Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Scrambler or a Wolverine

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2001, 06:14 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am thinking about buying a quad in the future and have narrowed my search to 2 quads the Scrambler or Wolverine. So my questions are? Are there any plow kits for the Scrambler? I seen one on one once did not bother to ask the guy what company it came from. Can you do wheelies with the Scrambler or the Wolverine? Or is the front end to heavy? Any other comments would be helpful? I rode my friends sportsman and I thought it was ok but want something sportier.

thanks

Old 08-21-2001, 06:30 PM
Pro Rider

Well if I had to choose I would deffinately choose the Scrambler hands down. There are a number of reasons, so I'll just be breif. The two more important things for me is that the Scrambler is quite a bit faster, whether your talking about the 500 Scram or the 400 Scram, and you can also switch between 2x4 and 4x4 with the Scram. Those two factors alone make the decision for me. Throw in the fact that it is an automatic, and that's an added bonus (for most people).

Now to answer your other questions...Can you buy a plow for the scrambler. Yes, I have seen plow kits for the Scrambler. Unfortunatly I don't have any of my magazines here next to me (I'm at work), so I can't tell you where I saw them or how much they cost.

Can a Scrambler wheelie. I can't speak for the 500cc Scram, but my 400 Sport (which is the same thing as the 400 scram) can wheelie like crazy. Check out my webpage for some pics if you'd like (Click Here). I wish I had a video on there cause I can literally ride a wheelie for about 75-100 yards easy. Most of the time I have to let the front down cause I run out of room.

So like I said, hands-down I would select the Scrambler. To be honest, I have never driven a Wolverine, so I can't say the good or bad of them, but my friend has a Warrior (which is the same engine as the Wolverine, and it's a lot lighter). I would pic the Scrambler any day over the Warrior for anything but jumping. The Scrambler is a tad on the heavy side, and that is really my only complaint with mine. Other than that, I have nothing to complain about.

It would be best if you could test ride both quads and see which feels the best to you. After all, every rider has different tastes. You may like the Wolverine better for some reason.

Either way, I'm sure you'll be happy.

-Josh

Old 08-21-2001, 07:06 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

well, i can speak for my scrambler,
which has 3 inch larger rear tires than stock,
and it can pull a wheelie like its nothing,
tow my friends quad up a hill out of mud stuck on a rock like its nothing,
the 400 motor has so much power its crazy,
the wolverine can not wheelie,
unless you havbe enough strength to pull the front end off the ground by your self,
scrambler can blow away a warrior in a drag and top speed and power,
and i started out on a fully manual quad, but i dont miss shifting at all

Old 08-21-2001, 07:38 PM
Pro Rider

Well speaking from MY personal experiences from each manufacture, I’d go for the Yamaha. An auto clutch is far more reliable and more important to me then speed or 2wd/4wd switching ability. It all depends what your main purpose for the machine is. Wheelies or work.

Old 08-21-2001, 09:38 PM
Range Rover

Here ya go here is a shootout between the 2 of them I had scanned for someone before just click the link and checkout image 1 through 6 just click on the picture to get it large size so you can read it.

Hope this helps you out
shootout Scrambler /Wolverine

Old 08-21-2001, 10:19 PM
Range Rover

I just came back from a week long ATV trip in the Colorado mountains. There were serveral ATV's in camp, and I rode all of them. I was very disappointed in the 2001 Wolverine that my buddy had about 20 hours on, as I had thought about buying one instead of my Raptor. The Wolverine was the slowest ATV in camp, (Big Bear, Honda 300ex, Wolverine, Scrambler 400, Raptor) and couldn't even pull 5th gear on the forest roads (we were at 9500 feet in evelvation). The Yamaha Big Bear with the 400cc engine instead of the 350cc in the Wolverine was MUCH faster, although it topped out first because of it's lower gearing. I spent several hours on the Wolverine, and on a Scrambler 400, and there was no comparison in performance. I really wanted to like the Wolverine because it's supposed to be a "sporty" 4 wheel drive, but I couldn't tell that it handled any better than the Big Bear. The Wolverine may have more suspension travel than the Big Bear, but they both start to "pogo" around in the rough stuff at about the same time. I test drove a Scrambler 500 last week, and the torque and performance from a stop really impressed me. It takes something to impress me since I ride a slightly modified Raptor on the trails. The switchable 2wd-4wd on the Scrambler and the "real" 4wd instead of the Wolverine's 3wd is something to think about too. I would admit that the Wolverine may have better reliability than the Polaris, but I definitely would not have been happy with one since I was expecting something at least a little sporty. I hate to be negative, but I figure that someone looking at a Wolverine will probably be expecting more...
Good luck with what ever you choose,
Lorrin Lee

Old 08-21-2001, 11:09 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hiofcer

the wolverine is NOT made for workm
and neithger is the 350 cc motor it has,
the scrambler will pull stuff just as well as the wolverine once you hit the gas

Trending Topics

Old 08-22-2001, 01:50 AM
Pro Rider

I would agree with 3TV almost to a tee but unfortunately 3TV has also had some problems with his Scram. I have quite a few miles on my Scram and have not been left on the trail 1 single time. The Wolverine is a decent machine though, I'm not 100% sure on this but I think if price is an issue you should be able to get a Wolverine a fair bit less than a Scram. I know the Wolverine engine is basically bullet-proof but the lack of any cooling other than the air passing by might also be a factor for you. For me the Scrambler is a fantastic all around ATV. Dont expect to be the fastest guy on the trail but dont think you'll be anywhere close to the slowest either. I will also add the ability to switch in and out of 4wd I think is a big plus. Either way have fun and enjoy.

Old 08-22-2001, 03:28 AM
Pro Rider

As I stated originally MY experiences…. My opinion is the scram is not a work-oriented machine especially plowing. When I bought my 400 they didn’t even make a winch mount let alone a plow. Needless to say I was very disappointed with this machine. When a plow mount was finally available I bought it and installed a 48" county plow. Not only did it seem as though it wasn’t geared low enough for the plowing I needed to accomplish, it also made it a maintance nightmare.

As for the Wolverine, It’s a hair underpowered especially when comparing them to a scram in the speed dept. But when was the last time you saw a Wolverine owner plowing a lake and have to stop because his transmission sucked in snow and had to wait for their belt to dry?

Old 08-22-2001, 10:32 AM
Pro Rider

I have ridden the Wolverine many times and realy liked it compared to most 4X4 quads out there. The motor is so under powered that I personaly would never own one, but it was kind of fun to ride.
To make it go as fast as my slow pig Sportsman 500 you have to rev the Yamaha untill the motor dam near starts floating valves and then start mashing that clunking auto clutch trany. The combined sound of a 350 air cooled motor reving its guts out and the hamering cluncks from the tranny sound a lot like a large chipper going through 6 inch tree trunks.
Then It is a tiny bit faster than the Sportsman. I personaly hate those auto clutch trannys. They require a lot a heavy toe work and make horiable clunking sounds when shifted under power.
Give me a manual clutch or a belt (Which by the way I have never seen in my whole life give any trouble other than when actually submerged under water for an extended period of time, and then all you do is put the tranny in nutral, rev the motor for a couple seconds, this blows out any water, and go)
If you did want to plow snow and do farm work, neither of these two choices will do that.
I heard a rumor from Roger, the guy that owns the Wolverine I ride, he said the dealer told him next year it might have the Kodiak 400 liquid motor and tranny in it. Then I might like the Wolverine over the Scrambler. But we all know how those rumors are.
Either one would be a lot of fun and a good choice for trail rideing and general quad play.

Quick Reply: Scrambler or a Wolverine