Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

First ride on sp700, VERY!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2001, 06:24 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

UNIMPRESSED...
I consider myself a Polaris diehard, I've had 6 of them and still have 2 with none giving me any problems. I was the first to give a deposit on the 700 at my dealer. So you can say I like them. My dealer gave me a call to let me know the 700 was going to be at the ATV Jamboree today at Gunstock NH, to go up and give it a ride. So I traveled almost 2 hrs. to ride it. I paid to get in and went straight to the Polaris demo area. When I first saw it it looked just like the sp500 except for the tires and rack extensions but when I got closer there was a few nice addons such as key start, digital display, bigger radiator, winch mount, chrome wheels and very nice Goodyear Grip tires. Other then that it looked like a sp500. Then it was time to ride it, so I turned the key and fired it up, it was very quiet too quiet for me, if I have a twin under me I want it to sound that way. So I put it into gear and was expecting it to toss me back, it didn't, then while I was going and punched it, it didn't feel much different then my sp500. Granted it only had 1 mile on it, and the demo track wasn't that great, I did or thought for a 700 it would WOW me but it didn't. I tried my hardest to get the front wheels off the ground, but there was no way it was going to. But before I told the Rep how it felt I had to try the Griz. and Kawi. 650 first. The Griz. sounded better and was a little quicker off the line. It ran good' and had a nice ride. I too tried to get the front wheels up but to no prevale. I think most was due to the suspension being to soft. But over all it was better then the sp700, mostly being $400 less. Now it was the Kawi. turn when that fired up it sounded like there was some power under it. Then getting it going was instantaneous, this one flew. Getting the front wheels off the ground was a slight pull of the bars and up she went, and did this in high or low range. Was very impressed with the power and handeling of the 650. I thought it was the best of the three. But before I give up on the 700 I had to try it one more time. I came back even more convinced the 650 was best. So thinking this might be only my thoughts, I stayed around the 700 to here others opinions. They were
" Not much different then my 500"
" To slow"
" Not much low end"
" Takes off to slow"
" 650 is much better"
Then I talked to the salesman at the dealership the 700 was at, and I told him I was VERY DISAPPOINTED withe the sp700. Then he told me last night they dragged the sp700 with the Kawi.650 and the 650 beat it by 5 or 6 lenths. So in conclusion unless they do something drastic to the motor or clutches to get that power to the ground, there will be no sp700 in my garage.

Old 08-25-2001, 06:44 PM
Trailblazer

Good post 4x4 I didnt think that sportsman could beat the grizz and kawi performance wise being that it weighs 750 pounds compared to the 2 600 pound machines. I have a 660 grizz and it hauls. You get to 60 so fast I imagine the prairie is there to. As far as wheeling the grizz its so easy after you get it broken in. You can even hold the whelie for a couple of seconds its great. So im glad to hear that the big pig cant pull its own weight as good because some people were saying how its gonna blow by the prairie and grizz I guess you just proved them wrong

Old 08-25-2001, 07:15 PM
Pro Rider

I cant compare the 3 but I did get some limited time on the Kawi. First off Im not a big Kawi fan so I wasnt expecting much. Man was I surprised. I am a big Polaris fan but but not to the point where I wont buy someting else. Maybe to me the 700 will feel or seem different to me than you GE but I think the 700 has a tough road ahead to compete with the Kawi at least. I felt the Kawi was almost explosive from a dead stop or at least as explosive as a 600lb utility can be. The digital readout on the Kawi is much nicer than what Ive read about the 700 so far, and you still have the weight issue. I'll reserve judgement until Ive been on all 3 but I must admit that when Polaris waited so long to get to market with the 700 they are automaticaly going to have to live up to the Yama and Praire and I can only hope their up to the test.

Old 08-25-2001, 07:33 PM
Trailblazer

GE4x4

It sounds like to me what both you and Topgunahs need is a Raptor or a DS650 if you want to pull wheelies or go really fast. I my self use my Sportsman for rock climbing and trail riding not for pulling wheelies and racing down the trail. My concerns would be does it ride nicer than the Grizzly can it pull more weight when pulling a trailer and how would I feel after a long 100 mile trail ride. If what you are looking for is performance then you need to look more at the Kawasaki 650 or a true sport quad. When the Magazines compare these 4 wheelers there not going to say one is better than the other because it can pull wheelies or go 65 to 70 MPH they are going to look at the total package. After seeing and hearing the comments on these forum my opinion is that the Grizzly will be the Top UTILITY 4 wheeler to beat and notice I said UTILITY I don't think Kawasaki is going after the SP buyers I think that 4 wheeler is targeted more at the Scrambler buyers it is more of a sport quad then a utility quad. The SP 700 is going to be to heavy Polaris really needs to learn how to design lighter quads. I do think Polaris will sell a lot of the 700 because 700 sounds a lot better and bigger than 660 and 650 that is why I think the 600 Grizzly sold so many not because it was the best 4 wheeler cause it wasn’t it was the one with the biggest number and to a lot of people that is all that will matters which is sad but true. Anyways thanks for your post I don't mean to bash you but I am just sick of people trying to make a utility 4 wheeler into a sport quad or think it should perform like on if people really wanted there Sportsmans or Grizzly's to go 65 or 70 MPH maybe they should have looked at a sport quad and not at a Sportsmans or Grizzly.

Old 08-25-2001, 07:48 PM
Weekend Warrior

Man4922,
I have a Xplorer 400cc 4x4 Utility ATV.I love being able to SMOKE by my buddies on their 4x4 Utes.Does this mean that I have to go out and buy a DS 650 or a Raptor?I also love doing wheelies on my Xplorer.Should I sell the Xplorer and buy a DS or Raptor?I think not!Just because a persons desires speed and wheelies does not mean he should be on a Sport ATV.

I must also admit,so far,im not impressed with the stats on the new Sportsman.I think it is far to heavy for MY likings and im not yet sold on that engine yet.Only time will tell?

Bill

Old 08-25-2001, 08:52 PM
Pro Rider

I really don't think Polaris came out with the sp700 not to compete against the Griz. or Kawi. and say it's for the utility people only. I considered my sp500 a sport/utility, it beat everyone in the 500 class in speed, power, ride, and suspension, should I expect anything less on the 700. The 700 still has the ride and suspension, but if it has 25% more hp then the 500HO, somebody got to change the gearing or clutches to get it to the wheels. Maybe thats why there's demo out there to get the people's view on it so they can make any changes before they release them in a month. I hope they do, but the way it is now I won't get one.

Old 08-26-2001, 03:24 PM
Pro Rider

One other think I forgot to mention is in high range if you got on it, let off and hit it again there was a loud clunking sound in the engine. I know with a inline twin it needs counterweight to keep vibs. down. But if this is the sound it makes, it doesn't sound very good.

Trending Topics

Old 08-26-2001, 04:32 PM
Pro Rider

GE4x4,

was this machine a pre-production unit??? i cant imagine polaris making a big-bore less than the competion. I have heard from seveal people that polaris tested the sp700 aginst the kawie650 and it would beat it. I am sure that if polaris new there new "flagship" wouldnet beat the others then they make necessary changes.
doesent it have 44-45hp?? it weights the same as the HO DUSE so i would think you would notice the extra hp and torque.

later
jon

Old 08-26-2001, 04:50 PM
Pro Rider

its not what u think and its not the quiickness to the guys how ride polarises that i know they go for power pulling power not quickneess but the power to pull a trailer with quads on it or something me myself is not into it but from my friends point of view thats what they wouold buy it for if i was into it my self i would get the yamaha becuase kawasakis might be fast but wait till the parts start goin bad on that bizzzznitch

im proolly gonna have the same problem with my rqptor when it starts goin bad

Old 08-26-2001, 04:53 PM
Pro Rider

That's why I was so unimpressed with it. That's why after I rode the Griz. and Kawi I went back to ride the 700 again, I came back even more disappointed. I don't know where these people say it has all this HP and torque,I didn't feel it. And like I said I'm a diehard polaris guy, so I hope that before they release them they will fix the problem. Unless that 700 I was riding was a lemon, it will not be KING of the 4x4 anymore. And I did ask if this was a prototype or the real machine they will sell, and the rep. said this was the real deal. And when the owner tells me the Kawi was faster, then the salesmen drag it and lost by 5 or 6 lenths that also lets me know that it lacks big hp and torque. And for $7,400 I don't want a $7000 machine smoking me like that out on the trails, it would be quite embarassing.

Quick Reply: First ride on sp700, VERY!!!!