Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

POLARIS SPORTSMAN 500 WHEEL STUDS

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2001, 12:51 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can anyone tell me or know of a place where I can find longer wheel studs for a POLARIS 500 H.O. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-frown.gif[/img]

Old 10-09-2001, 02:50 PM
Pro Rider

Trying to run a thicker wheel???

Use the OE application rear studs on the front location as they are just a bit longer and plenty for .190 double wall wheels.

I then pulled therear hubs and had about .100" machined off the face. Take a wheel along for fitment!

Old 10-09-2001, 09:49 PM
Trailblazer

OK NOW I SEE SAID THE BLIND MAN. Diesel pro I think you run the same wheels on your machine dont you.I have not seen a set of the DOUGLAS .190 aluminum wheels other than pictures an advertisements I didnt know the wheels are double walled.Could you explain about the rear hubs is the hub not flat or what? is the hole in the wheel big enough for the hub to fit in like the factory wheel.Also you said to replace the front studs with the O.E.M. rear studs because they are a little longer and this should enable me to be able to use the DOUGLAS .190 solid aluminum wheels on my H.O. by the way do you have any pictures of your machine I sure would like to see it.
Thank's SAMCLOW

Old 10-09-2001, 11:34 PM
Pro Rider

If you use the rear studs in the front, they will work. They are longer because the rear hub is aluminum and much thicker.

For the rear, we "faced" the hub .100" to allow more stud protrusion. Worked like a charm, but the pilot is quite tight, so it's best to take a wheel along to fit vs turning down the pilot any more than necessary. As I recall, grass can get through the gaps in the rear wheel on the stock hubs, but not on mine.

On the Douglas wheels, they LEAK. 2 of 4 (one front and one rear)on my machine leaked and the last pair came direct from Douglas. The welds need to be inspected, and if you find any voids or black ****, grind out with a die grinder and JB Weld them. No bigee, just where the halves join, they aren't being welded properly to seal. They then blow bubbles out between the halves.

I went to 7" fronts with the same back spacing so the extra 1" was outward. This gave just enough room to get the sidewall off of the tierod ends. For the rear, I went 8" I believe, but did more in than out. IIRC, 5 in 3 out??? This brought the rear width back to reality and keeps them pretty close to the same width as the rear mud skirts.

Old 10-10-2001, 12:04 AM
Trailblazer

Hey, thanks for the information IM glad someone knows what to do to fix this problem.I talked to a guy at Tread Depot his reply was that Douglas Wheel co. knows there is a problem when using the wheels on polaris but there fix is longer wheel studs, that no one makes best I can tell so if you buy them he said good luck.I should just Buy ITP aluminum wheels but they cost so much more and in my opinion the no fitting air leaking Douglas .190 solid aluminum just look better on the POLARIS ATV. PS. If you e-mail me back I have some pictures I have downloaded of a 2000 yellow 500 H.O. with the 27" Mudrunners and the Douglas .190 wheels.