot about Polaris. If he would have put the bike in neutral and revved it up, it would have pumped the water out on its own. Enjoy your drain plug on that Yamaha. It is not necessary on a Polaris.

Also, his belt would have been dry and he would have been waiting on you for 5 minutes to dry yours. The Polaris dries very fast.

This is an example of the ignorance that gives Polaris a bad name.

Greg

Old 08-13-2001, 06:11 PM
Pro Rider

You need to tell your buddy,for future water crossings,keep on the throttle(not heavy)nice and steady.
And do what greg said.