Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Scrambler X knocking noise

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2001, 01:28 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just purchased a Scrambler X and it has a loud knocking noise. The machine did it when I bought it, but the dealer said it was normal. Since then it has gotten worse. The machine has about 2 hours on it. Has anyone ever heard of this and is it normal?
When you first start the x, it doesnt knock. After reving it or riding it, then it starts knocking.

Old 10-03-2001, 03:14 PM
Trailblazer

The only "normal" noise I know of for the 500 motor is a ticking noise at idle. This noise usually disappears when rev'd. Sounds like your dealer is getting the 2 confused. If you have a loud knocking noise when rev'd I would say you have some other issue that the dealer or polaris needs to address immediately.

Old 10-03-2001, 05:43 PM
Trailblazer

The noise is a knocking noise that you can hear about 20ft. away from the scrambler.
Very distinct knocking.

Old 10-03-2001, 09:24 PM
Pro Rider

Take this advice to heart. TAKE IT BACK to the dealer. I am a service manager for a Polaris shop. I would hope that someone in your position would atleast bring it back to me so I could here it.

Seriously thou, I don't know of any knocking noise that this 400 should be making. My 300 Xpress has a knocking noise which is a little piston slap. This is normal for my engine. Your engine does not have a normal knocking noise. TAKE IT BACK!!

I have to ask, did you get the extended warranty? I never believed in those extended warranty's until I became a Service Manager. The piece of mind you get if you do have problems is well worth it.

TAKE IT BACK!! At least so the people at the dealership can here it. It wouldn't hurt to have more than one person listen to it while you are there.

I envy you. I wish my check book said I was allowed to get one of these Scrambler X's. I love the way they look. I am a big 2 stroke fan and would love to a 2 stroke hooked to this 4x4 machine.

Old 10-03-2001, 10:48 PM
Range Rover

Elroy, would you mind to give a comment to my posting "trouble with disabling 4 WD at a Sportsman 500, please? I am in Europe and we do not really have any experienced service guys out there. I bought my ATV at a mowers-shop, so he doesnt know much about ATVs , I guess.

And about the knocking noise: Yes, I have some knocking noise at my Sportsman too....

Would be glad to hear from you

Martin

Old 10-04-2001, 12:15 AM
Trailblazer

OK, I'll tell you all I know about this. First, If I recall correctly, the scrambler x is a 500 4-stroke 2x4 . In my case, I just have the 500 2x4 scrambler, and mine had a "TICKING" noise at idle. The dealer said it was just the nature of the beast. I WASN'T SATISFIED WITH THAT RESPONSE, so after hours of listening and hunting I found this tick. It was the motor mounts. At idle the bolts running through the rubber motor mounts "tick" against the frame tabs. When the rpms increase, the torque of the engine moves all in one direction and it would quit ticking. As far as yours "knocking" this could be serious. I can tell you that the oil pump and the water pump on mine are noisey {they do have a knocking noise} , but you can only hear this if you are sitting on it , {OR LOOKING FOR A TICKING NOISE!!!} I hope this help's , if not i'm sorry for the long post.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img]

Old 10-04-2001, 08:33 AM
Pro Rider

The Scrambler X is a 400 2 stroke 4x4. Not a 500 4 stroke. It is definately a 4x4. Not a 2x4. This 400 2 stroke engine is probably the quietest engine that Polaris makes. It should definately not be making any kind of knocking noise.

Old 10-04-2001, 09:25 AM
Trailblazer

Elroy: The black scrambler x is not a 400 2-stroke it is a 500 4-stroke. The blue and yellow scrambler x 4x4 is the 400 2-stroke. Check with a sales manager at the dealer you work at.

Old 10-04-2001, 10:12 AM
Trailblazer

I have the Black 500 4 stroke, I had the dealership listen to it and they said they thought it was normal. When I asked about what it could be, one of the mechanics said "Do you have the extended warranty, well then, ride till something happens and will fix it"
Do you believe that. I am talking to the manager today about it.
Thanks

Old 10-04-2001, 02:09 PM
Pro Rider

I have the Scrambler 500 X 2x4 also (Elroy please put foot in mouth) and it has a ticking noise at idle, not very loud. When RPM's are increased it goes away, dealer told me it was just the timing chain, common on all 500's sounds harmless to me also, just figured I would ask them. If yours is getting louder with the increase of RPM's you have a serious problem, don't take no for an answer, try another dealer, or contact Polaris and let them know. Good Luck.

Quick Reply: Scrambler X knocking noise