Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Understanding the Polaris 4wd system...

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2011, 11:28 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default hilliard cam wear

i wann say that i think the hilliard cam nuts on my 96 xp 500 are plain worn out. the flats of the nut are worn on each side and curved a bit in the middle and the corners yu can see 3/32" rounded on each side of the used to be sharp corners of the nut. i think when my rears are slipping that the roller bearings are just spinning over the corners of the cam nut instead of locking the hub?

Old 01-31-2011, 02:59 PM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've seen old threads resurrected before but not 10 years old. Somebody will have a good answer soon.

Old 02-02-2011, 08:28 PM
Pro Rider

hilliard cam nuts? you mean the nut that holds it and the front wheel bearings tight?
the cam or square block is splined to the cv shaft. it forces the rollers into the outside locking up the front hub.

Old 02-03-2011, 12:15 PM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

But for rock climbing, and technical, slick hard surfaces, or downhill, it only lets the front wheels pull when they are slower than the rear. And sometimes that is too late.. Instead of a steady, even pull,
Too late? the engagement and disengagement happens is instantaneous the rider never feels it happen or sees it. Here is a Video showing the rear wheel slip vs front wheel engagement reaction time,try and spot it.
YouTube - Polaris AWD demonstration

Here is a Polaris vs the Can AM AWD set up. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vtEW9tcJaLE

It just does not get quicker than that.

Old 02-03-2011, 12:45 PM
Pro Rider

Hey TLC..

In sheepdog's video...Looks like the wheels are spinning at different speeds...

John

Old 02-04-2011, 01:07 AM
Trailblazer

In offroad traction is a whole lot more difficult to understand than on a level road surface.

Most of what we understand under traction on a road surface is caused by friction between the tire and the tarmac/concrete.
When a tyre exceeds its friction limit "looses grip" it simply spins or slides.
Because dynamic friction is always lower than static friction you easily end up burning rubber or in a ditch.

Now offroad is a whole different ball game. Compacted dirt, gravel, sand, mud, snow, ice and varying levels of stickyness.
But the biggest common they all have is that even when loosing static traction all these surfaces can provide a larger variation of dynamic friction.

We can skid our rear wheels through a corner and your wheels can dig down and throw huge chuncks of mudpie out back.

What does this have to do with Polaris AWD system. Well you can still make a vehicle perfectly driveable with a slightly different gearing for the rear wheels.

Polaris uses the hilliard clutch, Can-am has its viscolock, other makes have various degrees of limited slip or lockers. And they all work fine in 95% of offroad driving.

Why I like the Polaris system and Can-am system?
Well you switch it on when you hit the dirt and simply forget it!

The youtube fragment where they try to conquer a vertical wall with sand in the rear isn't exactly a normal situation.
You could use it for a vertical parking space, but simply driving over the obstacle?? Don't think so.
Would be nice to have a spiderman atv though.

Old 02-04-2011, 10:05 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider

That what I like about the Can-Am and Polaris AWD , Unlike most with 3 steps to engage into 2wd,4x3 or true 4WD (diff lock) and you have to stop to engage and dis engage diff lock because diff lock makes the ATV almost unsteerable.

The AWD system is set it and for get it. It goes from 2wd to AWD on its own you really never know what its in sometimes. You only choice is 2wd only for those days you like to power slide/fish tail around turns.

Old 02-07-2011, 08:10 PM
Trailblazer

when i ride in the snow i always have the feeling that i am on grease any tricks to make it feel more stable ,straight.

Old 02-08-2011, 02:08 PM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider

Chains on all 4 tires,would help.

Old 02-10-2011, 08:52 AM
Range Rover
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Lol you guys are all talking about differnt years of atvs. On new ones you dont have hubs and you dont need overide in reverse.

Quick Reply: Understanding the Polaris 4wd system...